Would you pay over $100K for a restoration?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Q said it right. he has built a memory with his family that will last long after he is gone. The money isn't the point in his case. Most of us to go but someone elses dream wouldn't consider $100k but many of us probably end up thru our labors of love with $40k or more and yet we know they wouldn't bring that from someone not attached to them. These are dreams to most of us, not a balance sheet. We are doing what we couldn't or didn't before. or recapturing what we did but had to part with. I would think few of us here relate to our cars as just transportation. They are our dreams
Very Nicely said :cool:

Here's the way it is with our cars RIGHT NOW could change down the road..when it comes to restoration on these cars once your past the 30-40k mark it's a losing situation...You won't see your money back..So investment wise (buying right now today) forget it..I'm taking top notch restored cars..

Much better cars to put your money into out there..My 71 SS/RS Camaro has appreciated an enormous amount in the 3 years I've had it..My Mustang not even half as much
The problem there is the 70/71 Camaros are all over the board when selling. I see it every year at the rod runs. One year the are mid to upper 30's next year same quality car is high teens to mid 20's. This seems to go on from year to year. one of these years gonna buy on a down year ans sell on a high year. Not knocking the Camaro, this was pointed out to me by my camaro buddies and we watch now year to year just for fun.
T..I disagree there are tons of Camaros BUT you gotta buy the right one & of course Buy it right...Mine is a true SS/RS pretty rare..Most are are SS or RS but not both..Which you could get back then..As an licensed appraiser for many years I've always used a few sources to Value a car ..Also the real way to look at it is if a car was totaled what would the insurance pay me.. Granted with collector car insurance you can put any value on it..But using the standard for say a 2012 car the way it's done is using NADA & RED BOOK you add the values then divide by 2..Thats how insurance companys determine value for a pay out.. I also use this http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/ Just add to other 2 then divide by 3 ..Gives you a good feel for what the value is

Very Nicely said :cool:

Here's the way it is with our cars RIGHT NOW could change down the road..when it comes to restoration on these cars once your past the 30-40k mark it's a losing situation...You won't see your money back..So investment wise (buying right now today) forget it..I'm taking top notch restored cars..

Much better cars to put your money into out there..My 71 SS/RS Camaro has appreciated an enormous amount in the 3 years I've had it..My Mustang not even half as much
The problem there is the 70/71 Camaros are all over the board when selling. I see it every year at the rod runs. One year the are mid to upper 30's next year same quality car is high teens to mid 20's. This seems to go on from year to year. one of these years gonna buy on a down year ans sell on a high year. Not knocking the Camaro, this was pointed out to me by my camaro buddies and we watch now year to year just for fun.
T..I disagree there are tons of Camaros BUT you gotta buy the right one & of course Buy it right...Mine is a true SS/RS pretty rare..Most are are SS or RS but not both..Which you could get back then..As an licensed appraiser for many years I've always used a few sources to Value a car ..Also the real way to look at it is if a car was totaled what would the insurance pay me.. Granted with collector car insurance you can put any value on it..But using the standard for say a 2012 car the way it's done is using NADA & RED BOOK you add the values then divide by 2..Thats how insurance companys determine value for a pay out.. I also use this http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/ Just add to other 2 then divide by 3 ..Gives you a good feel for what the value is
Thats fine, just real world reality on my end no matter what a book says. Its only worth what someone will pay.

Thats fine, just real world reality on my end no matter what a book says. Its only worth what someone will pay.
That I can't disagree with Doesn't matter what the book says..when it comes to private parties...But ya need a Idea of where to start..I was just pointing out how insurance company's put a value on a car

In my shop I gave a lifetime warranty on my craftsmanship for as long as you owned the car
But, what if I outlive you?

Snakeskin seat covers...
Wow...never thought of that. Where do I get a set, and how much do they cost?
Ha,Ha, i don't know where you would get them, but If someone gave me $100,000 and said it had to go into my Mach 1, I would have to find stuff like that to spend the money on !!!:D:p

. But for the life of me, I don't see how it would ever cost that much, even buying new everything !!!!:dodgy: It would have to be a restomod
Easy..depends what you start with..More than half can be labor..$50.00 an hour is cheap in todays restoration shop market..Most are at $75.00

I mean just in fitting gaping the sheet metal on my car 2 guys 3 days Thats not final finished just close..30 hours into smoothing out body work on my trunk floor..$7000.00 just in suspension..brakes..tire..rims.. Should I keep going ?

It adds up real quick:mad: But yes mine is going restomod :p
Still not buying it.:dodgy: $100K is a whole lot of money to eat up. I'm not doubting you can spend a good amount of money doing it, but $100K ?? :-/ I hope you really don't get close to that number with yours. good luck and when your done I would love to see some pics !:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not buying it.:dodgy: $100K is a whole lot of money to eat up. I'm not doubting you can spend a good amount of money doing it, but $100K ?? :-/ I hope you really don't get close to that number with yours. good luck and when your done I would love to see some pics !:)
Ok...Your entitled to your opinion & I respect that..BUT as a pro who was in the biz owned a few shops..for over 25 years I talk from real life real world experience..I think I'm pretty qualified as to what it takes to build a top notch ride & the expense to do it right..The car I'm building isn't my first rodeo...As I said That would include paying myself for my labor.. If I take that out of the equation I hope to stay under 60K ..But a big mistake people make is not factoring their labor..overhead (cost money to keep the lights on & run equipment)....If you can't do it yourself than of course you have to pay someone..You can see my in process pics here..http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FUZZENUT/MUSTANG-%20BACK%20FROM%20THE%20GRAVE/?albumview=slideshow As I stated before about some of my expenses... Here's some more This build has almost all o.e.m sheetmetal..How much do think 2 otrs 2 fenders a hood ..radiator support..rear body panel..frt aprons..lower rear valance would cost you to buy IF you could even find those parts..Your looking about 7k just in those o.e.m. parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Much like some of the other comments thus far that if the car has value to the owner and they have the money to spend they should spend what they feel like spending. Much like Q my 72 Mach was my first car, my wife and I started dateing in it in high school and it will get passed down to my son after I am gone. I am spending what I can afford in my restoration. Mind you it will be no where near $100K. It will be well more than what it is worth on the open market, but it will never be sold. This is an investment that does not have a balance sheet other than in my sentimental value and joy of working on it with my son. I farm out the things I cannot do and complete the things I can. In the end I plan to have the car that my dreams were made of and that I have lived most of my life with. It is part of my family forever.

