WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpgEvery time I walk into the shop and look at the car there is something else that I see that I'd like to put my own spin on and doing away with the plastic grill is it. I'm bouncing around the car while I wait for a part or something to dry and this is when I start another thing and loose track of time. I have to say its fun though.

image.jpgI want the grill to be very deep and a little shorter. Giving it more space between the light and the grill. I'm going for rough shapes right now and then the finer detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, I like that.. I was actually thinking about doing my grille the same way, but now I don't want to steal your idea.. :D What are you going to use in the middle of the grille, if you understand? :)

Very nice, I like that.. I was actually thinking about doing my grille the same way, but now I don't want to steal your idea.. :D What are you going to use in the middle of the grille, if you understand? :)
My friend you can use any of my ideas. I would only be flattered not upset. Besides , when I'm done I'm probably going to make a mold from it and have it in fibreglass then wrap it in carbon fibre instead of black paint. Anyone can have it if they want it. I actually decided that all my "stock looking" custom decals are going to be in a very dark satin finished carbon fibre instead of black. I met with the graphic artist on Sunday at my shop and I think it's going to be pretty cool when I get to that stage sometime in April. Haven't chosen the type of mesh grill I'm going to use yet. I need to visit my metal supplier to see what I like.

Thanks my friend, you are a great man.. :)

I like that idea, I'm sure it will look really nice with the carbon look on the grille. That's a nice choice with the decals, you don't see many cars done that way, really nice idea. I've seen a Pontiac GTO with carbon fiber decals with clear on, looks pretty nice. It will also match the carbon fiber style gauges, that's nice! :)

image.jpg

image.jpgback on the hood

Epoxied into place

image.jpgfilled.

image.jpg

image.jpg just a before and after to get an idea of direction for the new grill design.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Awesome work! What are the next step from here, are you going to make it in fiberglass?
Next I mix up about half a litre of fibreglass resin and brush on a heavy coat on both sides of the cardboard portions. Let it set up and apply a second coat. This will make the cardboard very rigid and ready for accepting body filler.

image.jpgThis is now ready for filler and shaping. Once I've done that over the weekend it will get a few coats of primer and sanded smooth. Hopefully this plug is ready to have a mould made from it and I can have my new grill surround by mid month.

image.jpgFinished shaping and priming the piece.

image.jpgI change the images to black and white so I can see the overall shapes better. Going to sit on the piece for a few days to see if I want to make any changes then off to the fibreglass shop.

Wow, I like that grille a lot!!!!!

Hmm, I still have my standard grille here that I don´t need. Don´t give me ideas!! :)

Wow, I like that grille a lot!!!!!

Hmm, I still have my standard grille here that I don´t need. Don´t give me ideas!! :)
Thanks. If you have a spare grill kicking around, it doesn't hurt play. I used a hand held zip saw to cut out the honeycomb.

I like the look.

For mine I am thinking of adding the HD road glide led lights in the center of the grill and setting back the 7" round lights.

Thinking of making the 7" ones high beam only, but with led lit rings to make them stand out.

image.jpgSounds good. I'm going with these 7" black headlights with the angel eyes. You can find a large selection on - topgearautosport.com

Sounds good. I'm going with these 7" black headlights with the angel eyes. You can find a large selection on - topgearautosport.com
Those are the ones.

I have one aircraft landing light. Thought about finding it's mate, but figure a new hid or led might throw out more lumens.

Latest posts

Back