• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Power Steering Gear Box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Cleveland

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 FastBack

Anyone have a power steering gear box for sale ?? I'm not looking for one that needs rebuilding. If not some leads on were I can buy one.

THANKS

Call this guy http://www.powersteering.com/ he can not only rebuild them, but he also will do a quick ratio conversion. Our Steering boxes are made by Saginaw and share most of the guts with corvette units. He also had the parts to convert manual to power when I spoke with him. Nice guy and well respected

Call this guy http://www.powersteering.com/ he can not only rebuild them, but he also will do a quick ratio conversion. Our Steering boxes are made by Saginaw and share most of the guts with corvette units. He also had the parts to convert manual to power when I spoke with him. Nice guy and well respected
Just spoke to chip from the site you gave. Almost a month wait time for re building a power steering gearbox at a cost of $ 249.00.

The older I get, the more patient I become. I just waited a week and a half for a clutch cable for my Harley and paid 60 bucks for that. You can find it cheap, you can find it fast and you can find it top quality, but you only get to pick two of the three options.

The older I get, the more patient I become. I just waited a week and a half for a clutch cable for my Harley and paid 60 bucks for that. You can find it cheap, you can find it fast and you can find it top quality, but you only get to pick two of the three options.
You are right i agree with you. When i finally think i will be able to enjoy this car its something else. From RPM issues now fixed to now being confronted by power steering dripping all over my driveway. Patients are tested when repairs are costly and one is no mechanic.

I've got a blown engine, just finally got my Harley's blown clutch fixed, and still have to go through my Buell cause it is making a noise I fear is a sign of the coming of the Apocolypse.

I've let others wrench on my Mustang in the past, and I've done a lot myself. I find my work to be slower but more meticulous. I rarely redo my own work. I'm a freakin' attorney, so if I can do it, anyone can learn. (I might have been doing this on and off for the last 30+ years as a hobby, but it was a lot of off and a lot of "How can I do this for very little money?"

We each have talents, though some folks are very well hidden ;)

Talk to the rebuilder about any suspension mods you have made and the tire size you are running. I'll bet he has some suggestions to let it all work together better.

I've got a blown engine, just finally got my Harley's blown clutch fixed, and still have to go through my Buell cause it is making a noise
WOW Jeff you're hard on parts! :D

Mr C. we all learned how to do stuff a little at a time gaining skill and knowledge as we went. Invest in a good General shop manual (Motor or Chilton, see below, not the little skinny things from the parts store) that covers your Mustang and read it thoroughly before starting a project and have at it. Please remember we are all here to lend support to get you through most projects.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120891043701?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

$(KGrHqN,!jkE9WFzI)v3BPfYn()!3g~~60_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ROCKAUTO.COM has fair priced steering gear boxes.

I was told about this website and honestly i was surprised

with the amount of 71-73 mustang parts that are available on this site.[/font]

Rock auto is not bad, I have used them for various things over the last 3-4 years. shipping makes reurns of cores etc more complicated than local, but their prices aren't bad-you do need to be very sure of what parts you need and that the listed part is a proper match with some applications.

I've got a blown engine, just finally got my Harley's blown clutch fixed, and still have to go through my Buell cause it is making a noise
WOW Jeff you're hard on parts! :D

Mr C. we all learned how to do stuff a little at a time gaining skill and knowledge as we went. Invest in a good General shop manual (Motor or Chilton, see below, not the little skinny things from the parts store) that covers your Mustang and read it thoroughly before starting a project and have at it. Please remember we are all here to lend support to get you through most projects.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120891043701?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
DROPTOP73 .Thank you for the words. As you have helped and seen what my ride was and is since you and other members started helping me with wheels/tires/rpm issue's and now power steering. I thank all the members that give a opinion. Like I mentioned in many ads before am new to this type of car. That's why at times you will see a weird post by me asking the oddest questions is wanting to gain some understanding for when the car goes in for repair i have some type of conversation or the part that needs replacing. A couple months ago I suffered a injury that doesn't allow me to move and bend freely like others. So am left with asking you s guys questions for leads or parts because most people don't have a clue about our cars let alone a part. I find it funny when you talking to a cashier that's hell of a lot younger then our mustangs and doesn't know a thing plus there computer data has zero results found..

Rock auto is not bad, I have used them for various things over the last 3-4 years. shipping makes reurns of cores etc more complicated than local, but their prices aren't bad-you do need to be very sure of what parts you need and that the listed part is a proper match with some applications.
So true Jeff. This site was fairly easy to navigate threw with additional windows opening after each selected option making sure one obtains the correct part for desired application.

Yes i do but i ended up ordering from rockauto.com For our year cars there is a Large selection of mustang parts at this site. Fairly priced. core charge of 30 bucks on gear box.

So true Jeff. This site was fairly easy to navigate threw with additional windows opening after each selected option making sure one obtains the correct part for desired application.

Yes i do but i ended up ordering from rockauto.com For our year cars there is a Large selection of mustang parts at this site. Fairly priced. core charge of 30 bucks on gear box.
I got mine from Rock Auto. Went in and is working fine so far. Bought the Cardone unit. Removed the black paint covering the aluminum portion and painted the rest with Cast Blast to make it look more original.

DSC_0167.JPG

Are you sure its the box leaking and not a hose? Hoses leak. Hoses are cheaper and easier to replace than the box. If the steering isnt as tight as you think it should be you might inspect the rag joint. And sometimes you can tighten them up a bit, but if you over tighten it will lead to failure. But if you are really going to swap it out you might consider the tighter ratio box.

When you get the box in please post a photo of the side that mounts to the frame. I'm concerned about the mounting bolt pattern on the box I bought. Thanks in advance!
No problem the part should be here some time tomorrow. As soon as I receive the steering gear i will upload a couple photo's

Are you sure its the box leaking and not a hose? Hoses leak. Hoses are cheaper and easier to replace than the box. If the steering isnt as tight as you think it should be you might inspect the rag joint. And sometimes you can tighten them up a bit, but if you over tighten it will lead to failure. But if you are really going to swap it out you might consider the tighter ratio box.
Yes its getting switched out. The unit looks to be the original thats why i am replacing all the hoses and what not. My opinion it needs rebuilding cause to much power steering fluide is leaking. The lines seem fine but not to keep on with the back and forth i just ordered everything hoses, clamps, gear box, . it makes me feel better knowing whats getting done instead of not knowing why i keep being confronted with issues. Me LOVING this car is why i keep spending to get it right. Mind you this is the only car in my garage that i have spent what i did in this little time. Just trying to keep our mustangs alive ...

When you get the box in please post a photo of the side that mounts to the frame. I'm concerned about the mounting bolt pattern on the box I bought. Thanks in advance!
A-1 CARDONE Part # 276539 .. As soon as the gear box arrives. I will be able to send you much closer/better images.

I got mine from Rock Auto. Went in and is working fine so far. Bought the Cardone unit. Removed the black paint covering the aluminum portion and painted the rest with Cast Blast to make it look more original.
f117rt... Thanks for the photo. It gave me a good feeling knowing that your gear box fit and worked fine. Being that I myself just ordered one from the same location.

power.jpg

Latest posts

Back