Ok...Your entitled to your opinion & I respect that..BUT as a pro who was in the biz owned a few shops..for over 25 years I talk from real life real world experience..I think I'm pretty qualified as to what it takes to build a top notch ride & the expense to do it right..The car I'm building isn't my first rodeo...As I said That would include paying myself for my labor.. If I take that out of the equation I hope to stay under 60K ..But a big mistake people make is not factoring their labor..overhead (cost money to keep the lights on & run equipment)....If you can't do it yourself than of course you have to pay someone..You can see my in process pics here..http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FUZZENUT/MUSTANG-%20BACK%20FROM%20THE%20GRAVE/?albumview=slideshow As I stated before about some of my expenses... Here's some more This build has almost all o.e.m sheetmetal..How much do think 2 otrs 2 fenders a hood ..radiator support..rear body panel..frt aprons..lower rear valance would cost you to buy IF you could even find those parts..Your looking about 7k just in those o.e.m. parts
Right on, I hear ya. I looked at your pics, and you took on one hell of a project. I don't think I would have started with some thing in that kind of shape. I am in no way questioning your qualifications. I am not, nor have ever been in the restoration field. I am responding using my own thinking, that spending $100K on a 71-73 restoration, not only makes no sense to me, but sounds very difficult to do. :rolleyes: I am not saying you couldn't do it, feel free to spend your money as you like. :cool:

I know a family that spent $54k on a 69 Fastback for sentimental reasons now they are seeling it for $20k. I saw a Bronco here at a show that was absolutely perfect and beautiful guy wanted $26k what he had in parts he did the resto by himself for a hobby so no labor included in that price. If I had the means I would gladly send Dad's first Boss 351 to Q and spend whatever it took to get it back to original.

I have two kids to put through college so the ONLY way I'd even think about spending $100K on any car was that I was 99% sure I could sell it for what I paid five years later to pay the kiddies tuition. I kinda wish I did that ( well maybe $60K and enjoyed a car instead of watching their college savings earn squat :(

I wonder if they both get scholarships I can use the money to get that Pantera. :rolleyes:

Right on, I hear ya. I looked at your pics, and you took on one hell of a project. I don't think I would have started with some thing in that kind of shape. I am in no way questioning your qualifications. I am not, nor have ever been in the restoration field. I am responding using my own thinking, that spending $100K on a 71-73 restoration, not only makes no sense to me, but sounds very difficult to do. :rolleyes: I am not saying you couldn't do it, feel free to spend your money as you like. :cool:
Your Right I'm out of my mind to have started with what I did.. & It doesn't make sense from a balance sheet investment stand point..But sentimental value got the better of me plus & I have the skill & knowledge to do the entire job start to finish with out having to sub anything out..The one saving grace was I had the foresight to have bought all those parts when you could get them from ford for a reasonable price..But I'm past the point of no return & at least I've turned the corner the real hard part is done..Hope to have it ready for paint by the spring..

If anyone out there actually has $100k to spend on any car you may drive occasionally.. PM me, I could be your next charity case!!
I think that happens more (driven once a month) with newer cars like Ferraris which of course go for more bucks than $100K. I doubt people that pay $100-$200K for a Boss or Shelby actually drive them anywhere regularly. I do cars people bought 25 years ago give or take and they do not have an arm and leg invested and they take them out once in a while since they are not in perfect condition. My ideal car to buy would be an older semi-restored car. It would have some mileage on it an have been repainted once and not have a bunch of rust cut out and panels replaced. I could enjoy driving the car which I would hope would be mechanically tested and I would not freak out over getting rock chips.

Kaase custom built 460 stroker with Boss heads- $20,000

Tremec T-56 Magnum- $3500

9 in rear with forged 31 spline axles and Detroit Trutrac- $3,000

Suspension (total control)- $3,000

Sparco seats- $1,500

That's a heck of a paint job and stereo system.

I can't do it.

I couldn't do it. There's something about paying more for a car than I did for my house* that just seems a little misguided to me.

* BTW - We bought before housing took off, and the housing market in San Angelo is really cheap. Original purchase was $86.5K - appraised value is better than twice that now.

if you want something bad enough you pay what you think its worth to get it. :D

True, but you can build it for much less than that.

Clearly there is an emotional connection to this particular car. As you stated, it is not a particularly rare version of a mach 1. And it is sporting incorrect wheels and aircleaner, probably much more upon closer examination.

Emotional money will never be repaid upon resale.

One would be much better off buying one of my die cuts of the 71-73 awesome car and getting it made out of your favorite aliminum can beverage for $3.75 right now the green AMP energy can is by far the most popular.. what is your fav bev?

71-074.jpg

Back