Jack stand

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
I've seen a few posts about jack stands, but most deal with working on the car at home. I do not have mine, nor am I worried about it being original. I want one that will be save and will do the job if I am stuck on the side of the road.

This came to me the other day as I also do not have a spare and I have started to venture out more with the car. I don't want to be stuck out somewhere.

Any suggestions on what and where?

On a side note... I think for my spare I'm going to do a simple steel wheel and full size black tire. Nothing special.

This has come to mind as well, for I'm not sure whether the rachet-type jackstands are considered superior to those with holes and pins - or whether it's the other way around.

-Kurt

I'm not sure if you're talking about a jack used to raise the car or a jack stand for supporting the car while it is being worked on. These are two different devices, a jack should never be used to support a car while any part of your body is under the car. The jacks that come with a car should only be used for changing tires, they should not be used to even support a car while jack stands are being placed under the car.

Most jack stands are designed for use on a hard flat surface. A disabled car may have to be pulled off the paved surface if the paved shoulder is not wide enough and may be on a slope. The legs on most jack stands will sink into a soft surface and are not designed to support a load on a slope or angle.

One of our cars with a flat tire leaves very little room to reach under the car and the original style jacks are designed for the low clearance and to fit into the jack points. However, they have very little lateral stability and should not be used on a sloped surface.

I'm not sure if you're talking about a jack used to raise the car or a jack stand for supporting the car while it is being worked on. These are two different devices, a jack should never be used to support a car while any part of your body is under the car. The jacks that come with a car should only be used for changing tires, they should not be used to even support a car while jack stands are being placed under the car.

Most jack stands are designed for use on a hard flat surface. A disabled car may have to be pulled off the paved surface if the paved shoulder is not wide enough and may be on a slope. The legs on most jack stands will sink into a soft surface and are not designed to support a load on a slope or angle.

One of our cars with a flat tire leaves very little room to reach under the car and the original style jacks are designed for the low clearance and to fit into the jack points. However, they have very little lateral stability and should not be used on a sloped surface.
Don

I'm specifically talking about a roadside jack. I have a floor Jack and Jack stands at home.

I'm need something to use for emergencies. I have AAA and Hegarty, but I don't want to be stuck out somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a used scissor jack and handle on eBay for $150, or just the jack from West Coast Classic Cougars for $100.

I'd also check with Don at OMS and Motorcity Mustang (site advertisers) to see what they have.

You can get after market scissor jacks for less than $50, but they aren't designed to fit into the jack point notches.

Back