Removing pedal support bracket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I have tried searching the net but very little on the 71-73's.

Can someone help me with a play by play on getting the support out so I can install the roller bearings and the MDL clutch pedal?

I am going to yank the seat and steering column tomorrow morning, not sure if that is enough room to get at the bracket. If not, please help with what I have to do.

Thanks!!!

PS. how do I contribute $$ to the forum? I have certainly mined it pretty hard for info and feel I should be giving something back

Go to the header, click on "More", then "Donations and VIP"

The removal of the booster or master cylinder is probably required. It's been a few years since I did mine, but that and the items that you mentioned. I'd take out the instrument cluster to for ease.

MDL man pedal designed to be installed without removing the support.

I havnt done this but plan to.

I scoped out the job and figured I could get it done without removing the

support.

Let us know how it goes

I am stuck at getting out the steering column. I think its possible I dont have a clue what I am doing :)

Undid pinch bolt below rag joint

Undid the three bolts that hold that bracket to the fire wall

Undid the two plugs

Then i guess I thought it was just bolts that held the column to the dash area....I am at a loss. All of the myriad of bolts look like they are supporting each other, as in nothing can be undone without undoing someting else that cannot be undone lol

What am I missing?? HELP :)

Never mind, I am an idiot. Column is out.

Have one bearing installed, but the kit is missing a large washer to gonna see if I can find one at parts store. So far I would say that it can be done with just column out...but I could f^%& up a handshake at the best of times so we will see.

if you mean conversion kit, I got it all from Modern Driveline (TKO swap)

If you mean the roller bearing kit that came with the overall kit, its a Scott Drake product, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c5zz-2478-rb

The washer I need simply doesnt exist. I need a 1.0625 inner diameter and .1406 thickness. Any washers I can find in the city are the right thickness but wrong ID, or right ID but twice as thick. Driving me nuts

if you mean conversion kit, I got it all from Modern Driveline (TKO swap)

If you mean the roller bearing kit that came with the overall kit, its a Scott Drake product, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c5zz-2478-rb

The washer I need simply doesnt exist. I need a 1.0625 inner diameter and .1406 thickness. Any washers I can find in the city are the right thickness but wrong ID, or right ID but twice as thick. Driving me nuts
I believe what you are seeking is a Mil-Spec washer. I see them available through McMaster-Carr;

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=wu5b70

Click on "Flat Washers" and then click on "Mil. Spec." Scroll down until you find the "flavor" and size for which you are looking. Hope this helps. :)

Tommy

I found some today at a fastener place in town, I phone 4 different places until I found one. I have to zing off a chunk as its 2.5 OD and will bump into the bracket but thats an easy fix.

7173, this kit you can weld or not, depending how bad the holes are. Mine is an auto car so the holes are new. The one side I mounted is very tight once I put the snap ring on, I am not going to weld it unless I get some slop down the road.

Muswagon,

+1 with rocket366. The reason for all the questions was to help determine if would need to pull the support. It does involve in removing the Brake Master cylinder / Booster assembly. If you did pull the support, you could media blast it to make it look new again, plus make that pedal pivot installation much easier. Here is the Ford Master Parts of the dash area.

kalwx.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Company, P-B210, CR: May 1975

mustang7173

I will be back at it tomorrow, honestly the support doesn't need to come out. My car is far from being 'detailed' so not really concerned with media blasting, good suggestion however.

This whole swap was well beyond my mechanical ability, and the two guys that said they would help have been too busy to come by, it has sure forced me to push my learning curve. Has been fun but a wee bit scary.

Back