oil leak feedback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
Ok guys I am in desperate need of help. I replaced rear main seal and pan gasket on my 351c 4v 2 bolt main. Leak was gone and now its back. It's a constant drip. When I replaced the seal the bearing looked normal so I doubt that's the problem. What could make the seal go bad again. If that's even the problem. I replaced the cam plug torqued the galley plugs oil pressure is great. Can anyone give some insight on if these are common with the seals or do I need to look any where else I might have overlookedthat may be other common problems. I am very frustrated just did all this work a month ago.

If you used the 2 piece nitrile seal, did you remove the rope seal pin? If you used the 2 piece did you stagger the end gaps so they are not aligned with the cap to block mating surface? If you used an anaerobic sealer on the cap to block mating surface, did you wait more than 5 minute to torque it or get any anaerobic sealer on the seal itself (it will eat most synthetic rubber)? These are all just shots in the dark. Good luck. Chuck

Did you check the crank endplay? A worn thrust bearing can cause rear mains to go bad repeatedly. When does the leak happen? If its when the car is stationary and running it is likely the rear main.. if it is when the engine is off and stationary it is likely the oil pan or oil pan gasket.

End play is good PCB valve is good. After doing research I realized I did not stagger the seal

Found out not staggering the seal gaps away from the main cap gaps was an issue after my rebuild, corrected and no leak.
What the hell does this mean? Seriously. I haven't a clue.

Warning...ranting of automotive magazine involved.

Chuck, thanks for linking to the article in Mustang Monthly. Reminds me why I stopped subscribing to it and other similar rags(no insult meant to rags)...the word choice is POOR and the photos incomplete. ugh...this rant is not meant to demean the expertise of anyone here, especially Chuck. It is only because of your help I understood the article.

I intend to demean Mustang Monthly. They are just one of many crappy journals that post poorly worded articles with crappy illustrations often missing critical information that I tried to rely on. To add further insult, new articles often contradict previous articles.

1. "The Right Stuff between the seal and journal".

In the photo, I don't see any sealant between the seal(rubber piece sticking up) and the journal(piece with red lube on it).

Don't they mean "The Right Stuff between the seal and seal seat?" Otherwise, I am putting sealant in that round cavity between the crankshaft journal and the seal.

A journal supports a rotating body. A seat supports an item in a fixed position. Google "seal journal" and "seal seat", see which one is appropriate.

2. "Staggers the seal end caps."

Stagger refers to items which criss cross...like the staggered rear shocks of a BOSS 351 Mustang. Why would I want to have seals criss cross each other?

Not very elegant but: "The two end cap seals should be rotated in their seats, leaving a portion of the seat open for the opposing seal. This will seal the gap when the end cap is mounted."

It also would have been much better to include a photo of the mating part with the seal in it. People like me who only build an engine once every ten years don't necessarily have a picture of the mating part in our head

3. Photo #10. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Do you really want me to put goop around my exhaust intake like that? And, if you do, do you really want me to leave it looking like that.

4. If ANYONE HERE finds I have written anything wrong here or anywhere else...not a matter of opinion, but totally wrong, please let me know. I know I am a new member, but I am looking to find and looking to spread CORRECT INFORMATION ONLY. I do my best to correct bad information, and suspect many other members do as well.

Got to relax, it is Friday. Maybe I will go and hunt down that 8" rear end.

Warning...ranting of automotive magazine involved.

Chuck, thanks for linking to the article in Mustang Monthly. Reminds me why I stopped subscribing to it and other similar rags(no insult meant to rags)...the word choice is POOR and the photos incomplete. ugh...this rant is not meant to demean the expertise of anyone here, especially Chuck. It is only because of your help I understood the article.

I intend to demean Mustang Monthly. They are just one of many crappy journals that post poorly worded articles with crappy illustrations often missing critical information that I tried to rely on. To add further insult, new articles often contradict previous articles.

1. "The Right Stuff between the seal and journal".

In the photo, I don't see any sealant between the seal(rubber piece sticking up) and the journal(piece with red lube on it).

Don't they mean "The Right Stuff between the seal and seal seat?" Otherwise, I am putting sealant in that round cavity between the crankshaft journal and the seal.

A journal supports a rotating body. A seat supports an item in a fixed position. Google "seal journal" and "seal seat", see which one is appropriate.

2. "Staggers the seal end caps."

Stagger refers to items which criss cross...like the staggered rear shocks of a BOSS 351 Mustang. Why would I want to have seals criss cross each other?

Not very elegant but: "The two end cap seals should be rotated in their seats, leaving a portion of the seat open for the opposing seal. This will seal the gap when the end cap is mounted."

It also would have been much better to include a photo of the mating part with the seal in it. People like me who only build an engine once every ten years don't necessarily have a picture of the mating part in our head

3. Photo #10. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Do you really want me to put goop around my exhaust intake like that? And, if you do, do you really want me to leave it looking like that.

4. If ANYONE HERE finds I have written anything wrong here or anywhere else...not a matter of opinion, but totally wrong, please let me know. I know I am a new member, but I am looking to find and looking to spread CORRECT INFORMATION ONLY. I do my best to correct bad information, and suspect many other members do as well.

Got to relax, it is Friday. Maybe I will go and hunt down that 8" rear end.
Wolverine, How do you really feel about this:p? Seriously, no offense taken. It is not a publication I'd count on either, very few are accurate, complete, and reliable. Most are just ads with a few words in between. It was just the first half way decent picture I found. Chuck

I guess I just have too much respect for myself to actually put words down on paper/monitor that mean crap...as you should all be able to tell by now.

Back