Why do these cars have instant street Cred

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my ford family purist used to call them the catfish mustangs.

Now they've slacked off a bit on the jokes as I've put a lot of work into it. I also still receive that "oh it's just a coupe" look. And.... Well all I have to ys to that is... Have fun backing up :)
Catfish Mustang better explain that 1 too me :)

Apparently in the 90's and 00's people came up with any way to demoralize the 71-73s. Good thing is as time has gone on the styling has gotten more attractive. Me being a young guy always liked them, but my parents, aunts, uncles etc did not and that's how I wound up with a 65 coupe for a first car. (Plus resto parts were cheap)

It's the looks of the car, gentlemen. Same theory behind your constant return to the Mustang Babes thread ;) It could have a 250 I6 in it and we'd still be all giddy if we found one just hanging about somewhere.

By comparison, the current Holden Commodore could pass for a VW Jetta from far away (along with 10 other modern 4-door cars), and it's two-door Monaro cousin looks like a 1996 Honda Civic scaled up in size, especially when riced out:

holden_monaro_bosozoku_by_tomacc-d32rbn7.jpg

How can you get exited about that?

-Kurt
I can't, just awful looking.

Ron

I can honestly say that I've never run across anybody that's outright dissed the '71-'73s... maybe made a bit of a 'face' when I mentioned mine, but either seeing it in person or showing pictures has always received nothing but positive response. First questions are usually: 1. Is it a Mach 1? 2. Does it have a Cleveland?

Based on the things most of the people I've spoken to about cars, styling, and trends these days... and the overwhelming majority would be happier to see a nicely restored Pinto, than the cookie-cutter import junk on the roads these days. All of the previously scorned models from all the manufacturers are enjoying a resurgence (if you will) for positive feelings and "street cred" of their own. Most of it's based on nostalgia, sure... but there's no denying that even a good-running, decent-looking Gremlin is going to turn heads more than a Kia Soul.

It's a no-brainer as to why our cars are enjoying so much love these days - WAY cooler than a Gremlin, after all. ;) :D

Mustangs are way cooler than an AMC gremlin but I will be the first to admit my buddies 304 powered gremlin he had in the mid 80's was a blast to drive and ride in.

GREMLIN X - had one - way too short for the V8 power. Mine had N-50-15's on the back and it wanted to swap ends every time I mashed it. Door frame cracked too. I felt like it was cheaply built. It had to go! It was competition orange and black and it attracted attention but just would not hook up good.

I am proud of our cars. The haters can go buy something else. :)

Ray

When I drive mine around it turns a lot of heads, gets a lot of "thumbs up" or waves. The biggest indicator for me is all the little kids that point and gawk and just love the car. I'm sure they don't know it is a Mustang, they just know it is COOL!!!!

Most of it's based on nostalgia, sure... but there's no denying that even a good-running, decent-looking Gremlin is going to turn heads more than a Kia Soul.
Hell, I'd rather drive a Pacer until the day I die than be seen in a Kia Bowl or Nissan Puke.*

-Kurt

*Unsurprisingly, "Juke" is Hebrew for "Cockroach." Given the look of the car, it shouldn't be that surprising. Ironically enough, it is a strong seller in Israel, where it is sold under the same name. How would you like to tell your wife that you just brought a Nissan Cockroach home from the dealer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of it's based on nostalgia, sure... but there's no denying that even a good-running, decent-looking Gremlin is going to turn heads more than a Kia Soul.
Hell, I'd rather drive a Pacer until the day I die than be seen in a Kia Bowl or Nissan Puke.*

-Kurt

*Unsurprisingly, "Juke" is Hebrew for "Cockroach." Given the look of the car, it shouldn't be that surprising. Ironically enough, it is a strong seller in Israel, where it is sold under the same name. How would you like to tell your wife that you just brought a Nissan Cockroach home from the dealer?
Normally I'd agree Kurt. However, between the pacer and this juke....

e2a2ejuj.jpg

485hp AWD GTR drivetrain. Regardless of it's extremely limited production and $665k price tag. cockroach it may be, at least the R version looks a wee bit better. Still ridiculous though I have to show my second fav auto maker some love ;)

-Kurt

Hemi means gods choice or god is gracious. So I guess a early Mopar wins naming kudos. Oh the sport version of a Kia Soul is a R yep that's right Rsoul

Normally I'd agree Kurt. However, between the pacer and this juke....
e2a2ejuj.jpg

485hp AWD GTR drivetrain. Regardless of it's extremely limited production and $665k price tag. cockroach it may be, at least the R version looks a wee bit better. Still ridiculous though I have to show my second fav auto maker some love ;)
lollerz

To each their own. I'd still rather own this Pantera than that Juke:

14smlqp.jpg
[/img]

-Kurt

-Kurt
Actually, I've had opportunities to drive the Kia Soul (as rentals - yes... more than once) and I can't actually say too much bad about 'em. It's cheaper and less time-consuming to drive [than fly] from San Angelo to San Antonio, and at almost 3 hours each way... usually for a week-long trip... I'd say that's a pretty good chance to formulate an opinion. Kia Soul - not so bad of a little econo-car. And given the choice between that and a Juke... Yeah... I'll take the Soul.

Not saying that I would trade anything I currently own for anything new out there that even sniffs of econobox.

Actually, I've had opportunities to drive the Kia Soul (as rentals - yes... more than once) and I can't actually say too much bad about 'em. It's cheaper and less time-consuming to drive [than fly] from San Angelo to San Antonio, and at almost 3 hours each way... usually for a week-long trip... I'd say that's a pretty good chance to formulate an opinion. Kia Soul - not so bad of a little econo-car. And given the choice between that and a Juke... Yeah... I'll take the Soul.

Not saying that I would trade anything I currently own for anything new out there that even sniffs of econobox.
My idea of an econo-car: Buy the Jaguar XKE convertible junker that's in two pieces in that junkyard north of me, and mate the salvagable XKE unibody structure on top of a stretched unibody from a Miata.

...and don't restore it. That's my idea of an econocar.

-Kurt

Back