Later Model Seat Installtions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
As some of you may have gathered, I am PRIMARILY a "modifyer" when it comes to practicing our hobby. I tend to try and make my vehicles more enjoyable by making tasteful (for me) modifications.

That having been said, I am looking at installing later model seats in my '73 Grande. While I am not limiting myself, I am currently looking at other model mustangs.

Has any of you had any experience with this type modification in a '71 - '73 Mustang? Specifically, I am curious as to what seats were used for the install and what issues (if any) were experienced.

BT

Interesting topic! I was just thinking that the seating in the 71-73's is pretty miserable! I'm 6'-1" 300 lbs...getting in and out and remaining comfortable inside is not an easy task for me. The smaller Grant wheel is mandatory for me to even fit in the thing! LOL

6'-5" 280 fun ain't it :D the best is try to push on the parking brake with the door closed.

i have not seen any aftermarket installs on 71-73s its a bit of pain since the 71-73 uses that seat pan with the bolts from the top and the older cars get bolted from the bottom.

when i do my floors i will be moving my seat pan back 1-3" and lowering it about 1"

I'm 6'5" and about 300 myself... and honestly, I don't have a problem with the leg room and/or headroom in mine. My tilt column is also stuck in-place (i.e. the signal switch is toast), so I don't have the added pleasure of moving the wheel out of the way.

As far as e-brake with the door closed - you should try just changing gears with a 4-speed in a 1980 Jeep CJ-7 with the full hard doors on.

That is, however, an interesting thought with regards to simply moving the floor pan back a few inches when you replace it. I'll be replacing mine soon, and I might just have to take that into consideration.

We are a bunch of big guys; I'm 6'4" and 255 pounds! That might make a good poll to see who falls into different weight and height ranges!

I moved my seat back on the existing seat rails many, many, years ago. It's seems like I just drilled holes further back on the rail and bolted the seat back on further back. It was not a hard mod.

If you figure out how to convert to newer seats, I would recommend some 2001 Mustang Bullitt seats or the 2003/4 Mach 1 seats. They are both retro style and have great support on the hips and sides for cornering. You see them up for sale every once in a while on Mach1Regisgry.org and IMBOC.com (International Mustang Bullitt Owners club). The newer Mach 1 seats even have simulated Comfort Weave.

Are there non power seats or will you have to wire for power also
Good point! The Bullitt and late model Mach 1 seats are power on the drivers side; but the seat controls are on the front of the seat. The passenger side is manual adjustment. The 71 to 73's already have wiring under the seat for the seat belt buzzers and automatic latch openers (when equipped) so it would probably not be too hard to wire-in a late model seat.

6'3" and 290 here. We would have a killer tug of war team here!

I moved my seats back 3" for leg room, I like to sprawl out in the car. I am looking for something a little more comfortable and it would be a bonus if they had integral seat belts since the convertible does not have very adequate belts.

6'3" and 290 here. We would have a killer tug of war team here!

I moved my seats back 3" for leg room, I like to sprawl out in the car. I am looking for something a little more comfortable and it would be a bonus if they had integral seat belts since the convertible does not have very adequate belts.
I put in the TMI sport seats (foam and covers) and am happy with them.

Rex

machseat tmi.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't help but reply here. At 6'6" and 240, I don't yet have a seat problem in my 72 coupe, as the car is almost completely disassembled. I had already planned to push the seat risers back on the new floor pan to gain some room, but I'll be watching what you all end up doing in the comfort department. I've got pppplllllenty of time left before I look at that issue, but I found the thread interesting.

Mark

i should also add, i don't have a tilt column, but you can gain some room if you take out your oem steering wheel and install a grant wheel they are smaller so you gain leg room.

Couldn't help but reply here. At 6'6" and 240, I don't yet have a seat problem in my 72 coupe, as the car is almost completely disassembled. I had already planned to push the seat risers back on the new floor pan to gain some room, but I'll be watching what you all end up doing in the comfort department. I've got pppplllllenty of time left before I look at that issue, but I found the thread interesting.

Mark
being the small guy here 6'2 215 I have never had a problem with the seats for the most part, newer seats would be nice but at least these are better than a 68 stang I had before.

At 6'1" and 170, I still have to almost dislocate my right knee to slide it under the steering wheel as I get in the car. Once inside, I'm fine, but I have to extend my right leg as I crouch down and slide into the seat.

Please let me know what you find, BT, as I may be interested in swapping my OEM seats for late models ones.

Thanks!

Skinny :)

wonder if late model Mustang power seats will work on 72 Mustang - Same problem, to hard to get in and out of car at 78 years old

I ran into this as well, I'm one of the guys who installed the new seat pedestals without trimming them. I did not know they were taller. It wasn't a problem until I put in new foam and upholstery. Now I do have the "fat man in a little car" problem. 6'1" 285 lbs. I even moved the seat pedestals back 1 inch when I installed them. Just remember, if you move the pans you can't use the molded carpet, or, it don't fit very well, ask me how I know!!! I'm just hoping the new foam settles a bit, otherwise I may have to trim my seat pedestals next year!!

I ran into this as well, I'm one of the guys who installed the new seat pedestals without trimming them. I did not know they were taller. It wasn't a problem until I put in new foam and upholstery. Now I do have the "fat man in a little car" problem. 6'1" 285 lbs. I even moved the seat pedestals back 1 inch when I installed them. Just remember, if you move the pans you can't use the molded carpet, or, it don't fit very well, ask me how I know!!! I'm just hoping the new foam settles a bit, otherwise I may have to trim my seat pedestals next year!!
I know how you know - because I did the same thing 3 years ago.  LOL!  :whistling:

lollerz

Back