WHAT'S IN A NAME

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you discribe your car

• Total voters
I usually call it the Mach 1, my wife calls it "Kermit the frog" because of the color to tease me.I catch myself calling it that too sometimes.So thats where my forum name came from. :p Eric

I was talking to a buddy of mine who workes with used cars (he's the runner)

So he was telling me how all 71-73 Fastback Mustangs are Mach 1's.. so I tried explaning how that is not a true statement, his boss the owner of the used car lot, told him I didn't know what I was talking about.

so I brought down the Ford Dealer Training Book for 1972 I have and showed him, he said " if his sales guys don't call them Mach 1's no one will buy them, who wants a Sportroof? they want Mach 1's". and he walked away.

in the mean time my buddy still thinks his boss is right and I'm wrong. Ohh well :)

I sometimes describe my car as a Mach 1 wearing a Grande suit.

Very few people have ever heard of a Grande. People have

complimented my car then ask "what is it?". When I say similar

to a Mach 1, they light up.

It has the 4V quench Cleveland, toploader, 9 inch, disc brakes,

comp suspension, instrument cluster w/tach, Hurst shifter etc.

mike

I don't feel left out with mine not being a Mach, but I'm not going to lie, I've never been a fan of the name Grande. I tell people mine is a Coupe.

I tell them the car is a Mach 1, and if they give me the "dear in a headlight look" I add Mustang.:)

I say "72 Mustang"...they say "Oh, it's a Mach 1?"...I say "no, but same body style"...they say "oh...it's a Mach 1 though, right?"
If I call mine a '71 Mustang, people do the same thing, "It's a Mach 1, right?" (Why, yes... yes it is.) ;)

When I call it a Mach 1, only maybe 1 of out 10 don't know what that is... and maybe 2 more will ask if it's a fastback. Pretty much everybody thinks it's cool. When I show them the "inspiration" picture (in the signature icon below) that's on my desk, they get excited and talk about how cool it's going to be when I get it done. Then I'll show 'em a couple of progress pictures and then it's, "Wow... that's a ton of work. I don't think I could've ever done that. Can't wait to see it when it's done." Never had anybody say, "Oh... it's one of those."

Since I've owned it, it's been [affectionately] called, "The Rustang." But most of my friends who've been following along and after having seen the progress, that title's kinda falling away. Now it's mostly, "How's the 'Stang' coming along?" "Frankenstang" hasn't quite caught on yet (the wife's idea - and totally appropriate and cool, IMHO)... but I plan on having some license plate frames made or something cool like that.

I don't feel left out with mine not being a Mach, but I'm not going to lie, I've never been a fan of the name Grande. I tell people mine is a Coupe.
You can use Grande if you are in the Taco Bell parking lot! ;)

You can use Grande if you are in the Taco Bell parking lot! ;)
or Starbucks :D
People may think our cars are all the same cause they all do look. alike.

Mine is refered to as "the 73". My car has rarely left my driveway since 2006 so haven't had many opportunities to have anyone comment on it.
Around the family mine is known as "the 73" too, that's because we have 3 other Mustangs. The we have the "Bullitt", the "Blue Mach", and the "White Mach"!

I usually call it the Mach 1, my wife calls it "Kermit the frog" because of the color to tease me.I catch myself calling it that too sometimes.So thats where my forum name came from. :p Eric
Hey I like it
I just showed this to the wife, she's still laughing. :D

Back