WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remade the rear glass buck.  Put in an inch and a half height to the center of the glass to get the same radius as the original glass. Scoping out thermal forming companies to get it made. Marco and I figure the investment into making a heat source and vacuum table can just be put toward getting it made professionally. Also we've been playing with the tail lights and coming up with concepts. Now that we are successful with a couple of attempts we will have a finished piece to show this coming weekend.
That rear window is gonna be so sweeet!

Thanks. I've already talked to my third thermal forming company because it is a little unheard of to do what I'm thinking. Leave it to me to have a really good BAD idea. My M O I guess lol. I didn't know polycarbonate held moisture and therefore needs to first be dried in some kind of drier for 4 hrs before it's ready to be reheated for forming. Even then there is only a 3-4 hr window to make the form before it's re-absorbed the ambient moisture. There are clarity issues, bubble issues and even separating the piece from the buck after it cools issues. BUT WORTH IT if I make my vision a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I've already talked to my third thermal forming company because it is a little unheard of to do what I'm thinking. Leave it to me to have a really good BAD idea. My M O I guess lol. I didn't know polycarbonate held moisture and therefore needs to first be dried in some kind of drier  for 4 hrs before it's ready to be reheated for forming. Even then there is only a 3-4 hr window to make the form before it's re-absorbed the ambient moisture. There are clarity issues, bubble issues and even separating the piece from the buck after it. Oops issues. BUT WORTH IT if I make my vision a reality.
...might be a bubbly vision   rofl

IMG_0101.JPGThis is just a test piece. This was using a much shallower lens which made us move to the taller lens. Also I get to test which areas I'm going to black out to get the desired effect. Should have it figured out for the weekend. Also noticed that the red is very transparent so I'm going to put a textured piece in front of the led lights to diffuse it better. BTW if anyone was thinking of thermal forming I found out after three attempts that 1/16" polycarbonate will not take shape like the same thickness in PETG. The PTEG plastic is made for forming. It picks up even the sanding marks on the buck. 300 degrees for around 5 min and it was very playable. I do recommend taking up forming small scale pieces that fit in an oven. It is a great hobby to try. Not too expensive and awesome for making dashboard pieces, tail lights etc. Black ABS plastic sheets are also perfect for forming.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone could explain to me how to post a video I'd be happy to post some of the process. I've had no success with posting a video on any forum

So the plastic is clear, thermal formed to your plug and then painted on the backside, is that correct? Can this material be glued or layered in any way?

My thought was you could make a separate plug/pattern for diffuser panels which could be attached inside the lens-even if it was a mechanical attachment. You might just be able to take the pattern off an existing light fixture like the flat panels used with flourescent lighting

Jeff that's exactly what I was going to do my friend. The process is as you described. I have very old replacement fluorescent lenses her at my shop. Much thicker and stronger than the crumbly stuff at Home Depot. I was even thinking of glueing it in first so that the lens is clear on the exterior and red on the textured lens. I'm also putting a pin stripe around the lens on the bezel so that once I black out the rest, the stripe is removed and red lens shows through lit up as well.

It's amazing how a rediculously amount of time goes into this stuff. You've got mucho ambition and patience Angelo, I love watching you think and then materialize those thoughts, your a man after my own heart. Kudos buddy!!!

It's amazing how a rediculously amount of time goes into this stuff. You've got mucho ambition and patience Angelo, I love watching you think and then materialize those thoughts, your a man after my own heart. Kudos buddy!!!
Thanks Ray. Same can be said for your build. I however have much help from people with various talents. My friend Marco, a mustang man himself, has become a huge factor on how many trick things I can bring to this build. His design skill I hugely respect and his ability to give time and effort to all of the pieces he can make for this car that I otherwise wouldn't have access too. Ideas that never come to light and as far as I'm concerned, an inferior build. The big name builders have the means to realize an idea and make the killer cars that they do. Even with all this help there is still only so far i can go on my budget. Bang for the buck has always been my thing though.

IMG_0145.PNGStill the test piece. Idea #1. Still have others to try out.

Still the test piece. Idea #1. Still have others to try out.
"Still the test piece." Is that why the lines look out of square with eachother?
Right. Good eye. Since these bucks are plotted on a computer and CNC cut Its the rudimentary tape job I did that put everything out of whack I'm trying to figure out where I want the black and red. Just broad strokes right now till Ive locked in on the final mock up. Since this post the look has changed again. I'm going with a tighter look. More 69 tail light appeal.  I will post that one only when it's painted correctly.

Hey man, how are those tail lights going I'm excited about what your doing back there and looking forward to some more pics of that. Keep up the good work.
Will send out a video of them working. Onto 7173mustangs on facebook s as never been able to plug one into 7173mustangs.com video via you tube as with Luxtang was successful at. for one. In a while.  :thankyouyellow: Thanks for you inquiry.  This thanks on a pole, not a pole dancer, just said thank you, so..In the meantime, have a drink on me. Though been outlawed since the 80's...at least I am not offering you those cannabis pills, eh?..LOL

Enjoy buddy. Would be cool if we could all get together sometime and have a shot or two. I say at the very least, Once this build is done in the next while we all get on Skype and help me celebrate with a toast. As for the tail lights Ray, I was supposed to have made a thermal forming box by now and got these things made up but I'm a couple of weeks from having the Cobra off my plate, final touches for spring, then I'm on it.

temporary image host

A bud I met back in college days, just before he fought in Vegas, the Mancini vs Du Ku Kim back autumn 82, since Ray Mancini put this out, his private stock.  Like to get a bottle for my collection.  He is just west of me over in Youngstown or abouts, West of the PA/OH border.  Got this off his line. Maybe get even an extra bottle, one for me to do the shots and one for the collectors shelf.
13221468_1033303286705360_835137351889016649_n.jpg

IMG_0158.JPG Update on the tail lights. Looks like we're going with a different approach to these tail lights. We decided instead of a one piece thermal form, we're  going to vacuum form just the lenses. The bezel will now be a poured epoxy solid piece. More substantial. This is the MDF buck and tray.

IMG_0161.JPGHere the two part liquid rubber is poured into the mould and left to cure over night.

This is going to be interesting.

Also re: the Mancini vs Du Ku Kim fight-this occurred at the height of my interest in boxing.  It was tragic and Boom Boom was never the same afterwards
I hear that buddy.

IMG_0167.JPGThe final  rubber mould after its separated from the buck. Now it gets cleaned up, waxed and we pour in the clear epoxy.

Back