Not a 71/73 ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
74-78 Mustang II had 4 lug 8" - 100% positive.

I think even the Pinto/Bobcat had an 8" at some point or another. Maverick/Comet came with 8" as well, not sure if/what year/engine would have 4 lug 8".

Last edited by a moderator:
According to my reference (Hollander Interchange Manual), as it relates to the early Mustangs the 65-70 six cylinder Mustangs came with 4-lug wheels.

Eight inch rears were used during the entire period (65 - 73), dependent to a certain degree on what engine was being used For example, most small blocks used the 8 inch while the high performance (289 Special, Boss 302, 4V 351 and big blocks) generally had the 9 inch.

Keep in mind that there are many other Ford vehicles that used the 4 lug wheels and the 8 inch rear. They are all interchangeable.

Hope this helps.

BT

According to my reference (Hollander Interchange Manual), as it relates to the early Mustangs the 65-70 six cylinder Mustangs came with 4-lug wheels.

Eight inch rears were used during the entire period (65 - 73), dependent to a certain degree on what engine was being used For example, most small blocks used the 8 inch while the high performance (289 Special, Boss 302, 4V 351 and big blocks) generally had the 9 inch.

Keep in mind that there are many other Ford vehicles that used the 4 lug wheels and the 8 inch rear. They are all interchangeable.

Hope this helps.

BT
Looking foe a drum brake with pull out pumpkin

Those will all have the 7 3/4" Hotchkiss type (integral carrier) rear axle, except, IIRC the 69-70 Mustang with 250-6. I believe it had the 4-lug 8" rear.

EXCELLENT observation, Dennis.

Just because the car has 4-lug wheels does NOT mean it has to have the 8-inch rear. The early six cylinder Mustang is a good case in point.

BT

Back