which type of muffler?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstang72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
351C 2v, 4bbl,FMX, 9" Rear 3.50 gears
Hey guys, I have a 72 conv, w/351c 2v, 4bbl edelbrock, headers. The exhaust came w/turbo mufflers which are pretty loud. It's louder w/the top down & can't even hear the stereo at times, kids complain. I want to decrease the exhaust sound without losing HP. I was told that I can purchase the mufflers from flowmaster (70 series) which should decrease the sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know flowmasters & Borla are expensive, any other place that sells at a affordable price? again, I want to make it quieter. At one point I was going to remove headers & go back to manifolds. Please provided any ideas that would rectify my situation. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I have a 72 conv, w/351c 2v, 4bbl edelbrock, headers. The exhaust came w/turbo mufflers which are pretty loud. It's louder w/the top down & can't even hear the stereo at times, kids complain.

I don't understand the problem?

The design of the muffler is key here.

BIG pipe (like my 3") will make it loud,

Center in Center out (like mine) will make it loud ,so go with offset in and out design if possible.

Cam shaft design,

Headers would too,

I live my Flomasters but are any of them quiet?

Mangna Flow or Big big case/small pipe size Flomasters.

The resonators are a good call. My old Probe had on and got nutty loud w/o them.

I put Dynomax mufflers on my 65 vert. They have a nice rumble but are fairly quiet...almost too quiet but is great if you have the top down.

My wife doesn't like the turbo mufflers on mine, too loud, so I'm going for the Dynomax VT next time, supposed to be reasonalby quiet cruising and make a little noise when the foot is down...

My wife doesn't like the turbo mufflers on mine, too loud, so I'm going for the Dynomax VT next time, supposed to be reasonalby quiet cruising and make a little noise when the foot is down...
Yup, when you mash the go pedal it gets a bit louder but not too loud, just a nice rumble.

You might just leave the kids at home........... :)

On a more serious note. Headers are often overlooked when it comes to noise problems. They add a lot to it. Going back to manifolds will probably lower the volume and give you better torque at low RPMs.

As for mufflers, I have the Edelbrock ones. Those are pretty uncommon, at least here I have yet to see another car with them. They sound full but are pretty quiet until you really step on the gas. Then .... well, gotta have SOME fun, don't we?

:)

If you take a look at the video in my signature below, you can hear the mufflers, although the music unfortunately covers the sound a lot.

But on the freeway, there is no way I can listen to the stereo either......

i have the longest glass packs I could get. It's old school. They are not quiet. When I step on it, they are really not quiet. Of course, I am normally in the 3000 rpm range on the highway too. But I drive the car for 'fun'.

My 71 302 has 2 1/4 dual exaust with three chamber Flowmasters and it has a notible rumble -- but not too loud when driving around town. As everyone else points out -- it gets noisy when driving faster.

My '71 351C 4V Grande has glass packs and H-pipe exhaust.

Don't know if it is factory original equipment. The problem being

there is no glass left. They are loud but I have not gotten

any tickets. The engine does occasionally set set off car alarms

when I drive by.

mike

I just replaced the mufflers on mine last week.

The idea was that it was just too loud.

I was looking for something quieter, but with some growl in the gas.

The shop I went to cut off my old mufflers, and then popped on a bunch of different mufflers so I could hear the sound.

I tried Flowmaster, Dynomax and Magnaflows.

The quietest were the Magnaflows, but they were still loud. I think they were maybe a decibel or two quieter than the others. I came to the conclusion that there was no such thing as a quiet muffler on my car.

I ended up with the flowmasters. They were just a little bit louder than the others, but it was pretty slight. The throaty rumble was absolutely awesome, especially when I was on the pedal. Before my car sounded pretty loud. Now it sounds mean. It made a huge difference.

Back