Whiskey vs Bourbon

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bourbon is an american whiskey (mainly KY) made of not less than 51 percent corn, barley, and rye or wheat grain.
So majority corn, but can contain grains?

I forgot about the Kentucky thing.
Yeah I think it was named because it was founded in bourbon county KY. french royalty or something like that.

The label on my bottle of JD says old no. 7 sour mash whiskey. There may be something to bourbon needing to be made in KY.

JD is a TN sour mash, not a bourbon. I've heard Lots of folks call JD bourbon... I lived in KY for three years, I got schooled on that point early. Before that I used to drink scotch, after living there I'm a bourbon man for life. My favorite is makers mark for the money and if you really want to try something serious, try bookers and let me know what you think... I also love vodka, maybe a little too much.

I remember a whiskey called Old Weller, 115 proof and smooth as buttermilk.

Have not been able to find it in recent years.

mike
Sometimes I get W.L. Weller, I wonder if it's made by the same distillery? That one's 80 proof.

Maker Mark is good Burbon.
Yes...yes it is! Right now I have Wild Turkey 81 proof in the cabinet. That's pretty good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Laws of Bourbon

No bourbon blog would be complete without a discussion of what actually makes whiskey a "bourbon." So, what is bourbon? Federal law will tell you.

To legally be a bourbon, at least 51% of the grain used to make it must be corn. No less. Further, the whiskey cannot be distilled at a proof higher than 160, and when put into the barrels for aging, it cannot be higher than 125 proof. The aging must take place in fire-charred oak barrels that have not yet held any spririts. If the whiskey is distilled and aged in this way, it can be called straight bourbon. Finally, nothing can be added during the bottling other than water, making bourbon a very "natural" drink.

This all seems very technical. However, within these rules, there is still a lot of room for creativity and individuality. How else could we have such a variety of spririts that qualify as bourbon? Some of this creativity is found with the amount of corn used - 51% is only the minimum, and several distillers use much more than that. Also, the level of char in the aging barrels will influence the character of the bourbon, as will the other grains used in addition to the corn such as rye or wheat. And, of course, the years spent in the barrels will have a direct impact on the taste, color, and subtleties of a bourbon whiskey.

In addition to straight bourbon, we have "small-batch" bourbon, blended bourbons, and single barrel bourbons. Small batch bourbons, such as Knob Creek and Baker's, are bourbons that are bottled from a blend of a select handful of barrels. Such bourbons are usually aged between 6 and 9 years, and have top-shelf qualities due to the careful decisions that go into the selection of the batch of barrels used in the bottlings. Only the choicest barrels or bourbon are used.

Single-barrel bourbons are, well, bourbons bottled from a single barrel. Each single barrel bourbon is bottled without be blended with the bourbon from seperate barrels. Single barrel bourbons may have slight taste changes from barrel to barrel.

Blended bourbons are bourbons that are bottled from the blend of several (like hundreds of) different barrels - many more barrels that used in small batch production. Blends allow for control over taste and other characterisitcs so there is continuity between a bottle today and one sold 10 years from now.

Well, there you are. As for me, I have the day off and it's cold and rainy outside - the perfect opportunity to pour myself a glass of something to warm me up."

JD is the same recipe as bourbon except it is run through a post aging charcoal filter. Pure bourbon is bottled straight out of the barrel.

My personal favorites are Woodford reserve and Makers Mark.

In honor of this thread I made it a point to tour the Jack Daniel's Distillery yesterday. The tour guide said that federal law states what can be called Bourbon and that the initial product before the charcoal filtering could technically be a bourbon but the JD process of charcoal filtering is outside of the federal law definition. Thus Tennessee Whiskey is produced.

Btw the tour was awesome. You can buy an entire barrel of JD whiskey for around $10 to $12k. They will bottle it up into several bottles with a custom label with your name on it and you get the original barrel too. They have a large room covered with small name plaques that show who all has bought a barrel. I'd like to have my name on that wall. :D

In the meantime I bought a commemorative bottle.

Mike, they also said that they send more whiskey to California than anywhere else by a huge margin.

JD is the same recipe as bourbon except it is run through a post aging charcoal filter. Pure bourbon is bottled straight out of the barrel.
True from what I saw except JD is run through a PRE aging charcoal filter. The Gentleman Jack whiskey is run through the charcoal filter a second time post aging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back