Manual transmission 3rd gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
Hi folks. My 4 speed 1973 convertible shifts a bit hard but only 1 way. Mainly when you downshift from 4 --> 3rd. All other shifts feel pretty good. I have no idea on history of tranny at all. I am not a tranny fixer thats for sure. Is there any linkage adjustments etc etc? I guess maybe go to a tranny shop but I dont want to get taken when they rebuild the whole damn thing if its minor. Any manual trans experts? TIA.

I've had this happen, too, and believe it is caused by worn synchro rings not aligning with the teeth, although it could be a combination of worn synchros and loose bearings. I never replaced just the synchros. If I go to the efforts of removing and disassembling a transmission I completely rebuild it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this happen, too, and believe it is caused by worn synchro rings not aligning with the teeth, although it could be a combination of worn synchros and loose bearings. I never replaced just the synchros. If I go to the efforts of removing and disassembling a transmission I completely rebuild it.
I agree with Don. It sounds like a worn syncronizer ring or teeth(syncro) on gear 3. Of course the 3 to 4 syncro is located where the input and output shafts meet, so there could be bearing wear on the input shaft, or at the pilot bushing too.

Considering 3 and 4 are on the same shift rail, there should not be a detent conflict in the tranny. If it were a shifter issue I would expect you to have the same problem between 1 and 2 as well as between 3 and 4. The rebuild is pretty straight forward once you remove everything to find a problem.

May be a good time to put that one on the workbench and drop a 5 speed in there.

kcmash

yea I guess if its getting pulled its nuts to fix right. You gotta go whole way and rebuild. So the MARTI sheet says it was auto from factory and this is a very nice clean 4 speed install someone did before me. Is it better to stay 4 speed at this point of shoot for 5. 5th would be awesome for highway as its like 379 rear posi now and when 55 its about 2500RPM be nice to have that one more gear OD!!!

Because it is already not original I would go for the 5-speed, for the overdrive, if not for any other reason. Having the clutch pedal already installed is a big plus.

Thanks all. I see now its probably not a "adjustment" after watching videos how they work. What you are saying about internal 3rd and syncro makes sense.

Back