Survivor? Original? Restored? What?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDew

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Brite Lime, 351C Ram Air, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, Louvers, and more.
Here's a Question for you. Different people have different viewpoints, so what is it? What's the difference between a 'Survivor' and a Restored Car? I figure that an 'Original' is an untouched and unrestored but I'm not clear? Are there any other categories besides Concourse out there? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Here's a Question for you. Different people have different viewpoints, so what is it? What's the difference between a 'Survivor' and a Restored Car? I figure that an 'Original' is an untouched and unrestored but I'm not clear? Are there any other categories besides Concourse out there? Any thoughts? Thanks.
I think it means too me....how much survived of the original equipment...From paint too just simple things inside...That have not been restored and been on the car sence it come from the factory...Thats how i see it...I had a mustang restorer..call my mustang a survivor...cause it still had all the original power windows...all the way down too the original "most are broken" fan shroud on my car...even my factory radiator still in my car....Alot of those things dont survive time...meaning survivor in many ways..lol

In my experience it means something different to just about every person who expresses a view on it. Then there's the "unmolested" cars, a whole new story. I think what matters is that the person who owns the car likes the way it is. I consider my car an unmolested one but there are some that would point out I did modify the ignition by adding an ignitor and a different intake so it has been "molested". It gets wacky but it's what keeps it interesting and I personally appreciate all input, positive and negative.

My understanding is a survivor is an unrestored original that is still in nice presentable condition.
THAT! Once it´s been restored it no longer is a survivor.

Friend of mine has a few survivors (Mopars and a 70ies Trans Am) and those cars have a very special mojo to them.

My understanding is a survivor is an unrestored original that is still in nice presentable condition.
I agree with droptop73 on this. My convertible is a survivor.... all original with the exception of dual exhaust. the Mach I .... it's all original equipment but the motor, tranny and gear have been upgraded.

Good discussions. Upgrades with OEM options? Retro Mods? Any level of changes (except oil and spark plugs :)? I see that it means different things to all of us. Mine, for example, was upgraded with the factory tilt column and full instrumentation although the Marti Report will clearly show that it did not come that way from the factory. However, I kept it true and accurate to the availble factory options of the day, so does that take me out of the 'Survivor' category and put me into the 'Customized' or 'Restored' Group?!? I hope not.

However, I kept it true and accurate to the availble factory options of the day, so does that take me out of the 'Survivor' category and put me into the 'Customized' or 'Restored' Group?!? I hope not.
It think you would do well in the "unmodified" division, sure in a judging contest they would probably subtract some points but overall sounds like that would be the best categorization for your car. The modified division gets pretty wild and normally has far more entries (from what I've seen).

I considered my 73 Convertible a survivor up until 2010 as it was all original. It still looks original now except for clear coat paint, but was disassembled and taken to bare metal for a repaint.

Survivor- STILL BREATHING...might not be pretty but breathing is all that matters.

Examples. Pam Anderson. Mick Jagger. Rod Stewart. Dick Clark....scratch Dick.

In all cases I think you should have the car like you want it. But as far as a survivor I agree with what was posted. A car that has it's original paint unrestored and all the options it cam with from the factory untouched. engine might be rebuilt and some parts changed but that's it. Oem to me means as it looked straight from the factory. With over spray and everything. But it's pretty much impossible if you ask me because most of the paint jobs you see on oem cars are better than the factory.Personally I consider mine a BEATER not perfect not original but I will drive it like it's in a Mad Max movie.:p

Survivor- STILL BREATHING...might not be pretty but breathing is all that matters.

Examples. Pam Anderson. Mick Jagger. Rod Stewart. Dick Clark....scratch Dick.
I'm like survivor as still breathing with majority of original parts.

Guess that scratches Pam from that list also.

I hope the following link works. Here are the judging classes for Mustang Club of America with a few qualifying statements for each class. I agree that everyones perspective varies on our personal definition. Hopefully, this helps from a mustang judging perspective.

http://www.mustang.org/content.php/186-Mustang-Classification

I hope the following link works. Here are the judging classes for Mustang Club of America with a few qualifying statements for each class. I agree that everyones perspective varies on our personal definition. Hopefully, this helps from a mustang judging perspective.

Will not work unless you are logged in, maybe you can copy and paste for us

Will not work unless you are logged in, maybe you can copy and paste for us
See if this works?

The Mustang Club of America Judging Classes.docx

Attachments

• The Mustang Club of America Judging Classes.docx
    18.2 KB · Views: 13
Back