FMX TRANS, GONE BAAD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

Im so pissed, becaus the fmx trans, on my 72 mustang is gon, and my mecanic said that its better to change for a C4 trans, what do you think?
Which motor?
Roy My FMX is questionable also ..and I run a 351C 4V. Better to go C4 ..or bump to C6 and what mod's requirred?

Alan L

I am not an automatic transmission expert and therefore am willing to learn but this is what I have gleaned. I ran an FMX in the 80's in my 70 GT Torino with a very potent 351 C (one that could pull the front tires) and never had problems. What I hear is that an FMX is on par with a C6 only heavier due to its cast iorn housing, which is the main reason to run a C4 or a C6. Nowadays I am sure parts availability is also a big issue as most high horsepower applications use either the lesser weight of the C4 or the strength of the larger C6. I run an FMX now with a 351 C 2V but hope to change over to a 5 speed for the sheer fun of driving one.

Me i like the FMX,they can handle up to 500HP and they eat the least amount of HP doing it. Had FMX in my 72 it started slipping i pulled it out rebuilt never had any problems with it,until i busted the case on it

The preferred automatic for NHRA stock eliminator Fords is the C4. It is lighter and has less rotating mass.

I'm planning on running an AOD in my Convertible.

By the way, reducing driveline rotating mass is the most effective way to gain performance.

The preferred automatic for NHRA stock eliminator Fords is the C4. It is lighter and has less rotating mass.

I'm planning on running an AOD in my Convertible.

By the way, reducing driveline rotating mass is the most effective way to gain performance.
You are right, If I remember right I'm not 100% sure i could be wrong on these figures FMX = 24 HP,C4 = 27 HP, and C 6 = 40+ HP used or Lost.Been awhile since i have read up on it.But to be honest the last C4 tranny i had ruined me on them.

I personally LOVE my FMX in my '71 Mach. With a shift kit, it shifts exactly as I like it to and does everything I want it to. I had mine professionally rebuilt for less than $1k, and I'm sticking with it because it's the original tranny in a numbers-matching car. But even without that, I would still go with the FMX. Yeah, it's not as ubiquitous as the C4, but it's still a great tranny.

people even with 460's run 1000 capabile horsepower c4's. however, if i'm not wrong, i believe the FMX and the C4 uses the same slip yoke and cross member. best bet is to just switch to a c4 because you have all of the part already. switch to a c6 and you'll need to change the cross member, slipyoke and etc.

take that into account! if your willing change everything out anyways, they have entire AOD kits out there. i was almost going to do a 460 AOD kit if i didn't find a clutch pedal assy. i forgot the company but its in mustang unlimited's catelog and..........its also listed www.summitracing.com as a entire kit. if i remember, i was like 3100 for a BBF kit that is a custom build because the cut off the bellhousing and bolts on a 385 series bellhousing and has a custom converter.

Hello

Im so pissed, becaus the fmx trans, on my 72 mustang is gon, and my mecanic said that its better to change for a C4 trans, what do you think?
I would recomend rebuilding the FMX, the C4 uses a different yoke and a different crossmember. the FMX is a very durable tranny and there are plenty of rebuild kits and street strip style parts and converters for it, just check the internet or ebay. If you are going to an all out race set up then go with the C4 for all the aftermarket stuff. If your are staying below 500 hp you cant go wrong with the FMX.

Describe what happened to yours maybe it not shot, but someting else

Thanks Guys. I've been out of HP cars for too long. 40 yrs ago I built BIG BLOCK Chevy's because thats what the rich kids drove because they blow up small blocks. They called FORDS too costly because nothing was interchangable like chevy's engine parts, so they could swap pieces when they blow them up street racing.

it really depends what your going for aod is nice but can be diabled but simply overtightning the tras filter durring service fmx is not a bad trans and is direct replacement (recomended) / c4 small light tough as nails great trans may require drive shaft modification/ c6 overkill big heavy drive shaft modification/ I would rebuilt and beef up the one you got take it to a good trans shop have them up grade it and get a good converter you won't be disapointed. If you have some tech nical knowledge and lots of tools you could get a good manual from b&m and build it to there specs normaly you can fit one extra clutch and steal in the clutch pacs and still stay in specs for free play. this is a good idea. but warping a steal to take up the slack is a bad idea.

just my 2 cents

Nick Steger

it really depends what your going for aod is nice but can be diabled but simply overtightning the tras filter durring service fmx is not a bad trans and is direct replacement (recomended) / c4 small light tough as nails great trans may require drive shaft modification/ c6 overkill big heavy drive shaft modification/ I would rebuilt and beef up the one you got take it to a good trans shop have them up grade it and get a good converter you won't be disapointed. If you have some tech nical knowledge and lots of tools you could get a good manual from b&m and build it to there specs normaly you can fit one extra clutch and steal in the clutch pacs and still stay in specs for free play. this is a good idea. but warping a steal to take up the slack is a bad idea.

just my 2 cents

Nick Steger
Good advice, Nick. Hey, let us give you a proper welcome by posting a brief intro in the Introductions section. Glad you found us.

Doc

just my 2 cents

Nick Steger
Good advice, Nick. Hey, let us give you a proper welcome by posting a brief intro in the Introductions section. Glad you found us.

Doc
thanks sorry about the small highjack of the thread

Back