What would be an early build date for new model?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
We were talking about what would be an early build date for a Mustang in a discussion about the rear seats and seat belts in one of the members cars.

I had written about how Ford does their model changes during the July 4 plant shut down. I had thought I saw serial #100001 on eBay but it turned out to be #100003 but I did find when I posted the link when it was for sale. The Marti says it was Serialized on 6/19/72. Actual Build was 7/21/72. So they must have had a slow start with the model change. Shut down is usually two weeks so this car was started first day back but not assembled until a over a month later. Took a long time to fill up the system and pump out a car seems like.

It was not released until 10/27/72 and did not sell until 1/11/73. With all that time I would suspect the car was use by Ford internally for something to not be released any sooner.

The pewter color and ginger interior seem to clash. When I looked that interior and color combination up in Marti's book they only made 2 of them in FB and 14 coupes and zero verts.

So a pretty odd car for sure. Notice they called the color Cinnamon in the ad, lol.

I was surprised that you could still call up the info on eBay, was over two years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Ford-Mustang-Cinnamon-/351327287911?forcerrptr=true&hash=item51ccbcfa67&item=351327287911&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&nma=true&si=qN7yVrAZIQx7d8e3PyrNUwO5NQs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Vq4AAOSwPhdU72H%7E/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/SRUAAOSwstxU72H7/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/D40AAOSwBLlU8Pfg/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/B5UAAOSwv0tU8Pfm/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

Before Ford Dearborn (DAF) changed over to the actual 73 Mustang model production, they had to make some changes in the production line processes to accommodate the 1972 to 1973 model changes. I believe Ford needed to check how the new processes would work to ensure efficiency on the line. From July 20 through July 31 1972 , Ford DAF ran 10 numerically sequential consecutive unit numbered Mustangs down the line to be built. The VINs starting with 100001 through 100010. These cars actually shared the line with very late 1972 models being produced at the same time. They were staggered in between these late produced 1972 models. This allowed production engineers to see side-by-side comparisons in their proposed assembly line process changes. 1972 models ended production on August 4, 1972. Actual 1973 Mustang (full speed) production began on August 7, 1972. i'd say these first 10 cars received quite a bit of attention. Unique cars simply because of their contribution to production.

Ray

Before Ford Dearborn  (DAF) changed over to the  actual 73 Mustang model production, they had to make some changes in the production line processes to accommodate the 1972 to 1973 model changes.   I believe Ford needed to check how the new processes would work to ensure efficiency on the line.   From July 20 through July 31 1972 , Ford DAF ran 10 numerically sequential consecutive unit numbered Mustangs down the line to be built.  The VINs starting with 100001 through 100010.  These cars actually shared the line with very late 1972 models being produced at the same time. They were staggered in between these late produced 1972 models. This allowed production engineers to see side-by-side comparisons in their proposed assembly line process changes.  1972 models ended production on August 4, 1972.  Actual 1973 Mustang (full speed) production began on August 7, 1972.  i'd say these first 10 cars received quite a bit of attention. Unique cars simply because of their contribution to production.

Ray
Great info Ray. That car would have been a great one just for how early and odd it was. The Ginger interior just did not work with the paint color, lol. So maybe the reason the car was held so long was they went to it for reference over and over?

I did text the owner of the green 71 also but have not got any more info back from him. Phone dead but can text.

I knew a person selling a 71 J code 429 car in pewter with ginger. The selling price was very reasonable about 3 years ago and the car was completely restored. I do admit the combination is unique.

Before Ford Dearborn  (DAF) changed over to the  actual 73 Mustang model production, they had to make some changes in the production line processes to accommodate the 1972 to 1973 model changes.  I believe Ford needed to check how the new processes would work to ensure efficiency on the line.  From July 20 through July 31 1972 , Ford DAF ran 10 numerically sequential consecutive unit numbered Mustangs down the line to be built.  The VINs starting with 100001 through 100010.  These cars actually shared the line with very late 1972 models being produced at the same time. They were staggered in between these late produced 1972 models. This allowed production engineers to see side-by-side comparisons in their proposed assembly line process changes.  1972 models ended production on August 4, 1972.  Actual 1973 Mustang (full speed) production began on August 7, 1972.  i'd say these first 10 cars received quite a bit of attention. Unique cars simply because of their contribution to production.

Ray
So I have owned this car for a few years now and will for the rest of my life. Ray's information is very interesting to me. Can it be confirmed anywhere? I know I could pay Kevin Marti to research my car, but if this information is already documented in print somewhere I would seek out a copy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before Ford Dearborn  (DAF) changed over to the  actual 73 Mustang model production, they had to make some changes in the production line processes to accommodate the 1972 to 1973 model changes.  I believe Ford needed to check how the new processes would work to ensure efficiency on the line.  From July 20 through July 31 1972 , Ford DAF ran 10 numerically sequential consecutive unit numbered Mustangs down the line to be built.  The VINs starting with 100001 through 100010.  These cars actually shared the line with very late 1972 models being produced at the same time. They were staggered in between these late produced 1972 models. This allowed production engineers to see side-by-side comparisons in their proposed assembly line process changes.  1972 models ended production on August 4, 1972.  Actual 1973 Mustang (full speed) production began on August 7, 1972.  i'd say these first 10 cars received quite a bit of attention. Unique cars simply because of their contribution to production.

Ray
So I have owned this car for a few years now and will for the rest of my life. Ray's information is very interesting to me. Can it be confirmed anywhere? I know I could pay Kevin Marti to research my car, but if this information is already documented in print somewhere I would seek out a copy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best to contact Kevin Marti and have them investigate and document.  Most of my info is from old Marti reports and general discussions with like-minded enthusiasts. Until other info is presented, I will stand by my posts.  I am still learning and open to review all info.

Keep us posted on what you find. 

Ray

Back