WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B3FF923B-11CC-4762-9DF7-226ADBA63119.pngI am really loving this Polaris race car and now in searching for it I found it on eBay for sale. WOW. At one point I was inspired to paint my car with a very colourful drag race/ funny car paint scheme or the red black and white trans am series colour scheme.  Then I remembered how I don’t like two tones and that I could really mess up a three or more tones lol. Besides it hides as much as it accentuates.

in lookin at that though there are a lot of things to consider. Those fronts are like 17 ish rears maybe 15 but the rear tires are more like 355/90 on 12 deep. The stance is a little too much and the hood scoop and raise throw the whole thing front heavy. Have you thought about pinstriping very fine the obvious front fender raise on both the upper and lower sides joining after the quarter glass and then wrapping it over the wide mouth of the rear wheel and ending it on the original décor line of the rear quarter? That would give nice detail on the sides and let you play with any pattern or not on the hood?

It’s too big a commitment for a street car. I would either do a vintage race car build or what I’m up to. Besides, I’ve already purchased all my paint supplies and laid out my striping ideas. I’m seeing a local car wrapping place about the stripes when I’m back from vacation on Wednesday. The stripes have to have a vintage recognizable feel with a more modern touch. I hope it turns out just like I see it in my head. At this point I can’t experiment anymore. Need to get this done.

What I don't like with the Stiletto (orange one) and that Longoria car is the duck tail. Not the duck tail as such but the fact that the part above the tail lights gets way too high to look good.

It's like a huge marquee where nothing is really happening giving the rear completely wrong proportions. It just looks too heavy.

Now Angelo, you did a real good job in this regard as the whole "wider and bigger" design of your car makes that part look right in proportion.

Lol. The time line is that I’m back home from vacation Tuesday. So I’m back on body , build prime and blocking till the car is as perfect as we can get it. Paint is scheduled for the 20th. I’m set to reopen my shop from r buisness on the 22 so that any solvents in the air have disappeared. My work involves waterborne stains and I can’t contaminate the degreased and alcohol washed products once they are prepared for stain. Good news is it’s my slow season so I will have plenty of gaps in my work schedule to continue on the car. Cut/polish and ceramic coat the finished car end of February.

I had in mind to go with the rear wing the whole time because I couldn’t find a way to get a larger duck tail to work properly to the eye. So I put in a smaller one right across the back. Then I didn’t like how it finished on the ends, like the two cars mentioned, so I removed it and put in one that curves down on the ends like it sits now but all the while still going with the wing and taller 69-70 pedestals. The more my friends told me they preferred it without the wing and just the small duck tail the more convinced I was that I should eliminate it. That’s when I thought that the rear glass needed to take up the cool factor for the rear of the car. Still not formed, I hope I don’t run into issues with it.

Just as a side note as you were talking about two tone paint jobs.

I agree with your opinion that they cut the car in two.

I wanted to post the one two tone job I really liked. I don't remember where I found it on the internet.

IMG_4845.JPG

Could work for a vert but if that were a Fastback it would need to have a copper and not a black roof. If the person is very carful I’m sure a two tone could be cool but as I said, not for me.

To me, 2 tone top/bottom cars always look better on Mopar ::shrug::
I do like classic pickups with their stock 2 tones.

Last edited by a moderator:
3AF3BC98-739B-4B36-A298-FE7F89F9B668.jpegI did however find the inspiration for the two tone for this car. Big difference on the car shapes. Lots of realestate on the 73.

I don't think you can make a general rule for "multi" tone.

I use "multi" vs 2 tone term, because lots of 71-73 are duo tone. Black scoops hood with body color aren't that rare...

It always comes down to the way its done. How it suits the shapes, the color harmony once the combo interacts with light

and of course the quality of execution.

As an ex art director, I can tell you that picking the right set of colors is a discipline on itself and very often why the result fails to please the eye.

Tools like this one for instance, even if designed for screens, are a great way to generate combos that doesn't make your eye bleed even using colours you would not want to use looking at the one colour alone.

https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/

Using classic and wrongly thought safe combos, like red/grey/white, blue/black/white/grey etc.. aren't gonna work perse even if used countless times.

I've seen enuff classic "safe" combos fail once applied just because no to little attention is brought to their relationship on the shape of the car.

It's all the red you that you pick, the additional metallic particules size, the percentage of surface visible to the eye, how near the domiment color is to the other...

On my part I welcome anything, any colours if well combined.

We'll soon see how Angelo feels about that! (no pressure) :))

I see Mach 1 and Boss cars as decal packages. Those I love!! When I say two tone I mean that the care has a 60/40 or 50/50 looking split of colours. Like the blue and silver one above.

Blocking , blocking and more blocking. Only the first pass. Two more build and block to go. Aiming for the moon

Thanks Don. I am on a tare. Going to block and prep the buck for the rear glass in the hopes that it can be thermal formed next week. Also sending out all the trim pieces for powder coat.

It’s midnight and we managed to get ever part in final primer. Tomorrow we put on the trunk and doors and do a final blocking with the car assembled. So if all goes to plan, it looks like Thursday and Friday the car gets broken back down and sprayed base and clear. Saturday the rest of the car.

Latest posts

Back