Would you buy a 71-73 again?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly no , I dont think there is a market for them locally where I am , the parts are a nightmare to find and I find it slow and does not like the twisties very much . I get more joy from my 71 MGB GT. 
That's the fun of so many different types of cars. I love back roads in an Opel Manta A, not so much in a V8 Mustang (although my 08 GT is a whole lot better than my 73 was). 

On the other hand,  a Fairmont GT would might get my interest...

I bought my '72 convertible in 1977 and am still enjoying it.  I bought a '73 Mach 1 in 1983 that had been thrashed, "restored" it and drove it for a couple years.  I sold the '73 after I joined the USAF.  I would buy a '71 Boss or Mach 1 or a '72 Mach 1 as a stable mate for the convertible if I ran across the right one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. A few people have mentioned power or handling, not being quite to their liking. Well, I like the car, for what it is, and what it is not. I don't drive like I'm on a road course, and, at the legal speed limits, the car is completely acceptable. I am not emotionally or attentively involved, when driving a new car....they're nothing special and nobody cares. I used to drive a 1930 Model A Ford as my daily driver. It rode bouncy, no radio, no heat, no a/c, ancient steering, etc, but man, did I love to drive it. I might make minor upgrades or adjustments to my car, but it will never be like a new car, and if  you don't understand the feeling, the joy of owning and driving an old car, maybe you're in the wrong hobby. 

Oh yeah, there's this....

aa9cea5cbf5d677fa8cfd56bc0e47619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S., I just thought that meme was funny, as an engine builder, I build Chevys, as well as Fords, MoPars, Pontiacs, AMCs, etc. I like lots of cars along with Mustangs but I couldn't resist taking the opportunity to post that meme for the Bowtie guys.

Spike, I completely agree with you. The new cars are beautiful, they're fast, mostly reliable and get me to my destination and back home again without any major problems. But if I'm looking for emotions when driving, I'm looking for them in the wrong place.

When I'm on the road in a classic car, it's always the driving that takes center stage. Maybe my back hurts when I arrive at my destination, maybe I have a hard time getting out of the car, but I still feel joy when I'm on the road in a classic Mustang. I am not cut off from the outside world by insulation, a special chassis or thick upholstery but feel every pebble on the road and every little bump. Even the driving noises reach my ears unfiltered. It is driving with all senses.

To drive the Mustang over the back roads, it is important that the suspension and springs are well maintained and that the steering and brakes function without play. Then I prefer the classic Mustang to all new cars. I attribute a soul to my Mustang that the new cars undoubtedly lack.

To answer the in-depth question: yes I would buy a Mustang again and yes it would again be one from 1971 to 1973.

Frank

A reply from member Shaheenk located in South Africa brought up a very good point.  We are spoiled as owners of our cars here in America.  There are plently of sources for parts available to us, both commerical and private.  Never really thought about how others living in other countries manage to maintain and keep their cars running.  

I know that there are several members of this site who live in other countries, it would be very interesting to hear about their experiences in the collector hobby in their country, popular brands / models and how they obtain parts and service there.

Mac

My car has a sentimenal value to me , my grand father bought it for my dad before my Granddad passed away , The car stood for many years and got quite rotted out, it was my dream to build it for my dad . I did that , he drove the car , he was happy , that made me happy . 

When I mentioned parts ,  I mean in South Africa, to give you an idea my car was stripped by another person who was meant to build it , I got it back minus the follwoing 

1. Interior panels 

2. PropShaft 

3. Gearbox 

4. Torque convertor 

5. Brake linkages

6. Power brake booster and Master Cyl 

7. Front bumper (on a 73) 

8. Windscreen 

9. Wiring Harness (yes the complete harness) 

10. Fuel Cap 

11. Most Trim , around the windows , doors , door locks , bonnet hinges and radiator as well as bonnet catch 

I had to rebuild 

1. Engine 

2. Gearbox 

3. Interior 

4. Harness and electrics 

5. Brakes 

6. Suspension 

Ford does not list the bolt sizes and threads for most of their builds , so I was buying bolts and nuts (Imperial) in a country which is Metric with a hope they would fit , why because I got the car back in pieces. 

Its easy in the US , pop onto one of the US stores and purchase a bolt kit cool $60 , here is $60 + $60 shipping + $20 customs = $140 ....for bolts and nuts. Everything was expensive to say the least , I think I spent over $5k in shipping alone. 

And becuase of the above , if something goes tits up , which it usually does , I need to wait 3 weeks doing a job which should be a weekend thing. I never got the 73 bumper , so had to mod a 72 Chrome to fit. To buy a 73 bumper is easy , $150- $250 , shipping it to SA , $800. 

Do I love the car, no , do I like it for what it represents , yes. Would I do it again , doubt it unless I am stripping and putting it back  myself.

Shaheenk,

It was nice of you to rebuild your Dad's Mustang for him.  I'm sure that he was pleased with your efforts more than the actual rebuilding of car itself.

I was amazed that the person you had mentioned that was suppose to rebuild the car actually ended up stripping it instead.  Have you considered taking him to court?

In your search for parts and rebuilding info (i.e. correct fasteners), is there any Mustang clubs close by you?  Have you searched this web site for other members close to you?  Look up the MCA (Mustang Club of America) on the web.  They have listings of regional groups all over the world, maybe one close to you.  They also list national judges by year of certification with contact info.  Again another source of info to consider.

If you Dad has already driven the car, sounds like you are "almost there" and should be congradulated on your efforts!!

Mac

Shaheenk,

It was nice of you to rebuild your Dad's Mustang for him.  I'm sure that he was pleased with your efforts more than the actual rebuilding of car itself.

I was amazed that the person you had mentioned that was suppose to rebuild the car actually ended up stripping it instead.  Have you considered taking him to court?

