need an exhaust system for staggered shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
I have searched searched and searched. I can't seem to find a straight answer about which exist system is close to fit for a 1972 mustang dual exhaust 351c with staggered shocks. I don't mind a little modification. I would like to use flowmaster mufflers. I have hooker long tube headers. Or even if someone makes tailpipes for staggered shocks I could figure something out. I know a shop can do it.

2.25 inch systems are available. For 2.5 and larger you will need to have the tailpipe modified on the drivers side to make it work. OMS can supply you with the 2.25 inch exhaust but will need some modifications to connect them up to the headers. I am thinking that you want 2.5 inch system and you can get them but you will need to modify the drivers side tail pipe to make it fit and any exhaust shop can do that. Pypes makes a good 2.5 inch system.

I bought the standard 71-73 351C dual kit 2 1/4" from CJ's and installed without staggered shock issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a 1970 kit work. I'm wondering if I buy the intermediate pipe. The tail pipes and get my own mufflers. And a universal h pipe. Can the tail pipe be modified for staggered shocks

Any decent exhaust shop with a bender should be able to modify the pipe or even make the exhaust for you. There is a shop in town here that has the original bend cards for Mustangs back to 1965.

I can just buy the pieces from cj and maje it work. Flow master kit has an h pipe that can work but it's for 1970

Dave what kind of headers are your running. I have hooker comp I have to get reducers. I'm gonna purchase the intermediate pipes and and the standard tailpipes I guess buy my own mufflers

Back