1971-73 Mustangs: Why are they the least liked ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Thundertc64. While the nameplate 'Mustang" continued in 74 it was an embarrassment. The long nose and running downhill is Classic Muscle to me!
awww Its wasnt that bad..Very strong bodies...Even stronger than the fox...The v8 ones are very fast with little mods...I use to think they were so ugly..But last 10 years i start to notice..I think they look more like the new mustangs than the 79 on area..lol...Then i got that one behind the shed..Well after alot of research,,,,kinda like are cars 71-73..Got a rap they didnt desurve..But they were made for a diffrent time.... watch this one thou....WOW...I would take it in a heart beat...850 HP under the hood..What a sleeper mustang ii cobra..lol

I tend to agree with some of the comments of others regarding the period of time that our cars came to be. In general the increasing insurance costs and gas prices put a break on the general publics desire for muscle cars. Our generation of mustang ended that lust for power and performance over econonmy. I think the Ralph Nader's of america doomed our cars. True, they are not the most recognized and often the least present at car shows. I do beleive that each body style has its moment in the sun and that we are heading for the sunrise on the 71-73 mustangs. Either way I think our cars are the best looking. I fell in love with this bodystyle before I could drive and will forever like this body style over all of the other mustangs I have or will have in the future.

I dont have great answer on why these cars are so "controversial" my biggest hurdle with it is the "visual heaviness" of the rear from a side profile, but what do I know we chopped one up and ruined it for some! HAHA , I will say though for someone to say Pegasus will have a tiny part in bringing some more attention to them is a huge compliment and thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
The main reason... IGNORANCE! Like has been said before if the haters would drive one of "our" Mustangs they would love it. They are the same as the nothing but chevy droolers. If it doesn't fit their box they feel threatened on some level.

The HP drop in these years was considerable. With the gas crisis looming over everyones heads, Ford was trying to make an economy, muscle car. Then in 1974 they downsized to the Mustang 2 to meet consumer demand of economical cars. They went downhill for quite a few years after that.

Nothing to say we can't change that now though. Right? Nice, big engine bay in our stallions!
My '71 351C 4V quench is rated at 285 hp but it probably puts out

much more. They fenagled the hp ratings back then. I don't think

they made another Mustang with a V8 for ~22 years after '73.

Do what it takes to keep it original.

mike

That lil Cobra II in the video is bad to the bone! I'd be proud to drive it. While not my favorite I still like the II's a lot. Dad bought a new one in 74 and I spent my traveling childhood for the next 11 years in that car's back seat. In reality that was probablythe first car I really drove when I was 12. I definitely learned to drive a stick in that car.

If I didn't have so many Mach 1s I wouldn't mind having one.

I had a rant about this a little while back in another of Detector's posts. I think it's asinine that people don't like "our" cars just because they don't look like the 64.50-68's. What, do "they" want another Beetle, a car that didn't change for something like 40 years? I like the character, the look, the stance, and the fact that ours are pretty rare.

compare the front nose of a 71-73 to a 69 or 70 Gt500 and you see the similarities.

comparison.JPG

I really agree that the public likes our cars. I get alot of compliments on mine, and mine is pretty jacked up at the moment. The purists might appreciate the older ones more, but i like our unique ones more. Plus ive seen way more 64-70 mustangs on the road compared to 71-73's which is cool!

TnFastback I love amc javelins, I fell in love with their body style since it has similarities to the fastback.

Also looks a lot like a Javelin
I never noticed that but you're right. Javelins are a little more common here in south east Wisconsin though. Like a lot of people have said I think they came out at a bad time. They were designed for big block power which they only got for one year, then they crippled by emissions standards.

Back in high school I wanted a 69 or 70 Gt500 bad and really bad,,,, could not find one I could buy and ended up with a 73 coupe, still have the coupe,,, if I could just get a chrome bumper for the front of that sucker without changing the fenders I'd be happy

In my eyes, the 69/70 Shelby is the best looking pre 71/73 Mustang available. I imagine the reason why I think so is because they look like the 71/73's.

As for other cars similarities (what is that saying about copying being the purest form of flattery?) - the reasong the 71/73 Mach 1's excell is that they are a complete package. No doubt the pretty face is what first grabs your attention but the 71/73 Mach 1 is not just a pretty face, it also comes with a heart of gold and a soul of worth, willing and eager to take on lifes challenges and stay right with you. And to beat all at the end of the journey the inheirent beauty that drew you at the first is still there.

That lil Cobra II in the video is bad to the bone! I'd be proud to drive it. While not my favorite I still like the II's a lot. Dad bought a new one in 74 and I spent my traveling childhood for the next 11 years in that car's back seat. In reality that was probablythe first car I really drove when I was 12. I definitely learned to drive a stick in that car.

If I didn't have so many Mach 1s I wouldn't mind having one.
That is a bad to the bone one..I sure wish mine looked and ran like it did right now!!

But i do got to say...There is not one year of mustang i really dislike...I think they all look awesome...But i like my 73 stang the best..lol

My '71 351C 4V quench is rated at 285 hp but it probably puts out

much more. They fenagled the hp ratings back then. I don't think

they made another Mustang with a V8 for ~22 years after '73.

Do what it takes to keep it original.

mike

They got rid of the V8 in 1974 then brought a 302 c.i. back in 1975, mostly because everyone complained there wasn't a V8. If I recall right it only made like 130 horsepower.

I believe its lack of knowledge from even average mustang enthusiasts. Even at mustang only car shows when I'm sometimes the only 71-73 there I will get asked several times what year my car is. Then they are looking right at the engine and ask me what it is as they cant identify it. Like its totally alien to them.

Chevy guys don't seem to have the same type of stigma about their 70-73 models from what I've seen.

In my eyes, the 69/70 Shelby is the best looking pre 71/73 Mustang available. I imagine the reason why I think so is because they look like the 71/73's.

As for other cars similarities (what is that saying about copying being the purest form of flattery?) - the reasong the 71/73 Mach 1's excell is that they are a complete package. No doubt the pretty face is what first grabs your attention but the 71/73 Mach 1 is not just a pretty face, it also comes with a heart of gold and a soul of worth, willing and eager to take on lifes challenges and stay right with you. And to beat all at the end of the journey the inheirent beauty that drew you at the first is still there.
That's kind of poetic Steven. I like it.

I would like to find one to drive to and from work.
That would be cool! I like that idea. Maybe I'll get one after all & do the same. :D

Of course my wife would kill me if I did!

I believe its lack of knowledge from even average mustang enthusiasts. Even at mustang only car shows when I'm sometimes the only 71-73 there I will get asked several times what year my car is. Then they are looking right at the engine and ask me what it is as they cant identify it. Like its totally alien to them.

Chevy guys don't seem to have the same type of stigma about their 70-73 models from what I've seen.
Exactly that..Lack of Knowledge! A lot are just followers and will agree with the next just to fit in. I'm also into Motorcycles and mostly on the custom side. A lot of your "Hard Core Harley Purists" think their "American" made bikes are the best and if you don't have one then you aint s#$t. Well, try wrenching on your own bike LOL! You'll find that most of the parts like electronics and suspension are from Japan and the newer bikes are European and Japan infuenced. The patent sound is just not their anymore. The old school purists will tell you that the true American Harley design ended with the Ironheads back in the early 80's and even then they had Showa suspensions and japan electronics. It's all lack of knowledge and pure ignorance! Hate racism/autoism in any form.

Back