Fuel tank question (EFI)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderguns71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback small block, now 429.
Anyone here running EFI? If so what are you doing about the fuel tank? I've noticed all the aftermarket tanks seem to have the pump/lines coming out of the top. Do our cars have enough clearance between the tank and trunk pan for this to clear? I've searched all over the net, but most people have earlier Mustangs with the drop in tanks. I'm about to pull the trigger on EFI and this is the only issue that I'm concerned about.

Thanks in advance!

I didn't use an in tank pump, the only requirement is to get the external pump as close to the fuel level sender and as low as possible. Haven't had any issues setting it up this way.

There's many ways to achieve this, the simplest being an external high pressure pump, such as a Walbro GSLxxx model with a pre-filter and post-filter feeding a regulator up front. A return line will need to be added, for which you can modify the stock sending unit and add a 3/8" port by hand, either by brazing, or some other creative form. If you're very creative you can fabricate a new one.

Contrary to popular belief, an external high pressure pump as suggested above works remarkably well and reliably. In my own case, I welded a sump to my stock tank and added AN ports for feed and return. A better solution would be to simply purchase a high performance tank from Glenn's Performance: http://www.glennsperformance.com/index.php?cPath=78

I'm also going with FiTech and their external fuel pump kit. The money I save by going that route will allow me to buy a Glenns Performance fuel tank.

I couldn't do that... for that price I could fabricate my fuel system mounting points using billet 6061-T6. Might be a good solution for someone who is unable to design and fab their own system.

Back