WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpgCar sat 49" before I sold the motor and tranny that was in it. I've since bought the 1" drop upper control arm from SPC. The new motor is a full roller hydraulic 10.5 to 1 347 and backed with a TKO ll 5 speed.

There is a look that I'm after but I don't want to create unnecessary problems with a low hanging oil pan or headers so I went with taller tires front and rear. 27" and 29" verses the stock 25" tall tires. This will still keep the rockers at a good hight off the ground and yet fill the wheel wells and tuck in the tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds cool! The sound of a 347 stroker is bad ass. You are going to get a awesome driveline. The TKO will deffently get you some extra HP vs an automatic tranny.

I understand you, I really don't understand why the long tube headers allways are hanging that low under the car, that's why I'm building my own. Did'nt you go with the Milodon oil pan? That should give you a little bit more ground clearence, should'nt it? What kind of leafs and springs did you went with? :)

Yes that is the oil pan I have. The rear end I'm going with is out of a 70. A 9" with a 410 Strange center section. A really nice piece. I'm ordering my springs from Eaton with a 3" drop and adding in an adjustable sway bar. I like that your making your own headers. Mine were already modified to accommodate the mechanical clutch assembly so I had them ceramic coated and put back on last year before I decided to do this restomod. I actually like the race look of the Teflon wrap. Helps with engine bay heat as well. With the air extractors cut into the hood and the ram air being functional the fuel should stay cool and dense.

That was what I thought, your oil pan is the same as mine.. Why are you going with a 70 rear end, is that not as wide as a 71-73 rear end? Really nice quality parts your putting in that rear end, Strange are doing some nice stuff.. Are you going with a aluminum case? That is a big drop, but I'm sure it is going to look so good.. I hope that I can get my own that low.. I'm going with Global West all around, talked with a guy on pro-touring.com who owns a boss 351, he has Global West all around and says the 2" drop leafs actually lowers the car 3", so I hope he's right.. :D

Your right, it looks cool with teflon on, it gives it a race look.. I really like how you are doing all the mods on your car, every mod you do are functional, that's just cool!

The Strange is a locker with lightened gears but it's not the aluminum case. The 70 rear end is two inches shorter than a 71 so that I get a 7" hoop showing in my 12" rim instead of less or I would have to make the wide body an inch or two wider and it might start to look off.

Thanks for the tip Daniel, on the cluster. I will look into it on Friday.

Ooh yes, thats right that it is 2" shorter, I must have forgotten it.. :D Yeah you are probably right, I think you have found the perfect size for the wide body. It is going to look wild and bad ass with a hoop that wide!

You're welcome, we need to help each other.. :)

I've been searching for a remote trunk latch and everything I see is for 65-70. Anyone find anything for a 71-73 or knows why 70 will not work on 71?

image.jpgJust a before and after shot showing the added width. Still missing the moustache decal in the trunk and end caps but it's close to its final look. End cap to end cap is three inches wider than stock and wheel flare to wheel flare is six inches wider than stock. Exhaust tips will be powdercoated black. I would kill for a set of "obsidian's" new style tail lights. Anyonr have word on the possibility of getting a set ?

Wow, you have a very unique project. You are very talented. I never was a fan of fender flares but this really looks good. I think its going to look like a modern version of the 71-73 Mustang. Can't wait to see what you do next.

I could definitely see this as a period concept car right next to the Mercury El Gato, Mustang Milano, and the Ford Tridon.

Looks unbelievable. I really like the blackout you chose on the valance too - really lightens up the back end styling and complements it. The quad exhaust tips look just perfect too.

-Kurt

image.jpgFinished building the air extractor for the hood. A final sanding on the piece and it's ready to make a mold.

image.jpgThe idea is to mend it into the hood so that it's flush but the mold itself will have a lip around the perimeter incase there is any interest in the vent and someone wants to sit it on top.

Really nice my friend.. I would really like to see how you are building these parts step by step in fiberglass, do you have any pics of that? :)
I don't have pics of building it but what I do when I fabricate pieces in fibreglass is mock it up in cardboard and masking tape first. Once I'm happy with the design I cut all the shapes apart lay them flat and trace them onto the fg. Then I use the Locktite H3300 two part epoxy and bond all the fg together. After an hour or so of curing I get right to the bondo and sanding. Then build primer and a finer sanding. Ready for the making of the mold. Next week I should have the newly made plug in my hand. I will need to make or find a nice grill for it do I can cut out the opening. Then it gets perminently installed into the hood.

This car is shaping up very nicely. Can't wait until I see the finished car!!!
Thanks. I'm enjoying the process but I have to say I don't think I'd mind being at the stage your at already. There will be a ton more dust to eat and wrenching to be done before I'm there.

Latest posts

Back