72 R code restoMod project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.417780018274667.123943.100001280181143&type=1

Ive been trying to load pics here with no luck. The site keeps locking up.
Hi Phil,

Nice project you have going..Looks very similar to mine..I'm going resto mod too !Try the the tiny pic for loading pics..Then just cut & past the code into your post..

Take a peek at my project might help you with yours:)

http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FUZZENUT/MUSTANG-%20BACK%20FROM%20THE%20GRAVE/

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut/videos?sort=dd&view=0

Hmm, might be firefox. I try using tiny pic but when I click on the link it doesn't go anywhere. Ill try it on my other PC tonight.

Excellent job QCode!. Are you using Rustbullet or POR 15? If you haven't tried Rustbullet... DO... Its 4X better than POR15.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are driving me crazy! Q code and R code Restomods!!! :dodgy:

:D

Actually - you are both taking your cars to a higher level of technology. While I will always be a purist at heart, I have to confess your changes help make your cars much more drivable.

And while both your cars are rare, they will be on the road and available to be enjoyed. (not crushed or rusting away) That is the true spirit of this car hobby.

Whether fully modded, completely stock or something in-between, the ability to have and enjoy them as you wish is what it's all about. :run_horse:

Ray

Thanks Ray...

I know what you mean... I struggled with making this rare a car a resto. But I have an original 60 Vette (48K original miles) and an original 63 split Window Vette so I have my share of originals. Every time I go to a car show more than 90 miles away I need to make a sacrifice to the gods to stay in their good favor to make it to the show. ;)

Not this time. EFI, 6 speed, good brakes and modern creature comforts... I can relax knowing I'll make it and in comfort.

Hmm, might be firefox. I try using tiny pic but when I click on the link it doesn't go anywhere. Ill try it on my other PC tonight.

Excellent job QCode!. Are you using Rustbullet or POR 15? If you haven't tried Rustbullet... DO... Its 4X better than POR15.
Thanks Phil

Rustbullet all the way ! I've been a big proponent of it on the site..Por 15 = old technology

Well, if you're going to restomod anyway...want to trade?
LOL. Right now I have an "R code in a box". ALL the parts are off the body. I do like the 351HO 4 bolt main which will come in handy when I put the Paxton Novi 2000 SC on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. Right now I have an "R code in a box". ALL the parts are off the body. I do like the 351HO 4 bolt main which will come in handy when I put the Paxton Novi 2000 SC on it.
Man...They made less of them motors than boss 351's....You sure you dont wanna get a q code 4v cleveland to build instead?.. that motor is going to be worth so much soon...lol..Already is right now...".if it was me"..I would stick the HO away and grab a regular 4v cleveland...Same heads and block..With out being super rare..will make the same power...That is one of the rarest production mustang v8's besides the 429 boss.....But its your car to do with as you please :) im just saying..Only 390ish made...And only a hand full left out of them that didnt explode...That motor you could probly trade strait across for 2 totaly rebuilt super charged clevelands new out of the box...lol..Its that rare and valueble.

Man...They made less of them motors than boss 351's....You sure you dont wanna get a q code 4v cleveland to build instead?.. that motor is going to be worth so much soon...lol..Already is right now...".if it was me"..I would stick the HO away and grab a regular 4v cleveland...Same heads and block..With out being super rare..will make the same power...That is one of the rarest production mustang v8's besides the 429 boss.....But its your car to do with as you please :) im just saying..Only 390ish made...And only a hand full left out of them that didnt explode...That motor you could probly trade strait across for 2 totaly rebuilt super charged clevelands new out of the box...lol..Its that rare and valueble.
+1

+1
You guys are making me feel bad... Maybe Ill sell the drive train and buy a crate motor... How much you willing to pay for the engine/tranny???

You guys are driving me crazy! Q code and R code Restomods!!! :dodgy:

:D

Actually - you are both taking your cars to a higher level of technology. While I will always be a purist at heart, I have to confess your changes help make your cars much more drivable.

And while both your cars are rare, they will be on the road and available to be enjoyed. (not crushed or rusting away) That is the true spirit of this car hobby.

