Reupholstering the back rear seat on a 71-73 Mustang Fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archifx

Reaction score
My Car
72' Mustang Fastback (Mach1 Wannabe :)
I am beginning the dis-assembly of the old nasty existing upholstery and seat cushions (seat foam) in the 72 Mustang Fastback. This stuff is possibly the nastiest stuff I have touched or smelled in this ol’ mustang. Imagine, 40+ years of dirt, grime, weather, and sweat in these old seats is being removed and thrown away. This old seat foam literally crumbles to the touch and is extremely brittle. In these photos I am photographing the dis-assembly process and the re-assembly process of adding new burlap underlayment and seat foam (1st layer) I am waiting on my fresh upholstery from Distinctive Industries and will do another post once I receive and begin the installation.

49 PHOTOS OF THE DIS-ASSEMBLY AND RE FOAMING AND UNDERLAYMENT

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THEM

Yep nasty stuff..I'm not sure what your using to paint the frame work (flat black spray bombs? ) But I would recommend using black shell or sem rust shield..The problem why those frames get so rusty & then start a process of degrading the burlap & foam is that the burlap & foam are in constant contact with the metal..Those materials absorb water (humidity) With the upholstery as a cover it's like wrapping a layer of plastic over it all..You need the best protection possible to stop rust from forming & ruining your hard work & investment.

Good point... I am using rustolium flat b paint after wire brushing most of the nasty rust off of the frames. I will take your advice on the front seats moving forward. Thx for the tip. I am always open for suggestions and never claim that "I know everything" thx for the advice Q

Nice, can't wait to see the upholstery on that.

I second the Rust Bullet Black Shell, Great Work though.

Back