Keep it up! ha ha I may be ready to start once you get yours done, and I'll have all of your procedures to do it..Thanks Man!

1972 H-code Mach1

2010 GT Premium

2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

1995 F150- The "home depot" machine

2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting for my wife ratio AOD to be completed by Silver fox Performance Transmissions... should be a couple of weeks yet

Sweet! Can't wait til you get yours going. I'll be mounting and hooking up the shifter and making a TV cable bracket this weekend... and hopefully, take it for a spin around the parking lot of the shop. That won't be weird or anything. :-/

I poked around a bit when I saw the comments about the TCI valve body and found these:

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/index.php?topic=5455.0

Apparently, there seems to be some controversy about the TCI/Silver Fox valve bodies vs. just setting up the TV cable properly. Mine has the 'Block' cable, and is still set by the factory from when it was in my pal's '89 5.0 - so I think I'm OK there. I just need to make a bracket for it to actually work properly.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Guys,

I have an AOD behind a 351 Cleveland in my Model A and used the Lokar aod cable set up. This cable is very easy to install and has infinite adjust-ability. Just another way to do it !!!

Thanks, Jay

Yeah, I have heard bad things about TCI, but the only bad thing I have read about Silver fox is regarding communication. I hear good things about his products. And I will confirm he doesn't over communicate... but he will answer emails... just dont bother asking 2 questions in one email. You will only get an answer to one of them.

Guys,

I have an AOD behind a 351 Cleveland in my Model A and used the Lokar aod cable set up. This cable is very easy to install and has infinite adjust-ability. Just another way to do it !!!

Thanks, Jay

I'll bet it's nice. I'd thought about the Lokar cables as well... until I realized my pal had given me everything except the speedometer cable and the TV cable manifold bracket (which were both still in-use on his car). I also balked when I saw the price tag for a simple cable and bracket - I can't justify spending the $200+ on a cable & bracket, when I already have a perfectly good one that actually came with the transmission (for free, even).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Excilent tech article/thread!!

However may I suggest a major change to those emulating the AOD swap?? That being Don't use an AOD!!! With No Disrespect to turtle 5353, who's tech info is almost directly pertainable to the AODE/4R70W's too.

AOD's have always been a weak tranny and were last built in 1993. Since then, the electrically operated(they do need a stand alone controler), much improved AODE/4R70W versions of the AOD family have taken their place. AODE/4R70W's though much strengthened internally(can easily handle 450+HP), share the same case and exterior dimensions as the AOD with two exceptions.

The AODE/4R70W bell housing is 1 inch deeper (so the trans is 1 inch longer) and the Outside Diameter of the drive yoke is larger(1.5 inch vs 1.590) So that the tailshaft housings are different in yoke diameter opening.

C-4, C-6, FMX, AOD, and T-5 all use the same 28 splined yokes, except the T-5 version is splined all the way to the throat opening, and so is much stronger. When using AODE/4R70W s simple 6 bolt swap to the AOD short tailshaft housing, and you can use the T-5 yoke.

Just about two years ago I outlined a 4R70w swap into my 73 Vert. Plz think of this thread as addenda to turtle5353's fine tech.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-up-grading-to-a-aode-4r70w

My EFI 331 65 2+2 also uses a 4R70W.

yoke.jpg.png.87ce7db22c36055d6be5d5d1adf23ea0.png

trans.jpg.199510b591dfacbb02c9a3bddd60f25f.jpg

Miss May, 65 2+2 EFI 331 4R70W 3.55 trac-loc Not much origional remaining

Robert's 73 Vert 308 4R70W 3.25 trac-loc. EFI conversion & 8.8 Trac-Loc 3.31 started.

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it yet.

Thanks for the note. I would've considered an AODE, except that I lucked out and was 'gifted' my AOD. Hmmm... what to do... go find a $2500 AODE, or use this FREE AOD that just fell into my lap. Yeah... there's not a lot of gray-area there. ;) :D

I must've gotten a T-5 yoke then, because mine's splined all the way to the end (my pal also kept his yoke for his TKO).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

An AOD will be strong enough for my application. And much simpler than going to an Electronic control.

+1

1972 H-code Mach1

2010 GT Premium

2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

1995 F150- The "home depot" machine

2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra

An AOD will be strong enough for my application. And much simpler than going to an Electronic control.

As I'm not very well known on this forum, I'll try not to get into a "heated discussion" with anyone, untill I've been around long enough to earn some cred.

That being said, on the AOD vs AODE/4R70W topic, please check out;

http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

http://www.becontrols.com/techguide_2.htm

http://www.rosehillperformanceparts.com/Index.htm

http://www.ford-aod.com/#Performance%20Parts

Besides CZ-75, IF, I've deduced properly your AOD prolly has 4R70W internals, gears clutch discs and wider bands. So it ain't hardly yer average AOD. And it still doesn't have a solid one piece output shaft or a fully lock up torque converter.

