Mach 1 Trunk Lid alignment issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
Hi guys

Having issues with trunk lid alignment... the lines on the lid look perfect on both sides and across the back... the lower left corner is sitting nice and flush with the quarter extension.. the issue is that the upper left corner is sitting an 1/8" high and the lower right corner is sitting almost a 1/4" high.

I have install a new rubber seal.. and was hoping to make all my alignment adjustments after the new seal was installed...

I can lower the latch to bring the right side down.. but that also brings the good left side down too far (?)

Do I need to add shims/washers? and where would I add them?

Also, I noticed the hinges are only attached by one bolt on each side..

under the package shelf.. is that right? just the one bolt on fastback hinge?

Any advise greatly appreciated!

Doug in Indy

Hi guys

Having issues with trunk lid alignment... the lines on the lid look perfect on both sides and across the back... the lower left corner is sitting nice and flush with the quarter extension.. the issue is that the upper left corner is sitting an 1/8" high and the lower right corner is sitting almost a 1/4" high.

I have install a new rubber seal.. and was hoping to make all my alignment adjustments after the new seal was installed...

I can lower the latch to bring the right side down.. but that also brings the good left side down too far (?)

Doug in Indy
Theres 2 shims (one each side) that get placed in-between the decklid and the hinge at the bolt hole closest to the rear body panel. Also if a new after market decklid the skin isn't welded to the frame like o.e.m. So it allows the skin to move around. You may have to "tweak or twist to line up then add a few small track welds to hold.

Hi guys

Doug in Indy
Theres 2 shims (one each side) that get placed in-between the decklid and the hinge at the bolt hole closest to the rear body panel. Also if a new after market decklid the skin isn't welded to the frame like o.e.m. So it allows the skin to move around. You may have to "tweak or twist to line up then add a few small track welds to hold.
Thanks! my deck lid is the original.. so I will try adding the shims..

will let you know how it goes.. TNX!

At the factory they would actually put something between the trunk lid and the trunk frame and push down on the corner that is high to twist the lid into position. If you have ever watched those guys on the line you would think they were going to beat the vehicle to death. They did it all day long and got them pretty good. They had bars that they lifted or pushed down on the doors to bend the hinges into final position. Not as precise as you would think but it works. Each station had a little less than two minutes to do their task so not enough time to remove bolts and put shims and make it perfect.

The front fenders and hood were put on after paint and did get shims in the fenders to flush them with the hood if needed.

Does your new seal have vent holes in it? If not I would change it to one that does. The vent holes let the air out when the trunk is being closed like the original had. I would also give the seal a few days to seat in while in the sun.

On some of the older cars that have a trunk that wraps down the back they actually put crush ribs in the inner panel so that the lid could be bent to match the quarter panel. I have a video somewhere of them doing it on the line to a 49 or 50 model.

Ford had a big push one time to do a "no adjust car build". I don't think that it ever worked.

You could also just unbolt the lid and lay it on top just as if it were connected to the hinges.. If the lines are even all the way around, you will need to make adjustments to the hinges as stated above.. That's how I get a good idea of the fit and function of the deck lid..

I've also come across this situation when a shop had replaced a full quarter panel. Don't know what they did to misalign the sheet metal, but I used a porta power to jack that side of the lid channel up.. It worked and the lid sealed around that area.. Just an FYI

Back