In your search for parts and rebuilding info (i.e. correct fasteners), is there any Mustang clubs close by you?  Have you searched this web site for other members close to you?  Look up the MCA (Mustang Club of America) on the web.  They have listings of regional groups all over the world, maybe one close to you.  They also list national judges by year of certification with contact info.  Again another source of info to consider.

If you Dad has already driven the car, sounds like you are "almost there" and should be congradulated on your efforts!!

Mac
Hi Mac

The car is completed, this was my first "american" build , I am more setup for european and Japanese cars as we have alot more of them here. The market in SA is quite different to the US where people are willing to impart knowledge , this forum has been a great source of help for me, I only found it later in my build but the help was immense. 

The car was not built as a restoration so a number of items were changed , modded or even dropped off. The final bit of the puzzle was done yetserday when I finally got the brakes sorted out and now it does not flat spot the rears . There is still a rattle over bumps which sounds liek transmission or exhaust or rear suspension, I will need to check it when I have time . For now it starts and drives. 

The person who stripped the car owes me money , he is unemployed and i know I will never see anything from it . Life goes on and we learn lessosn.

Well, to be frank, I didn't really want a Mustang in the first place. I wanted a 68-69 LeMans convertible. As an effort to get my ex to at least tolerate my car addiction we went in search of a Mustang since she claimed to like them. FYI, previously I had a pro street 64 GTO that she HATED!!!! and honestly I got very tired of. If I hadn't followed the "trend" and cut it up I'd probably still have it.  After a bit of a search I found the 73 and started getting things straightened out and drivable.  Guess what... she didn't like the Mustang either. Over the years I've made the changes that transformed the car into what I wanted and like. Would I buy it again, most likely not, but at this point I love it and it's not going anywhere. It is my most comfortable pair of old shoes. When I go out for a ride, I'm in my happy place. The plans I have for continued upgrades I would plan on for whatever car I had. Besides I'm getting too old to plan and build another car... I've been with this one for 23 years now. 

Would I buy my current 1971 Mach 1, J Code, Ram Air, 429 SCJ, 4.11.1, again?

I bought it completely disassembled, just a mere shell, with a 1000 parts, including motor, tranny, driverline, stored in a container. The Mach 1 had been off the road since 1975. The original owner was killed. It took me a few years to rebuild everything and reassemble the car and then paint it. Slow process. I've restored numerous 71-72 Mach 1's (H, Q, R, M, J Codes) over the last 25 years, but this one was the biggest challenge. Buy it again? Yes, indeed. Wish it had AC. Florida heat cab be brutal.

Just wondering, how many current 71-73 owners would actually "rebuy" a 71-73 again if they had the chance to buy their car again. Myself I bought my car in the spring of '72 as a demo with 5,000 miles on it. The price was right ($2995) but I wasn't wild about the options. Would have preferred a 69 or 70 big block, 4-speed car, possibly Shelby if available. However history speaks for itself, I bought my car and still have it, but if money and circumstances (can you say wife) allow, I would love to add a '69 shelby to my garage. How about you?

Mac
I did I had a 73 Mach 1 in my early 20s and always wanted to replace that car. Life happened and it was never in the budget. Finally at 61 years old I was able to replace it. My first one was a Q code my replacement is an H code but I’m still happy there’s a 73 Mach 1 back in my life.

No, based on my age. I have had four other 67 to 73's, three converts and one 70 428SCJ Shelby. The current 73 lowpo 302 convert is in great shape with just enough projects to keep me busy. Happy.

I would not buy my car again... at least, not in the same manner I did when I first bought it. Sorry, but I think I'm only good for one "miracle resurrection from the dead," and that was it. Now, would I buy another '71-'73? Absolutely! I would just make sure to look for a [much] better car next time. In fact, if things ever align properly and I ever find myself having more garage space, I will have a convertible to go along with the Mach 1.

Last edited:
Yes, but I'd seek out an "as rust free as possible" specimen. Mine wasn't that bad, but I'd really have to be smitten to do the same repairs again.

A nice Grande' is on my list, just for nostalgia sake as a 73 was my first car.

I bought mine in 1985 a few weeks before graduating from HS. It wasn't my favorite model of Mustang, but it was near the top of the list, it was available, and it was about all I could afford ($900). I took out a loan for a portion if it haha! I have a lot of great memories and experiences that I couldn't trade for the unknown, so I have to say that I would certainly do it again. If I could guarantee just as good of experiences and memories, I'd tell my young self to save a little more and buy the best optioned 70 or 71 that I could find.

Just prior to going to college (a few years later) I had a chance to by a 70 Mach 1 that was an original 428CJ Drag Pack car....the 428 had a custom con-rod ventilation port that wasn't original The engine was present, but trashed. The car was running a very nice M code set up for AHRA stock class racing. It was 100% complete and rust free....low miles....I think he was 2nd owner.... and my buddy wanted $5400. I didn't have any money at all....in fact, I had sold off most everything of value to pay off the cc debt I had run up buying car parts to soup up my 72. That's one I wished I could have bought.

I'm sure we all have similar stories. Would love to hear (read) them.

I'd have no problem buying another one. Our models have a lot going for them. We got improved style of power steering and improved steering geometry over the 70 and earlier models. And we got more room under the hood for bigger motors and wider transmission tunnels which give a little more room for transmission swaps.

And it does seem like a higher percentage of the 71-73 cars came with power brakes, disc brakes, and power steering. Obviously not all of them. My parts car was a 72 fastback with a 351C and somehow 4 wheel drums. But as a general rule, it seems like when you pop the hood on a 71-73, it will have more options than an earlier one. Seems like more often than not, when you see under the hood on a 60s model, it wont have power steering or power brakes.

Back