Also, the less "simple" electronic controler has a ton of advantages over the AOD's PITA TV valve. Hehheh, I learded the difference the hard way, I had one!! The photo of the two tranny's above is of the AOD that came out and 4R70W that went in instead.

Then again, that's why god had sooo many Mustangs made, So's we can each do our own, as we please.

Best

Tubo

BTW I'm also a CZ guy, w/CZ-82, P01, and SP01

C6 is a 31 spline yoke...

Yup, I stand corrected.

....Hmmm... what to do... go find a $2500 AODE' date=' or use this FREE AOD..... ;) :D...[/quote']

Well heck I don't blame Ya, free iz guid!!

How ever the AODE/4R70W's ain't necessairly $2500. My first one(65 2+2) was NOS @$750, and the second(73 Vert) was nicely rebuilt and $625. O'course the shift kit was extra.

Robert's 73 Vert 308 4R70W 3.25 trac-loc. EFI conversion & 8.8 Trac-Loc 3.31 started.

Thanks for the links - Rosehill is where I got my AOD yoke from.

Interestingly enough (and since you mentioned it), I am also a CZ guy (CZ-85B). ;)

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

You are correct! My AOD is being built by Dan Gilsdorf with 4R70W internals, upgraded valve body, an upgraded output shaft and a brazed lock-up converter custom built by Chris at Cilcle D.

I'm sorry I don't really do a very good job of posting a lot of details. It seems I'm always in a hurry, especially at work when I'm supposed to be working and not fiddling on the net. ;).

I'm going with 3.89 rear end, versus the 2.75 that is in it now.

The tranny is being delivered soon, so hopefully next week, I can report on how it goes.

Interestingly enough (and since you mentioned it), I am also a CZ guy (CZ-85B). ;)

Gotta love the ambi controls on the 85!!!

Thanks for the links - Rosehill is where I got my AOD yoke from.

Glen Buzek"Rosehill Performance" is a long standing Buddy of mine,('nother Forum) and also where I got myT-5 yoke from, Hehheh betcha they're the same part # too. He is a heck of a guy, and with his brother Steve, they now own Steve's Mustang Parts, outside of Tomball Texas.

CZ's do Rock don't they!!

I dropped off my car at the shop that will do the swap. I have been worried for a while that I really found a shop that knows what they are doing.. they had a 1970 fastback on one of their lists with an AOD installed... I can rest easy.

• 3 weeks later...

The shop finally got my car in and have pulled the FMX out. But before they install the AOD, they want to put the dipstick tube on.

They are looking for the best solution. According to my research, and AOD dipstick tube from a FOx body Mustang with a 5.0 and AOD will work... but can anyone tell me how it mounts? to the firewall or to the engine block?

To one of the bell housing bolts above the starter

To one of the bell housing bolts above the starter

Absolutely correct!

In fact, nothing "hard connected" to the engine/tranny actually mounts to the firewall because vibrations and such would most likely tear up sheet metal.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I picked up my car this wekend, and drove it quite a bit with the AOD installed. It would shift into a higher gear too soon. The car seemed to want to keep RPMs down below 2,000. It also wouldn't kick down from OD to 3rd gear. Last night, when I got home from a weekend at the lake, I tightened up the TV cable, but have not had a chance to drive it again.

Also, the throttle seems a lot stiffer than it used to be.

The cable might be a little too tight. I'd drive it first to know for sure, but it makes sense to me that if the throttle is tighter, and it's shifting too soon, then the operating pressure controlled by the cable might be a little too high (this is all based on my research - I don't have any practical application). Now that the TV cable is [essentially] attached to the throttle linkage, there should be a little bit of difference, but not hugely noticeable.

Also, check the routing of the TV cable to ensure the cable is not pinched or have a too tight radius anywhere - which would cause cable binding and make things 'stiffer' to operate. You want a little bit of pressure on the TV cable to keep the operating pressure in the right range... but the cable shouldn't require much effort to operate at all.

Also, don't drive it too much until you get things properly set-up. Having no (or too low) pressure on the TV cable will cause the transmission to burn-up... and having too much will likely cause similar issues that might just take longer to realize.

Glad to hear you got it all back in and working. Now you just gotta fine-tune everything and enjoy!

BTW - how's do the gear ratios feel (should be essentially the same as the FMX, until OD - might feel a slight difference because of the 4R70Ws... but probably not as much as you think)? Did you get the rear gear swapped out yet, or was that going to be a later project?

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Well, I talked to the shop and they said it sounds like it needs more pressure. I told them there was a little bit of slack in the cable. They said it sounds like the retaining set screw may have slipped. I will test things out later today.

It's acting like the transmission thinks I'm coasting