Resistance wire

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71fastback

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportsroof.
Hey everybody.

I've been looking at the wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual and at the wiring diagrams that are on this website. I'm trying to figure out if the wire that use to go to my old coil is a resistance wire. The reason I'm trying to figure this out is because I changed out my distributer to an HEI distributer that has a built-in coil. I used the wire that went to my old coil to get 12v to the new distributor. The car seems to run fine but I wonder if I'm causing any harm to the new coil or perhaps losing some performance by using this wire. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

1971 base model sportsroof with a 302

Good question, I've been using the same wire with no problems for quite a while.

We have a stock distributor in my 351C 4V with Pertronix "points" and HV coil.

We did not change any wiring even though a 'pink' resistor wire behind the instrument

cluster was mentioned.

mike

Hey everybody.

I've been looking at the wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual and at the wiring diagrams that are on this website. I'm trying to figure out if the wire that use to go to my old coil is a resistance wire. The reason I'm trying to figure this out is because I changed out my distributer to an HEI distributer that has a built-in coil. I used the wire that went to my old coil to get 12v to the new distributor. The car seems to run fine but I wonder if I'm causing any harm to the new coil or perhaps losing some performance by using this wire. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

J..you need to confirm that the wire is in fact NOT a resistance wire. H.E.I systems NEED a FULL 12 volts..It will work for a while but eventually burn out the module. ( Of course it's going to happen at the worst possible time) It's the same mistake the "PRO" who wired my friends pantera made ! Very easy to check if it is a resistance wire. Get a digital volt meter..(walmart cheap!) Pull the wire..connect to the positive of the volt meter, Put the negative of the voltmeter to a good known ground (battery negative) Turn the ignition on & take a reading Should be very close to 12 volts or higher. anything less than it's a resistance wire & you need to run a new wire to keyed 12 volts.

Hey everybody.

Thanks,

Jason

J..you need to confirm that the wire is in fact NOT a resistance wire. H.E.I systems NEED a FULL 12 volts..It will work for a while but eventually burn out the module. ( Of course it's going to happen at the worst possible time) It's the same mistake the "PRO" who wired my friends pantera made ! Very easy to check if it is a resistance wire. Get a digital volt meter..(walmart cheap!) Pull the wire..connect to the positive of the volt meter, Put the negative of the voltmeter to a good known ground (battery negative) Turn the ignition on & take a reading Should be very close to 12 volts or higher. anything less than it's a resistance wire & you need to run a new wire to keyed 12 volts.
That's what I figured Q. I'll check it with my meter and make the neccessary adjustments. It's been nagging me in the back of my mind since I installed the distributor but I never got around to it.

Jason

Back