Starter Solenoid Sticking On

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickping

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Tried to start my 1972 Mach1. The starter turned over, the engine fired up, but the starter continued to run. i turned of the ignition the engine stopped but again the starter motor continued to run.

I tried tapping the solenoid with a hammer, but that did not stop it. The only way was to remove the neg battery terminal.

Ordered a replacement solenoid a Scott Drake Ford licensed product. This also stayed on when activated.

I removed from my other 1972 Mustang the starter solenoid. this car had not been run since 1983. put the old solenoid on the Mach1 and a tap with a hammer and turned the ignition on and the engine started with NO solenoid sticking,

HELP what is going on with the other solenoids.

Too many replacement parts are junk now days, especially from Scott Drake. His line of products have been discussed many times on the forum.

Whenever I have to buy a new part, for any car, I half expect to have to take it back and get a replacement. NAPA EchlIn products seem to have a reasonably good quality for locally available parts.

All Ford licensed means is that he can use the Ford (or Motorcraft or Autolite) logos on his products, not approve for quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had problems with voltage regulators on my J Code Vert. I have all but given up on the factory style units, I got them from K Marti. Look nice, crap out in no time. I buy the electronic version and transfer the blue lid onto these. So, far, no starter solenoid issues... Now my ‘73 Vert is a different story. Still running it’s original starter solenoid, starter, voltageregulater and alternator... I hope they last forever lol...

I did the same as 7173Vert with using the internals of an electronic voltage regulator and the fancy cover from Marti or Drake and never looked back because it works, all the time.....

Thanks, Jay

So much of the parts sold nowadays are complete garbage, brought to you by Advance/AutoZone/O'Reilly at premium prices. Advance came to my town, sold top quality parts at half the price of the local NAPA. When they put them out of business, they changed their product lines to the economy garbage and raised the prices of the good parts by 2~3 times.

nickping,

There is so much absolute junk repo parts being sold now, I really don't know how some of this stuff ever got licensed through Ford. The sample presented to Ford for licensing  was probably a one off piece that never made it into real production. Unfortunately, the unsuspecting consumer will see the Ford engineering number on these parts and look at them in the same way as if they came over the Dealers parts counter. Because they had a Ford ID number on them, there have more than likely been some parts depts that have caught a lot of grief over some Chinese manufactured parts that were bought from who knows where!  

The "C7AF" and "C9AF" starter solenoids are concourse correct but are JUNK!! If you have a "Trailer Queen" that is pushed to its location at a car show, then it's fine for that purpose. I've heard many stories about the solenoid closing on its own and overheated wiring! I had one that closed on it's own on my 4sp 67 Mustang and drove itself across the front lawn of the Headquarters building. It was an aftermarket solenoid  that was on the car when I bought it and WAS NOT on the car when the sun set that night!  All my vehicles have the Ford solenoid, and I have NEVER had a problem with any of them!! The Ford unit is B6AZ-11450-A (Motorcraft SW-3) or the replacement B6AZ-11450-B (Motorcraft SW-7763). I know a lot of our 71-73's are no longer daily drivers, but the Ford part does carry a 2 year, unlimited mileage parts warranty! If you don't want to go to a dealer, some part houses such as O'Reilly Auto Parts carry Motorcraft. The replacement B6AZ-11450-B (SW-7763) will have the "D2AF-AA" engineering number on the mount bracket.

nickping,

There is so much absolute junk repo parts being sold now, I really don't know how some of this stuff ever got licensed through Ford. The sample presented to Ford for licensing  was probably a one off piece that never made it into real production. Unfortunately, the unsuspecting consumer will see the Ford engineering number on these parts and look at them in the same way as if they came over the Dealers parts counter. Because they had a Ford ID number on them, there have more than likely been some parts depts that have caught a lot of grief over some Chinese manufactured parts that were bought from who knows where!  

The "C7AF" and "C9AF" starter solenoids are concourse correct but are JUNK!! If you have a "Trailer Queen" that is pushed to its location at a car show, then it's fine for that purpose. I've heard many stories about the solenoid closing on its own and overheated wiring! I had one that closed on it's own on my 4sp 67 Mustang and drove itself across the front lawn of the Headquarters building. It was an aftermarket solenoid  that was on the car when I bought it and WAS NOT on the car when the sun set that night!  All my vehicles have the Ford solenoid, and I have NEVER had a problem with any of them!! The Ford unit is B6AZ-11450-A (Motorcraft SW-3) or the replacement B6AZ-11450-B (Motorcraft SW-7763). I know a lot of our 71-73's are no longer daily drivers, but the Ford part does carry a 2 year, unlimited mileage parts warranty! If you don't want to go to a dealer, some part houses such as O'Reilly Auto Parts carry Motorcraft. The replacement B6AZ-11450-B (SW-7763) will have the "D2AF-AA" engineering number on the mount bracket.
Steve, 

When a product is Ford licensed. While someone may look at the part or item, I do not think they test for quality.

So much of the parts sold nowadays are complete garbage, brought to you buy Advance/AutoZone/O'Reilly at premium prices. Advance came to my town, sold top quality parts at half the price of the local NAPA. When they put them out of business, they changed their product lines to the economy garbage and raised the prices of the good parts by 2~3 times.
Sounds like what Walmart did around here

When they first came to my area so much stuff had MADE IN THE USA signs

Those disappeared with all the other stores that closed around them.

nickping,

There is so much absolute junk repo parts being sold now, I really don't know how some of this stuff ever got licensed through Ford. The sample presented to Ford for licensing  was probably a one off piece that never made it into real production. Unfortunately, the unsuspecting consumer will see the Ford engineering number on these parts and look at them in the same way as if they came over the Dealers parts counter. Because they had a Ford ID number on them, there have more than likely been some parts depts that have caught a lot of grief over some Chinese manufactured parts that were bought from who knows where! The "C7AF" and "C9AF" starter solenoids are concourse correct but are JUNK!! If you have a "Trailer Queen" that is pushed to its location at a car show, then it's fine for that purpose. I've heard many stories about the solenoid closing on its own and overheated wiring! I had one that closed on it's own on my 4sp 67 Mustang and drove itself across the front lawn of the Headquarters building. It was an aftermarket solenoid  that was on the car when I bought it and WAS NOT on the car when the sun set that night!  All my vehicles have the Ford solenoid, and I have NEVER had a problem with any of them!! The Ford unit is B6AZ-11450-A (Motorcraft SW-3) or the replacement B6AZ-11450-B (Motorcraft SW-7763). I know a lot of our 71-73's are no longer daily drivers, but the Ford part does carry a 2 year, unlimited mileage parts warranty! If you don't want to go to a dealer, some part houses such as O'Reilly Auto Parts carry Motorcraft. The replacement B6AZ-11450-B (SW-7763) will have the "D2AF-AA" engineering number on the mount bracket.
I could only find SW-7663 for this part.

jpaz,

The B6AZ-11450-B (Motorcraft SW-7663) replaced the “A” version solenoid. The reference to the “A” (SW-3) solenoid is mainly for reference purposes. A small parts store with a slower moving inventory may still have some old stock or if still using paper catalogs (yes they are still out there) will not indicate the new number. I have also seen some of the original SW-3 solenoids show up on EBay occasionally.

I would use the SW-7663 and never look back! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks secluff. Reason I chimed in cause I’m having a problem with my engine continuing to run when I turn key to the off position. I recently had my engine rebuilt and the shop put on a new solenoid, but I don’t know what brand it is. It’s definitely not a motorcraft. Just wanted to make sure I get a good one. I never had this problem before the rebuild.

Back