You know I like Mach 1s but...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
But wow! I'm really diggin' this wagon on eBay. Just add some wheels.

:cool:

3.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-Country-Squire-Wagon-1978-Ford-LTD-Country-Squire-Wagon-All-Original-Survivor-with-62k-/291104828829?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43c7332d9d&item=291104828829&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

4.jpg

7.jpg

It looks great - stylistically - BUT:

That's a repainted car that is only slightly better than driver-quality, and not particularly valuable no matter how you slice it. You're paying $12,500 for a good prep job and lighting.

The seller has also failed to indicate that the piece of iron under the hood is the tall-deck 351M, complete with the funky dished pistons that are only marginally better than the 400 for pinging problems (lousy combustion chamber shape), and that is only if you keep the EGR functional. What's more, the 1978 351M has the lowest compression ratio of all years - 7.74:1.

1978 351M horsepower: 152 @ 3400 / 156 @ 4000

1978 351M torque: 262 @ 2000

So much for towing anything - it can hardly pull itself.

I wouldn't waste a nickle on this thing without figuring on pulling that 351M, swapping the crankshaft with that of a 400, and putting in aftermarket flat-top pistons. Tons of cash right there, much less in the car.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not buying it but would love to own a classic wagon but the wife hates them all. So all I can do is look, show her the cool pics and watch her eyes roll.

classic wagons...My dad had the same ford wagon..His had the fold down back seat that faces backwords ...That was a odd ride back there starring at all the cars driving up on you...lol...I do remember the door latch failed and he jumped out tring to slam it shut...The window broke and landed all over me...He goes sh#t!! Sit there mike dont move..i dont want you cutt up, He had to clean the glass off me and he ended up having to use a bungie cord to keep his door shut..lol

You might want to look at a few years older, when you could get a 2-door Ranch Wagon.

1961 (this one has a 312 "Y" block , but they could also have as big as a 390 FE):

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/0911sr_1961_ford_ranch_wagon/photo_01.html

1960 (I believe that a 352 FE was the biggest engine in these):

http://www.cars-on-line.com/64757.html
The 71-73'ish town squire you could get a 365hp 429...In 74 they dumped the 429 for a low hp 460 , biggest engine for a ford wagon i think...But that engine was all tq hardly much hp i think.

Back in the day i drove a 1975 C**** Impala Wagon , that car was huge !!!

I bought it from a funeral home in the Netherlands , with funeral flags on the front fenders , roller bearing coffin floor , etc, etc.

I got rid of all the funeral stuf and placed a back seat in the car.

Once whe drove to the airport with all our bagage to go on a holliday to relatives in Canada , on the departure parking place 7 people came out of that wagon with 7 suitcases and hand Luggage...

JB

chevy's4.jpg

chevy's1.jpg

chevy's2.jpg

102-0244_IMG.JPG

It looks great - stylistically - BUT:

That's a repainted car that is only slightly better than driver-quality, and not particularly valuable no matter how you slice it. You're paying $12,500 for a good prep job and lighting.

The seller has also failed to indicate that the piece of iron under the hood is the tall-deck 351M, complete with the funky dished pistons that are only marginally better than the 400 for pinging problems (lousy combustion chamber shape), and that is only if you keep the EGR functional. What's more, the 1978 351M has the lowest compression ratio of all years - 7.74:1.

1978 351M horsepower: 152 @ 3400 / 156 @ 4000

1978 351M torque: 262 @ 2000

So much for towing anything - it can hardly pull itself.

I wouldn't waste a nickle on this thing without figuring on pulling that 351M, swapping the crankshaft with that of a 400, and putting in aftermarket flat-top pistons. Tons of cash right there, much less in the car.

-Kurt
Oh damn! I've just lost my woody!

Back