Whining noise from rear end

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchandford

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 "M" Code. 351C and 4 speed toploader.
Ok this might be another simple question, but I have to ask it.

I hate 'weird' noises from my cars. i understand my stang is 40+ years old, but the drivetrain isn't.

Symptom: Whining noise from the rear end when slowing down, noise appears at around 35 mph and continues until about 20. I have a 4 speed toploader and 351 C. I am still not sure what kind of rear end I have, I think it is an open rear end. Also, someone mentioned how to tell the difference between and 8 and 9" rear end, but I wasn't paying enough attention and can't find it now.

Does Anyone have any idea about this noise?

thanks for the info, now I just need to get back tot he car and check it out.

I haven't done anything back there yet. I noticed the noise on the way home from the purchase, but haven't really driven it a lot since. I was thinking about going through it when I get settled in at my new duty station because, as I said, I think it is an open rear end and I would like to go with a posi instead.

I had the same thing going on with my '78 K5 Blazer... it started immediately after a loud 'POW!' from the rear as I was heading up an on-ramp. When I slowed down at the next off-ramp, the whine was absolutely horrible (more of a high-pitch grinding that only sounded like a whine because of how fast the axle was spinning). The whine would go away if I popped the truck in neutral while decelerating, but I had no intention of actually driving like that. Otherwise, it would 'seem' normal during acceleration.

When I got it to the Hobby Shop a few days later, I opened up the rear diff and discovered that the spider gears were the issue - the 'back-sides' of just about all of the teeth on the right axle cog were pretty much smoothed or chunked out. Swapped out the rear axle altogether, which sucked because mine was a 12-bolt Limited Slip and the 'new' one was open. I went that route partly because it was bent anyway (previous owner hammered that poor truck) and I have no doubt the abuse was the cause.

I hope yours isn't as bad as mine was, but I would really look over everything in the diff and make sure all the splines on the axles are intact.

Conversely, I had a sealed rear wheel bearing go out on my '95 Honda shortly after I got it back on the road (after acquiring it 'dead' and rebuilding the engine)... but it was more of a constant whine that would change pitch with speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A whine is usually caused by the gears not meshing properly, caused by improper setup or bearing failure, possibly pinion yoke nut loose.
Good point. However, after my experience with the K5's rear end blowing up, I've become a 'worse case scenario' kinda guy. :D

"whining noise from rear end"

Look under car and make sure the rear end is not female.

If not gears meshing wrong or bearings, or both.
It took me a millisecond to register the joke.

Was like, "female?" the yoke? pinion?...oh...I got it.

Very nice.

It could be a number of things such as pinion depth or backlash being a bit off from the manufacturers specific clearances, it varies from company to company. Generally Richmond gears set up differently from Motive as an example. The best I've seen over all for street use are original Ford gears. Just one guy's opinion. I hope you figure it out. Chuck

If you hear it say that you never listen to it, then it may need to be replaced..lol

Back