WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a lot of hours, but in the end I think it's all worth it. When do you expect to be finish with the car?

I've allways dreamed of a custom made 71-73 mustang like yours. I have a 73 Sportroof project I'm working on right now and trying to do some modifications to the body to. I am trying to build everything in steel, it's not as easy to work with as the fiberglass are. :D I made some rear quarter corners in steel and welded them into the body and build a new rear bumper in steel to, but it was to difficult to make it look good, so I cut it of again. What a waste of time. :D So now I have to some up with a new idea and a new way to go.

Maybe I should try to make it in fiberglass like you are doing, seems to be a nice idea.

What are your idea with the paint? :)
Steel is really nice and it can be difficult when your making complex curves but fibreglass is a whole other animal that can also be tricky. I have two very skilled people that are coaching me and taking on a lot of the work. Fibreglass shaping, in a refined way, and mould making is not something I'm capable of. Design in is what I'm good at. As for paint, I have an idea of where I'm going but I haven't committed yet so there is nothing to tell till all the car is primed and I can see the body lines and the car will let me know what colour it wants to be. Lol.

Yes it can be really tricky.. Sounds nice with the people who is teaching you with their skills. I have my dad to teach me to fabricate in steel, he can make the most incredible things.. It's good to have some people who can teach out of theirs knowledge.

You are right with the paint, it's not easy to decide.. There are to many colors! But as you say, when the car is primed and you sit down and look at the body lines, then you know which color you have to paint it in.

Good luck with the project. I am looking forward to see more pictures! :)

All I can say is wow! Don't know how I missed this thread and when I first started reading it like everyone else....it wasn't what I thought. Keep up the great work.

BTW I'm just down the QEW if you ever want to meet and have a cold one.

All I can say is wow! Don't know how I missed this thread and when I first started reading it like everyone else....it wasn't what I thought. Keep up the great work.

BTW I'm just down the QEW if you ever want to meet and have a cold one.
Thanks Ken. Maybe catch you at the Saturday cruise night. Send me a private message with your cell or email and we will hook up.

image.jpgFront end just needs a fine blocking and it's ready for taking a mold. Three pieces in all plus the hood.

image.jpgA possible direction on colour combination.

image.jpg Compared to stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpgThat image is more about the red in the tire than the paint colour for the car. I like black but it would hide too much of the body mods. The colour would be more like this gunmetal.

image.jpgVery close to what I'm looking for. Want to give the car a "Hot Wheels" red line tire feel. Old school with a twist, like the rest of the build.

image.jpg

dude that black and red is sick!!!!
It's crazy how good it looks but it was a colour I said I wouldn't do. Looks killer with the interior. Gonna be a tough call but we are months away from it being a decision.

image.jpgFeels like the Boss, always liked that look.

The black would look cool. I dont think it would hide all the mods, the black is a nice color, if it's done right. My plan for know are to paint mine in black, it's totally mean!

I know this is not a Mustang, but this bad ass Chevelle from Fesler is just awesome in black! This is the way I want to go with mine :)

I just want to share it with you :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That does look mean. I might get my head around black. I think the only thing holding me back is that it is not atypical. Bin done many times on countless mustangs. I'm looking for unique. But man does that black look good. Lol.

I think your car is going to be unique what ever color you paint it in :) But I do understand you, it has to be something really special, I have it on the same way..

Yes that black is just nice, all the chrome on the car is brushed.. Those effects together is unique for me, really like the look.. :)

I think your car is going to be unique what ever color you paint it in :) But I do understand you, it has to be something really special, I have it on the same way..

Yes that black is just nice, all the chrome on the car is brushed.. Those effects together is unique for me, really like the look.. :)
Even though Black was the first colour I said no too, I think I'm going to go with it. Really tough choice picking a colour. Says everything.

Even though Black was the first colour I said no too, I think I'm going to go with it. Really tough choice picking a colour. Says everything.

Mine would be burnt orange or lime green. Black is so hard to keep clean. Looks perfect for the 3 minutes after it is washed and then it is time to wash again. Pewter is also a great looking color that is easy to maintain.

Me too, I have allways thought that when you build a custom car you had to choose a crazy color for it. But after I found this Chevelle I changed my mind too. It just looks so clean and nice :)

Mine would be burnt orange or lime green. Black is so hard to keep clean. Looks perfect for the 3 minutes after it is washed and then it is time to wash again. Pewter is also a great looking color that is easy to maintain.
I will agree with you, the black is a difficult color to keep clean compared to the pewter/silver metallic. But then we can spent more time together with the car :D

That's funny. I like that. More quality time with the car when you have to clean it so often.

I have to say I can be a little lazy when it comes to doing to frequent a detail job but then I have an 8 yr old boy and 11 yr old girl who are very much into cars. I think I have some help there.

Nice work on the car. Not many people are willing to go that far.

I've always liked certain greys with reds/oranges that border on fluorescent. Black might be a bit much. The factory pewter would look good, but a dark charcoal grey might be what you are looking for. Closer to black at might, but still show the lines and shape of the car in daylight. Plus there is the difference between metallic and non-metallic paint.

Then again, I really like the color in your avatar.

That's funny. I like that. More quality time with the car when you have to clean it so often.

I have to say I can be a little lazy when it comes to doing to frequent a detail job but then I have an 8 yr old boy and 11 yr old girl who are very much into cars. I think I have some help there.
Yes, that was an awesome idea, or maybe not :D

Haha yeah I can be a little bit lazy too when it comes to cleaning the car, I often have better and more funny things to do.. It's great with those little helpers, they dont know yet how boring it is to clean a car, for them it is funny.. I have children to, but not that old yet :)

photo.JPGAFTER 5 MONTHS IN MY SHOP AND 5 MONTHS AT THE BODY SHOP GETTING SHAPED, THE KIT IS FINALLY READY TO HAVE MOULDS MADE AT THE FIBREGLASS SHOP. IN ABOUT 3-4 WEEKS IT SHOULD BE BACK AT THE BODY SHOP WITH THE NEW PARTS.

Back