Double Din Radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double Din Does not fit well ( can be done ) but a single din with double DIN screen works great.  Added front and back cameras and Apple car play for navigation.

not a difficult install.   I have it out of the dash right now while I finish up the A/C. this is the best picture I have of it in my office computer. Ill see if I have any better shots at home.

IMG_0157.JPG

There have been a few, here's one

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/33814-71-double-din-dvd-with-back-up-camera/?tab=comments#comment-347407

Nobody has written up a tutorial, though

In answer to your question, yes that is a single DIN with a flip up. A word of caution about the operating system (Android) it is two versions out of date and there likely won't be any way to update it. The current version of Android is 11. If you try to install apps you'll likely encounter some that require the latest and you'll have no way to update it.

There have been a few, here's one

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/33814-71-double-din-dvd-with-back-up-camera/?tab=comments#comment-347407

Nobody has written up a tutorial, though

In answer to your question, yes that is a single DIN with a flip up. A word of caution about the operating system (Android) it is two versions out of date and there likely won't be any way to update it. The current version of Android is 11. If you try to install apps you'll likely encounter some that require the latest and you'll have no way to update it.
That single din with flip was just an example. 

Thanks

mine is not a flip it is a sony xav-100 the body of the stereo is on top and the screen below. it hangs down over the factory A/C controls some but does not interfere with their operation.  it is not very feature rich but allows front and back camera and apple car-play which gives me navigation, music and more, just no CD/CVD ( and alas no 8 track ). obviously does not look very stock. -- I almost went with a stock look and the real stereo in the glove box or trunk, but As I am sure you know view out the rear is not great and backup camera is very nice to have.  

I found that a Double DIN did not fit as well, because the stock center trim piece angles up a bit so the stereo sits angled down and wants to hit on A/C controls behind the dash. the single with double size screen with the head unit on the bottom also had similar issues. Again It can be done this was just more plug and play

the camera inputs and amp outputs ( red wht yellow below) stick out and are harder to fit the closer they are to the floor. the fact that the face angles up is actually nice in that there is less glare in the sun and it is a nice angle to look down at.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-1t85qyTjZq6/p_158XAV100/Sony-XAV-AX100.html

g158XAV100-F.jpg

g158XAV100-B.jpg

So that's a single din with a double din fixed down.

Looks great as it doesn't look like it blocks the a/c - heat controls. 

Question???

1) I wonder if you could have gone a little wider screen to cover the OEM radio control holes?

Anything else you can say about this and the install would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Decided that if I'm going to give it a shot I'll purchase another double din like I have in my 03 Jeep.

I don't have steering wheel controls on the Jeep, so I added a Parrot system that allows me to answer/hang up without touching the phone. I'm able to start a phone call by tapping the green button and saying a commend to call...

DoubleDin.jpg

just did initial install of kenwood, fits nicely, minimal hacking, except for bezel.

double din 3.jpg

double din.jpg

Latest posts

Back