1971-72 Mach 1 vs 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting, ...was the power restricted in 73 for emissions reasons ? ... I don't know -- there was a point Chevrolet cranked the power down on all their Corvettes for this;  making them lame through the mid 1970's
The manufacturers changed from SAE gross horsepower rating to SAE net horsepower rating in 1972. This made the 1972, and later, engines appear to have much less horsepower. While actual horsepower was down, due to increasing emissions standards, it was not nearly as much as the change in rating standard made it seem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it just the 'cosmetics' that the FB poster was concerned with? I presume they know the emissions,hence power, restrictions that came in from '72 onwards.
The facebook poster ended up purchasing the 73 Mach 1 with a 302 ci engine. I believe the styling issue were the front and back bumpers and its theoretically confirmed by the members who chipped in with their opinnion

Steve - that really clears it up -- in fact the whole thread helped me learn a bit more  ... many thanks  ::thumb::
I thought you are on vacation er... holiday = drinking many beers ... pints AKA alcohol. Your brain should not be capable of

learning during this week or two :D :D :D

I would think that some enterprising young man, knowledgeable to the scarcity of reasonably priced original urethane '71-'72 front bumpers, would by now have come up with a replacement. My thoughts are to make a replacement out of fiberglass that , when painted, looks correct. I believe a steel internal support would not be too hard to mold into the piece. Maybe even just fit over the chrome stock bumper.

I know, I know.....some people will say a fiberglass bumper is relatively not enough protection, but it could be sold with a disclaimer "for display purposes only", and anyway, the factory '71-'72 urethane bumper hardly does it's job anyhow....ask me how I know! The rear '71-'72 bumper is no better....mostly there for looks, no better than a '65 Mustang bumper.

My 71/72 painted 73.

ebRFMXG.jpg
Tweaked some since.

PGTUH4P.jpg

Back