• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Need help, looking for asap (rear sway bar hardware)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 (1973)-351Ci-4V
Hi,

In need of the fasteners(plates)what comes in the body/chassis for mounting the U-brackets (rear sway bar bushing kit).

I don't know the exact name for it...

I need them asap to Belgium, who can help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think something about in-welded nuts or Avdel blind rivets (think about the bushing/rivets for mounting the sport mirrors on the door), i don't know what is missing or how they call it by name.

There are holes in the frame rails but nothing for mounting the bolts(U-bracket)...

Eddyw. See his top picture. At the top end of the shock is a squared off U-bolt. Looks like a drawer handle. That goes in one hole and loops around and comes through the second hole. That leaves the two threaded ends sticking out, and the squared flat side in the frame rail. That's how the install starts. Two nuts go outside to retain the rubber retainer bracket. I've used a curved piece of wire to thread it through. String on the first leg helps also. Some times you can grab the string.

Eddy, Believe it or not those U brackets were bolted on with coarse, large, hex headed sheet metal screws. I know it sounds ridiculous but that is what I found on my 72 Mach 1 that had never had the rear sway bar removed. Chuck

Eddyw. See his top picture. At the top end of the shock is a squared off U-bolt. Looks like a drawer handle. That goes in one hole and loops around and comes through the second hole. That leaves the two threaded ends sticking out, and the squared flat side in the frame rail. That's how the install starts. Two nuts go outside to retain the rubber retainer bracket. I've used a curved piece of wire to thread it through. String on the first leg helps also. Some times you can grab the string.
see picture what is missing, who can sell me two U-bolts with screw-thread on it for an original rear sway bar?

Eddy, Believe it or not those U brackets were bolted on with coarse, large, hex headed sheet metal screws. I know it sounds ridiculous but that is what I found on my 72 Mach 1 that had never had the rear sway bar removed. Chuck
+1

Mine were the same. I used the original hardware when I reinstalled everything.

Hi,

Thanks for the idea's and pictures.

I'm going to make it myself ... bend a stainless steel threaded rod.

Eddy

:D

+1

Ok im confused. I had two other members tell me there were welded nuts in the frame if your car came with a rear swaybar. Do you guys know what size the bolts where? I was going to have custom square bolts made to fish through the frame but better if I dont have to.

+1

Ok im confused. I had two other members tell me there were welded nuts in the frame if your car came with a rear swaybar. Do you guys know what size the bolts where? I was going to have custom square bolts made to fish through the frame but better if I dont have to.
I can try to check but won't be able to do so until the weekend. I remember saving these because they were different, Don't remember welded in nuts but I'll check for that.

+1

I can try to check but won't be able to do so until the weekend. I remember saving these because they were different, Don't remember welded in nuts but I'll check for that.
Thanks,

Jim

Sorry for the delay in responding, just got back in town. Let me run down to the garage and see what I have on my cars out back.

Hi,

In need of the fasteners(plates)what comes in the body/chassis for mounting the U-brackets (rear sway bar bushing kit).

I don't know the exact name for it...

I need them asap to Belgium, who can help me?

Back