Rebuilt Steering Box Advice Wanted

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
I've decided to replace my leaky steering box rather than rebuild it myself.

One suggested source, Power Steering Services, wants $298.00 for a rebuild. Looks like a great place. However I can get a rebuilt box from NPD for $226.00.

$72.00 bucks is pretty significant.

Any thoughts?

The best reason I know is that with Power Steering Services you can get your box changed to a much quicker (12.7:1) ratio, with NPD you're stuck with the slow constant ratio 17:1.

Missed these when I did my steering box. Got mine from NPD plus a $300.00 core charge. Missed that upgrade option..oh well. Still operates pretty good.

Do the quick ratio. Maybe also change to a high effort valve to tighten up the steering even more
What kind of valve is that? Is that installed in the steering box or is it a valve you put in between the hoses to adjust the pressure? :)

Borgeson makes a brand new unit for our cars. Quick ratio. $400. That's what I'm doing on mine.
Where have you found it? I have been looking around with no luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I rebuilt my Saginaw 800. There are some good video's on YouTube that show exactly how it's done. I bought my "kit" from NPD, but that one does NOT have the bearings. Cost was about 32 bucks. Bearings can be purchased from a bearing supplier, as was my case. Actually, at that point, I was unaware of a more complete kit, which is available. I will confess, I have not yet tired it out as my car is still waiting on it's engine. (soon I hope)

It does take some mechanical skill and basic knowledge, but all in all, it was not that hard to do. You just need to be careful installing the Teflon seals. ( I damaged one on the sector shaft piston due to a sharp edge on a return hole) Cost me another kit as parts cannot be bought separately. LOTS of lube and a very thin piece of plastic fixed that install issue.

Mine is a variable ratio box, so I thought it worth saving. Besides the dollar is killing us right now to buy parts from the US. If it doesn't work as expected, I guess I'll be buying a 12.7:1 quick ratio anyway.

Hope that give you a bit of confidence to rebuild your own. The only really hard part was getting the old worn out pitman arm off, needed a good air impact gun and strong puller.

Geoff.

Do the quick ratio. Maybe also change to a high effort valve to tighten up the steering even more
What kind of valve is that? Is that installed in the steering box or is it a valve you put in between the hoses to adjust the pressure? :)

Borgeson makes a brand new unit for our cars. Quick ratio. $400. That's what I'm doing on mine.
Where have you found it? I have been looking around with no luck :)
The valve is inside the box. I had my box done by redhead. One of the options was to change

I went with the Power Steering Services and got the quick steer up grade. Here is how it looked when I got it back. If you plan on keeping your mustang for a long period, and your budget allows, then this may be a good option.

http://www.powersteering.com/

e9ivmf.jpg

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

I went with the Power Steering Services and got the quick steer up grade. Here is how it looked when I got it back. If you plan on keeping your mustang for a long period, and your budget allows, then this may be a good option.

http://www.powersteering.com/

e9ivmf.jpg

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:
I would definitely recommend this guy "Chip". I had my box done at Redhead steering gears. I have had some issues and when I called back to ask very specific questions on the power steering system I found their knowledge to be less than adequate. They offered no advice. I called this guy and he gave me all the possibilities of the problems and the solutions even though I had my box done by a competitor . The guy knows his stuff!!

In my mind the question would be how much originality you want to maintain. I chose Power Steering to rebuild my original box to factory specs and recondition the whole power steering system (pump as well). I am very satisfied with his work and his communication is great. I went the concourse route on my rebuild and he even swapped out my pump housing for a better one he had at no additional expense. I highly recommend his work. Now the path of getting a good driver box would lead to the over the counter rebuild shops. Weight your goals against your budget and follow that path. I can speak from experience with Power Steering that he does good work and stands behind it.

Back