Wheel Fitment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72 Green Hornet 4sp

Reaction score
My Car
72 green/green CJ 4sp PW AC
I have a stock 72 Mach 1 that currently has Cragers on it. I want to go with the stock Magnum 500's 15x7 with 275 60 15 in the back and 245 60 15 in the front. Will this clear the fenders in front and back? Mostly I see people using 235 60 15's all the way around.

Also my car sits slightly lower in the back than the front. I remember in the mid 70's that was the look "drag look, wheels up" Short of replacing the leaf springs any easy way to raise it up the rear around and inch.

Thank God for forums!

Yes, those will clear easily as long as your suspension is at proper ride height. I ran 255/60/15 on mine all the way around for years without issue.

I have 245x60x15 on 15x7 500s, .75 inch front drop, slight interference at full lock. 275x60x15 on 15x8 500s in the rear, no interference but, could use another .50-.75 back spacing. Wheels are Wheel Vintiques from summit (see Summit for back spacing). Chuck

A 275 will probably be too wide for a 7 inch rim.

It seems that a 255 is the max width for that.

My tire guy insisted that even 255s were too wide but I made him install them on my original Magnums and he was surprised that they fit.

But a 275? I don´t think so either. If by chance they would fit they´d probably handle like crap with the sidewalls all bent inwards.

Running 255/60/15 on all 4 works even on my vert which has been SEVERLY lowered.

The rear has "flatter" leaf springs with additional 1 inch lowering blocks, the front has one inch shorter coils of which I cut another full turn off. Still they don´t rub the fenders which are NOT rolled btw.

With stock height or even one inch dropped coils they will definitely work.

Here are two pics of mine where you can see how much of a bulge the 255/60/15s make on a 7 inch rim (pic #1) and how low my car sits (pic #2)

(The Magnums are the originals that I painted black)

ganybe6a.jpg

e4yme8a6.jpg

Back