What s this car worth?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDowra

Reaction score
My Car
Searching for car currently
spacer.png
[/img]
spacer.png
[/img]
spacer.png
[/img]
spacer.png
2860853730044772710OsMpHz_th.jpg'%20alt='2860853730044772710OsMpHz_th.jpg'

well if I did this right I am wondering what to offer for this car. All I have is the pictures I haven't seen it in person yet, so I am looking for a ballpark figure. Car has been sitting for about 15 years like you see it. It is a H code car I know that much engine is original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know the first 5 digits of the VIN ?
305H119662 is what he sent for the vin
That would mean it's a 73 Mach 1, BUT the tail lights have black accent around them ( those were used on 71 and 72 Mustang's, But could have been changed out) stripes are for 71 and 72 also but easily changed as well. The grille is not correct either. The H would mean 351 C 2v. I would ask some questions.depending on if it runs and how much is there parts wise will also help in getting a rough value for it. and any rust issues as well

Not so fast... check the front frame rails, shock towers, engine compartment sheet metal... then feel the floors... then give the trunk a good once-over.

If anything feels squishy or saggy (like carpet being pushed through a hole in the floor), has big rusty holes, or doesn't seem otherwise solid... then Yeah - run away.

Mine actually looked better than this one, but was pretty bad in the usual spots. Any of the above issues noted, I'd say not more than $1200 (assuming it's not a runner).

If you have a way to tow it I'd offer virtually nothing. They can either part it out, have a salvage yard take it away or give it away. It looks like very little is salvageable. Of course the owner probably thinks a good washing and some armor all and it will look as good as new.:rolleyes:

I can tell you that you are looking at a 10 grand restore. I know you want to save it, but you can buy a real nice one cheaper than you can restore that. pull those cowl screens off and look in there, if they are rusty, you can add a lot more work.

The engine bay does't look rusty. Looks like the rear of the car has been repaired . Need to look at that. Need to look at cowl frame rails floors and trunk. Is it a 71-72 or 73. Try to locate all vin #s.Try to turn motor over or start would be better. What parts come with it. If all checks out good its worth 2k-3k.

In addition to the rust inspection, are all the parts there? It looks like a fold down rear seat but I didn't see the fold down parts or the bottom of the rear seat. It's missing the front bumper and has the wrong grill, missing the shock tower brace on one side. Has the standard interior, but looks incomplete.

The big ticket item is rust repair. Other potential big tickets are the total cost of all the various missing parts, body work costs, & engine repair costs.

If NO rust then $3k - $4k depending on what all parts are missing. However, it appears that some items are missing. If truly a complete car, running, and just ugly to look at; it may be worth $5k since it would just need paint and freshening up. Sight unseen & just based on those pics: $500.

Btw, welcome to the forum! Where in Alabama are you? War Eagle!

Whatever you do keep us posted.

With a 73 VIN , it is a parts car

To many things say that is a 71 or 72 body

I think it is a 72

Has 71 - 2 fenders

Has 71 - 2 quarter panels, no rear bumper fillers, no extended 5 MPH rear bumper

If the frame and floor is good than it would be a decent project.

It looks like its been fixed up once or twice before so its a hodge podge of parts on wheels.

Its been sitting so long that even if you can start it your still going to completely rebiuld the motor.

It looks like there is not much interior left.

I would think it worth $500 to $1000

Nothing 10K-15K and alot of time couldnt fix.

Up here in Canada this would be a decent find.

If its a rust bucket then its a parts car

When i when to looked at mine i had a flash light pulled up the carpet didn't look to bad.

In hind sight i wish i bang a floor jack, i would have seen that the floors was replaced but the did a piss poor job, it looked good from the top. as well as some bad spots on the frame.

Let me get this straight. It's sitting in mud, the interior is trashed and it got a mixed bag of 71-73 parts. Tell me again why this is worth more than a few hundred. I see a Eleanor project after the car is gutted and almost everything has to be redone. I'd figure $10K JUST for body work and paint and a few parts. Then there is the engine, interior and everything else. Can you say money pit.:(

One man's trash...

It's really in the eye of the beholder. Like I said, when I got mine, it was probably in worse shape and I paid $1600.

Another factor is availability - living in West Texas (90 miles from the next town of the same size) makes it tough to be overly-picky... I know I couldn't just run 30 or so miles over to the next 'berg or 'burb and find the perfect project car for a couple hundred.

Some people have luck, some have money, some have skills, and some have better selections to choose from. But everybody has the desire - so that can't be all bad, in my book.

Quick question guys-

Why does everyone think the Vin shows 73?

The vin is obviously messed up but I think the first digit could have been missed by the owner or just copied down wrong.

the "3" should actually be an "F" --- and the actual VIN for the car is most likely 2F05H or 1F05H. All 71-3 cars have this VIN digit order...

That script "F" on the dash plate throws a lot of people, especially those like me that need (but are fighting it) GLASSES. LOL

Ray

Yep I haven't gotten enough information will try to get to look at car pretty soon. Thanks for the welcomes, I'm in Hartselle Alabama

I´m with Don here... Maybe the dash pad which holds the vin came from another car... It is much more likely to have this part changed than Fenders, bumpers, etc etc etc...

This car in Uruguay can easily cost 10K because thatwould be the second sportsroof in the country!... But there the story is different...

If i were you i´d start by thinking if you actually can restore a not even close to a running car that is not complete, etc etc... Then, what you can pay for the car is actually irrelevant... If you pay 500 dollars or 2000 it realy doesn´t make any difference. We can all be aware this is not a 5K dollars restoration and it wont be done in 6 monthes...

So, if you really want THIS car, the initial cost of purchasing it wont matter at the end... I think this restoration, to be decent is not cheaper than 15 or 20K..

Let´s start by the obvious...

Paint Job: you have to do a total job in this matter, in and out, from floors, trunk, engine bay, cosmethic in the engine etc... Not less than 6 or 7K for cheap...

Body work: It depends on what the guys are concerning but a 15 year sitting car MUST have some issues... Assuming it has not being crashed badly and the frame is in its shape, you can assume that you are going to need not less than 3K to do it right... again cheap i think...

Interior missing parts: If you are going to do a decent job, your interior need to be at least complete... I dont know much about interior parts needing or the costs of those things but buying the well known chinesse replica parts, not NOS or anything, i can assume that not less of 2K just on cosmethic parts is fair. Then, you´re gonna have to deal with dash, heater, parking brake and those other stuff that needs to be in shape in a restored car... Let´s say another 1K and i think i´m cheap again...

Exterior cosmethics: You dont have grill, bumpers, we can assume that the light´s are 50% in need to be replaced... Ehmmm... trims here and there, all the mounting kits for the grille, the lights, the parts missing in the NASA hood... In this matter, we can assume that 3K is a fair cost to do it right...

Engine Bay: Even if the car starts, i´m sure you´re gonna have to touch the engine.. at least the cylinder heads, carb, cooling system, distribuitor, sparks, cables, alternator etc etc... We can assume that in here, at least you´re gonna spend 2K?... does it sound right??... We can add another 1or 2K to do brakes, steering box, some missing engine bay components, clutch and gearbox mantainence etc...

Well... here we are close to 18K and we still need wheels and tires and some other stuff that ALWAYS appear here and there...

Bottom line... for a restoration, what you pay for the car in my opinion is irrelevant... You just need to think if this car is restorable by you or not... In that matter, we can help you too!!!...

Hope it helps friend!

Back