• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Used Ford starters - untested - $10/ea

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Take your pick. $10/ea + $12.65 shipping anywhere in the US.

-Kurt

I'm no expert on these, but I know the last one is definitely for a C6. The first in the list also has what appears to be an auto trans snout:

$_57.JPG

The blue one may be a possibility though - the snout appears a bit short. Can anyone here confirm?

$_57.JPG

I just realized that I'm a complete idiot. After all this time, only NOW have I just realized that the blue one has a part number on the snout - and it's staring me straight in the face in this photo. I'll check this area on all three starters and report back.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea that there was a difference until I looked at the 2 bellhousings. Keep me posted.
Send me a picture of that - news to me too.

Got the part numbers:

The first black/silver unit is an 1963 Fairlane/Torino starter, P/N: C3OF-11131

The blue one is a generic full-sized 1970 Ford application, P/N D0AF-11131-D

The Bosch rebuild (photo #3 in post #1) is for a 1974 full-size Ford, P/N: D4AF-11131

Again, no info on whether manual trans or auto - unless someone can run a check on these part numbers. 11131 all sound as if they are the same application though; thus, most likely for FMX/C4/C6 applications, as the case may be.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
uploadfromtaptalk1437688022863.jpg

I tried lining up the fmx starter with the 4 speed bellhousing and the snout was too long and bottomed out. Thus, the the bellhousings accept different starters.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how it is in the U.S. with starters, but here in Australia the starters are all the same between auto and manual. What the manual starter needs is an alloy spacer that fits between the starter and the sandwich plate on the bellhousing. I'd say this maybe your issue as I've never seen a starter for either a manual or auto transmissions, either here in Australia or the U.S. If you can't find one second hand, they're plenty on eBay for sale. Hope this helps you in your dilemma.

What the manual starter needs is an alloy spacer that fits between the starter and the sandwich plate on the bellhousing.
Interesting - I had a few steel spacers like you describe for marine (diesel) applications. Pretty sure at least one of them was the same pattern as the Ford starter, so getting such a piece in the States may not be impossible.

It's rather ingenious, now that I think of it: Not only does it get the starter snout in the right spot, it ensures that the starter gear sits shallower in the hole, thus mating up correctly with the flywheel gear, which sits further away from the transmission than the gear ring on the auto trans torque converter.

According to the research I did after posting these though, the States cars used starters with shorter snouts. At least, that's what seems to be the general consensus.

-Kurt

Back