Whether fully modded, completely stock or something in-between, the ability to have and enjoy them as you wish is what it's all about. :run_horse:

Ray
I am on the island with Ray. The rarity of this car would convince me to restore it vs. modify. "In my opinion" the money is in restoring this R-Code versus modification. It is your car and you have the right and the ability to do whatever you want with it and I will never tell someone their wrong to follow their dream, BUT if you did go the path of restoration you could easily fund the heavy modification of a plain old Mach 1 to the way you envision this one.

Either way, I am glad you choose to join our group and we will all be here to support any questions as you go down the path of getting your car up and running.

You guys are making me feel bad... Maybe Ill sell the drive train and buy a crate motor... How much you willing to pay for the engine/tranny???
Unfortunately I already am invested in a 429. I think selling the drivetrain and pumping up a crate motor is the way to go. Or mothball the drivetrain in case you want to go back to original configuration.

I've thought long & hard about what to do with my #'s matching drivetrain..I've already had the 72 q code 351 Cobra jet motor completely rebuilt..It had about 1000 miles on it before I took the car off the road..I intend to drive my car & don't want to have to worry about babying it, Or damaging the #'s matching engine..I also wanted the option of being able to put the car back to original should I ever decide to..So Here's the route I'm going to go.. Not sure which of the 2 but 1 of them is going in the stang

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13113

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2012_BOSS_302_5_0L_444HP_CRATE_ENGINE_p/m-6007-m50b.htm

QCode, after I added up the EFI (Mass-Flo), the new drive trane (six spd, new bellhousing, flywheel, dual hydraulic clutch and alum drive shaft, the Paxton V2000($4K), Electronic ignition ($400), Headers, ($400), electric steering, electric water pump, electric fuel pump, Im looking at around $18K..

The wife is now giving me grief about the money so I may be putting the entire drive trane on the market to help offset the cost.

It might be better off in a purists hands.

I've done a lot of work on the body already and its about done with all the patches. I dont want to go through all that work again... So I likely will keep the body.

Do you think there is an interest in someone buying the entire R code engine, tranny and drive trane with all accessories? And if so, what would it be worth? I have no idea.

Man...thats a tuff one...How bad is the body ? need some more pictures...unless your just super attached too the car and body...some collector would pay much more to have the body that matched the motor.."im not sure how much till i see more"..Its tuff too price even with pictures........thing is..HO R CODE stangs havent hit there high yet...You will be kicking your self years later im afraid...specialy after you see the same car you owned on tv and bragging how rare it is...lol...Its a future shelby cobra or boss.....It will be that rare of a car...already is...its just our cars are just now getting popular...Everyones getting tired of seeing 69 in magazines..lol

So i see your delima...Its a tuff choice...But hey..We will stand behind ya no matter what you do for her...It isnt the end of the world if you decided to mod it out....But i wouldnt go spend 18k on new runing gear..just buy one on ebay thats been on done up ....Like this one.... looks like alot done too the motor and a decent body ...and if you wait around..better deals than it will show up..for your average rod stang....one your not afraid to mess up http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Cobra-Jet-1972-Mustang-Mach-1-Q-Code-Cobra-Jet-/360469291545?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item53eda4e219 this one 12,000 and looks like a mean built motor with spendy aluminum heads even..lol..but i would keep your eye peeled...and lets see some more pics of what this r code is looking like.

I am not Scott (Qcode) but I will give you my "take."

I would think that the premium price to be paid by a "purist" would be the entire "numbers matching" package which would include the "body." Now the next premium price would be someone who wanted to build a clone or someone who might want to misrepresent what they have as being a true "R Coded" 72 Mustang.

You have to remember that as it relates to the different versions of the Clevelands, the main differences are in the heads, camshafts and the mains. For those who are trying to build "performance", there are much better options out there than the 40 year old technology that went into the '72 Mustangs.

I like the fact that you are making inquiries before going down a particular path. In the end, hopefully you will have considered ALL the factors IMPORTANT TO YOU prior to making a decision you might come to regret.

Just my $.02.

BT

Back