Fitment issues with front fender extensions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hey guys,

sanding here and there I found out that the original front fender extensions have a different shaping than the repro fenders. The original fenders are more round on the end so there it is not an issue. But the middle beading of the repro fenders is more sharp and goes through till the front end of the fender.

It is not a bad issue if you do not know about it you don't see it like a few other experienced people have told me. But now I know about it I want to know if others from here stumbled across the same problem and if there is an easy fix to it or I have to live with it... I do not want to do great metal work on the repro fenders. Otherwise they are quite good shaped.

Do the repro fender extensions fit "better" to that shaping of repro fenders? Or should I buy some repro extensions to tweak them a little bit fitting the sharper lines of the repro fenders better?

Left is original extension, right is an as new in condition repro fender which was on the car and which fits otherwise nearly perfect. Bought appeareantly the same new for the passengers side which is bad...

Any ideas would help... ::thumb::

Thanks!

If it were me, I would build up that area of the extension with epoxy or panel adhesive and "sand in" the body line from the fender. Sometimes while dealing with reproduction parts(especially body panels) you have to get a little creative to get your desired results. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Before you go to the trouble of buying and shipping the parts how about if someone with the repo extensions does this. Place the extension on a piece of thicker paper and trace it then send you the tracing to use to compare to the end of the fender. You could probably scan it and you print out on your side to see if there is much difference.

The end of the fender does have that bump or is raised..I have 3 cars here right now all with original fenders (no filler) which I checked. That line is a little proud (high) on your fender the line DOES NOT FOLLOW THROUGH TO THE EXTENSION

So you have a few options The 1st is to make sure you have the extension all the way over as much as possible to the edge this may require filing open the holes to get it over and up. Then add some filler to the extension to build it out but retaining the same contour. The 2nd would be to heat up the extension with a propane torch and slowly and carefully move the edge out (even though it's cast it can be heated and bent ever so slightly BUT be careful not to apply to much heat as you can melt the metal)

The 3rd would be to slice the line right in the middle for about a inch or so from the front towards the back then tap down to the right shape height and weld the slice shut after metal work. Pick your poison

IMG_1883.JPGIMG_1885.JPG

The end of the fender does have that bump or is raised..I have 3 cars here right now all with original fenders (no filler) which I checked. That line is a little proud (high) on your fender the line DOES NOT FOLLOW THROUGH TO THE EXTENSION

So you have a few options The 1st is to make sure you have the extension all the way over as much as possible to the edge this may require filing open the holes to get it over and up. Then add some filler to the extension to build it out but retaining the same contour. The 2nd would be to heat up the extension with a propane torch and slowly and carefully move the edge out (even though it's cast it can be heated and bent ever so slightly BUT be careful not to apply to much heat as you can melt the metal)

The 3rd would be to slice the line right in the middle for about a inch or so from the front towards the back then tap down to the right shape height and weld the slice shut after metal work. Pick your poison
Thank you, that helps very much :goodpost:

Will try it from first to third option and leave it where it fits and functions best!

Back