bellhousing help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fonzogt25

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 w/ 1971 351c
so i have a 71 351 cleveland and i have a 1985 T5 from a mustang. (im pretty sure its 85, ill find out later and if it isnt, i will inform you guys). anyway, i need a bellhousing that will fit between the two. does anyone know what bellhousing will work with both?

ok, than i need a lot more help than i initially thought lol. the engine is going to be bone stock. so i dont need anything fancy. which clutch and all that stuff do i need? what year/engine fox body bellhousing do i need than?

If you use the modern driveline cable setup, you can basically use all 5.0 stuff except for the flywheel (due to the imbalance difference between early and late SBF's).

I think there's a Ford Racing flywheel at the early imbalance that lets you use a later 5.0 10.5" clutch (cheap!). I would check with Summit on the early imbalance, Diaphragm-style

Clutch flywheel then the rest is easy.

So:

85-93 5.0L T5 bell housing, block plate, clutch fork and starter (no 94-95 as the input length is longer)

5.0 clutch kit of your choice

Early imbalance flywheel for Diaphragm clutch

Cable linkage conversion

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome! i will check summit with this info and see what i can get! thanks so much!

ok guys, so i called summit and the guy on the tech line told me i want this flywheel:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-463200

my brother found this flywheel, its a ford one and not a mcleod:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6375-a302b

which one is the one i need? i know mjlan said to get the early ford imbalance one but i dont know if this is the early imbalance one.

also, if i use that ford flywheel, it says to use a ford clutch kit, i found a 1990 mustang clutch kit at autozone for 100 bucks (way cheaper than summit for those brands). can i use the autozone clutch with that flywheel or will it cause problems when im installing or when im driving?

I think that Ford flywheel will work, it seems to be for the early imbalance and has the diaphragm (late model) clutch bolt pattern.

Might be worth a double check with Ford racing.

The one summit recommended is wrong-it is for an internally AKA neutrally balanced engine. Ford didn't build internally balanced clevelands or windsors.

Unless you had the engine built in such a manner it is just wrong.

The ford one your brother found looks right. Without knowing much about the bellhousing you are using (I'm ignorant of the 5.0 parts-not your fault) I don't know if the 157 tooth flywheel is right. I suspect it is, but I wouldn't spend money on that opinion.

alright, thanks for the help so far guys! ill snag up that ford one. everything and everyone is saying that would be the one.

last question, does it have to be a ford racing clutch? or can i buy an autozone one and toss it on there? the flywheel says that it has to be a ford racing, but i thought that could just be them saying that to get more cash out of potential buyers

i checked the codes, we do have a WC t5. though it is a low end WC and the 351 could overpower it. but the engine is stock so the T5 should be able to handle it

Modern Drive Line sells a 157 tooth 28 oz flywheel. Also go for the 10.5 inch clutch from a 91 5.0 GT about $90 from Napa. Use the starter from whatever year the transmission is and the flex plate too.

I used an aftermarket steel scattershield as a bellhousing a few years ago.. I had multiple mounting holes and the bell area was larger than the stock cast aluminum version. Try a speed shop or online supplier..

It was a bit on the expensive side, but it fit..

Back