1973 Dash Pad

I just picked up a 73 Original Ford tooling dash pad from CJ Pony and not sure if it's correct.

As you can see in pic 1 and 3 there are metal clips attached to the pad with holes in them.

In pic #4 there is a cut out with NO metal clip in it (Should there be a metal clip attached?)

In pic #2 it looks as if it was started to be cut out but not complete (is this ok or should this have been cut out with a metal clip?)

In pic # 5 (which is he opposite side of pic #1) there is no cut out with metal clip (should there be?)

Is this correct?

1.thumb.jpg.48b0e41e4d4245bfed3ef92505a711fa.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.d895422c77bb17e1f289de3e4c46112c.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.84d69d36fa5e230e10e4ac91606007de.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.6495a39754dcffc9231951b99b2b17db.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.e42671f85b201f6c07e566a7ab06ef30.jpg

Hmmm, I just looked at mine and the silver strip goes across the width of the pad on both sides. The black foam material doesn't cover mine like yours. The red marked area is silver metal with no covering on mine. Hope this makes sense.

-jbojo

1.thumb.jpg.d906c44657ad3feb51b8fe3c0432577a.jpg

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Hmmm, I just looked at mine and the silver strip goes across the width of the pad on both sides. The black foam material doesn't cover mine like yours. The red marked area is silver metal with no covering on mine. Hope this makes sense.

-jbojo

It does makes sense. If you look at my pic #4 there's a cut out but no clip.

I think they forgot to install it.

Do you have 3 clips on yours? (Pretty much the 3 metal cut outs with holes)?

I did speak with someone at CJ Pony and sent them the pics. Lets see what they say.

Thanks

-jbojo

I did speak with someone at CJ Pony and sent them the pics. Lets see what they say.

Thanks

Both sides are identical on mine. Looks like the didn't mold the strip in your other side? Here is a pic of one side, your pic 1 & 3.

-jbojo

697202399_IMG_26151.thumb.JPG.75723c2fd1fb898114e929dc6e15c801.JPG

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

-jbojo

Thanks

Both sides are identical on mine. Looks like the didn't mold the strip in your other side? Here is a pic of one side, your pic 1 & 3.

-jbojo

Ok, you have the cut out like one of mine with no clip, plus another hole in the corner (I think it's normal to need to drill out for a clip).

I believe that I still have the original one. I'll see if I can find it and do a comparison.

-jbojo

-john

(jbojo)

I believe that I still have the original one. I'll see if I can find it and do a comparison.

-jbojo

Thanks. I'm also hoping that CJ Pony gets back to me tomorrow with the answers.

CJ Pony got back to me and said that the dash pad is correct, but did make the offer of allowing me to return it.

Hope to get it installed within 2 weeks.

Let see how it goes.

CJ Pony got back to me and said that the dash pad is correct, but did make the offer of allowing me to return it.

Hope to get it installed within 2 weeks.

Let see how it goes.

Cool, let me know how the installation goes.

-jbojo

-john

(jbojo)

The same issue on mine - it is a original tooling pad in ginger, same as yours. I was wondering about too...

I will install it the next days after repainting my metal dash board so I will give you an update!

Tim

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

I installed a new 'original tool pad' about 2 months ago. My original original pad had material across the metal strip with a few openings where the clip goes. The new pad also did but a couple of the openings were covered, I just cut out the material and there was a hole there. I did not have to drill any holes. When I was done the two looked almost identicle except for the age. And the new one looks awesome installed.

I also repainted the crown and used new crown clips since mine were all broken.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

I had to drill a couple holes when I installed my original tooling dash pad. It wasn't that big of a deal really, plus the new one looks way better than the old cracked up one.

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

I had an order in with CJ Pony for 2 months before I finally cancelled the order and Don (OMS) hooked me up with a reproduction version that he said would fit better. He was spot on...it went right in. CJ was very unhelpful throughout the process even though I had spent a fortune there. I usually don't like knock our suppliers but on this one they really deserve it... Here's a pic of the final installation. Not the best pic but all I have right now.

1413724681_steeringwheel.thumb.jpg.9be509ded7f486909f2ae13a584bfc8a.jpg

John

JHawk

J-Hawk-1-1.jpg

JHawk's Garage

I had to drill a couple holes when I installed my original tooling dash pad. It wasn't that big of a deal really, plus the new one looks way better than the old cracked up one.

Where did you drill the holes?

I was going to start to replace my dash pad this weekend, but it's raining and really would prefer to do it outside than in the garage.

Will e

Who did you buy your pad from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mom gave it to me for Christmas. (yeah, I am almost a half centry old but mom is cool). I believe she picked it up at CJ's.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

A couple of pics:

P1020120_zps31f5220f.jpg

P1020117_zpsce668d07.jpg

'Mike'