need help with clutch linkage/ z bar!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
20150507_162532.jpgI have a few questions regarding clutch linkage installation. My car was in pieces when j got it. I have never seen linkage fully assembled in person so I'm a little confused.

1. Is there a felt washer on both the frame rail side ball mount. And the trans side ball mount. I already replaced the plastic bushing that's ball shaped on the bell housing side and there is some sort of rubber seal there as well

2. In the pic below my 90 degree elbow thing that 5he rod goes through to clutch fork is very wobbly and loose. But looks like it's a rivet. How can I fix this? Where can I get one? What's it even called?

I seen diagrams but am looking for clear answers. Thanks

I have a few questions regarding clutch linkage installation. My car was in pieces when j got it. I have never seen linkage fully assembled in person so I'm a little confused.

1. Is there a felt washer on both the frame rail side ball mount. And the trans side ball mount. I already replaced the plastic bushing that's ball shaped on the bell housing side and there is some sort of rubber seal there as well

2. In the pic below my 90 degree elbow thing that 5he rod goes through to clutch fork is very wobbly and loose. But looks like it's a rivet. How can I fix this? Where can I get one? What's it even called?

I seen diagrams but am looking for clear answers. Thanks
I think I have your answer. I have a NOS z-bar that I just looked at and the rivet you describe is designed loose. They actually staked the end of the piece that passes through the z-Bar, similar to how the door hinge pins are staked. There is a flat washer on the staked end of the swivel part and the bar. My NOS unit has about 15 degrees of wobble on that part and it has never been installed on a car.

I suggest you just clean yours up and put it on!

Thanks for the replies gentleman. Does anyone know if I should pack the z bar with grease. Currently has grease in it

Re-pack it with grease. When you reassemble it use the adjustable side to get best alignment and a tight fit. Adjust the linkage per the Ford shop Manual, volume 1, section 16-03. Chuck

Originally my z-bar seal on the engine side was a rubber type deal with several ridges. It can be replaced with a felt washer if necessary. The frame side of the z-bar used a felt washer.

I installed a grease zerk fitting into my z-bar tube to make servicing it with grease much easier. But packing it thoroughly with grease during assembly will suffice.

87fox72mach - Just sent you a PM but it got bounced back as your Mail box is full

87fox72mach - Just sent you a PM but it got bounced back as your Mail box is full
Let me see if I can fix that. Chuck

I'm down to 65% used. Please try again. Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Back