Headgaskets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
Planning to pull heads off to check if H gaskets and on correct. Thinking..could be my problem lol... the pasengerside should be easy with front tab on right corner. But would the left side need to be flipped or are the gaskets different for each side. Over thinking this are the chances more likely the drivers side is wrong? Trying to talk myself out of pulling heads to correct hot soak thumping.

Alan L

Hey Allen -

I was gonna snap a pic of the head gaskets for you, but can't seen them anymore with all the crap installed. I remember I installed one upside down backwards because that's the only way it would go. With 60 miles on the rebuild, so far so good.

Doubt if that helps, but that's my 2 cents.... :)

Here is a photo of the tab...

10349d1257213130-302-over-heating-car.jpg

As I do not delve in this matters often, I had a hard time seeing the tab. The tab is the small silvery piece to the right of the bolt. I wouldn't call it a tab as so much an overlap.

Tabs should be at the FRONT on both sides.

Here is a thread on the 335 forum:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/thread/1335140904/I%27ve+got+a+problem.

Apparently he got one side wrong.

went on CJ for parts and they sell headgaskets as each so gaskets are the same

Alan L

had no tabs on gaskets, just were stamped front.

Also headset does not come with correct intake for 4V so need to buy seperate.

Alan L

Not sure if any others will bolt on but are you sure you have the correct water pump?
Does waterpump impeller rotate with flat side of blade or open side? have old water pump and not sure if rotation correct

Alan L

Last edited by a moderator:
But would the left side need to be flipped or are the gaskets different for each side.

Gaskets are interchangeable. You will need to flip the one side,(believe it's the passenger side, but not positive) so the word FRONT is facing the block.

The coolant passage in the gasket should be up front.

Take your time, clean the block and head really good before you put the new gasket down and put some sealant on the headbolts.

Good luck!

The tab should be at the front on both sides, No need to pull them if it is.
My tabs are in the front both sides.

The driver's side is a little larger than

the other side and a different shape.

Don't know if that means anything in

Ford Lingo, but ya never know.

mike

went on CJ for parts and they sell headgaskets as each so gaskets are the same

Alan L

had no tabs on gaskets, just were stamped front.

Also headset does not come with correct intake for 4V so need to buy seperate.

Alan L

Not sure if any others will bolt on but are you sure you have the correct water pump?
Does waterpump impeller rotate with flat side of blade or open side? have old water pump and not sure if rotation correct

Alan L
The water will sling from the blades they do not cut into the water

Last year when I discovered nothing matched my VIN, having an H code with a 4V under the hood. Spec'd out the heads to be 1971 part#'s and the block is a 1972. Could this have anything to do with my hot soak coolant thumping?

Alan L

OK..went to the machineshop/engine builder who races clevelands and he said No to headgaskets on wrong. Would have cooked the valves or even the engine if cooling passages blocked. Since not overheating and thumping is near the highest point of the engine and hoses are jerking with the thumping it is air inside the engine. The same as if air in water pipes in the house banging and pipes jumping.

He made T-Stat housing with a bleeder to let out air. He said I could also loosen each hose to bleed air. I may split the upper Rad. hose add a short peice of alum. with a bleeder to let air out.

Alan L

OK..went to the machineshop/engine builder who races clevelands and he said No to headgaskets on wrong. Would have cooked the valves or even the engine if cooling passages blocked. Since not overheating and thumping is near the highest point of the engine and hoses are jerking with the thumping it is air inside the engine. The same as if air in water pipes in the house banging and pipes jumping.

He made T-Stat housing with a bleeder to let out air. He said I could also loosen each hose to bleed air. I may split the upper Rad. hose add a short peice of alum. with a bleeder to let air out.

Alan L
ALAN you knew this was coming:s

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Yeh Yeh....trying to spec out something that looks ok, but still coming up with a drain cock. any ideas that might look better.. My cover with breaded cover?

Alan L
What about one of the new car style bleeders drilled an tapped into your housing

Just ran mine with the cap off to burp the air out, but be ready to slap the cap on quickly

Last edited by a moderator:
Back