1971-73 Mustangs: Why are they the least liked ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is most likely not a fire-damaged car, but a future stunt-car that has had its "skin" removed so a full-body crash/roll cage could be integrated with the chassis. It was probably left outside in the weather while Halicki collected enough time/ funds to continue the project. Remember, this film was 100% self-financed by Halicki and had many instances of stoppage during production. It took a LONG time to film the movie because of that.
That is the stunt Eleanor that was converted, Kit - but have a close look at the enlarged image. Everything short of those replacement shock towers and aprons are charred. Not even areas which would have some sort of factory finish (overspray or otherwise) still have paint on them, except for the rocker where it tucks under the front fender.

The smoking gun (pardon the pun) is the steering wheel. Look at it. It's down to the metal frame. Not even Halicki would be nutty enough to melt the steering wheel plastic off the frame - and what for?

-Kurt

Cage's brother...as in Nick Cage? I think you are getting the '74 original confused with the 2000 remake.

To clarify: The car(s) used in the '74 original movie were in reality 71/72 Mustangs with 351 Clevelands. This is a known fact and is extremely well-documanted. The "character" of "Eleanor" in the movie was portrayed as a '73 mach 1, even though the two "actors" playing Eleanor were in fact 71/72s dressed up with 73 grills. No mention at any point in the movie claimed it was a '73 429 Mustang (of which there were exactly zero made). There was no mention or reference to "Eleanors's" engine size anywhere in the movie.

And yes, the stunts in that movie...and in all car movies back then were "real". CGI had not even been thought of yet, and miniature work was not realistic enough unless you spent big money. It was just cheaper to smash up real cars!

We all cringe at all the cool cars wasted in that film...especially that green Charger with "billboards". But remember, those were just cheap-o used cars back then.
Wow I should "study" movies instead of just watch them for entertainment. I might appear smarter...
Not likely lollerz Sorry Carter but you left yourself wide open :p
HHaaaaaaaaa :huh: dammit!!!:mad: :D:D:D:D

I've had a 70 Boss 302, 70 Chevelle, Cuda, 65 Fastback, etc-all Nice cars. But still my favorite is my 71 Mustang. I like the way it looks. Just do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a 70 Boss 302, 70 Chevelle, Cuda, 65 Fastback, etc-all Nice cars. But still my favorite is my 71 Mustang. I like the way it looks. Just do.
Line them all up and cover each one of them with a form-fitting car covers.

Then step back.

There's only one silhouette that will make you unexpectedly say "wow" - and it's the '71-73 Sportsroof.

-Kurt

Line them all up and cover each one of them with a form-fitting car covers.

Then step back.

There's only one silhouette that will make you unexpectedly say "wow" - and it's the '71-73 Sportsroof.

-Kurt
That's because they look like they're going 100mph just sitting there!

:cool:

Grant

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because they look like they're going 100mph just sitting there!
Just ran outside to take a photo of just that:

96db3l.jpg

-Kurt

I am sure all of you have heard and read that the 1971-73 Mustangs are like the Ugly duckling of the classic mustangs,Not too sure of the reasons but one that sticks in my mind is that the design of 1971-73 seems to deviate from the original concept of the Pony car long hood/short deck lid and that they grew in size too much...

So what is your opinion on why they are the least popular of the Classic Mustangs? What have you read or heard at shows or events?
Lee Iacoccaca never like them before they came out but Bunky Knudsen(of course his longevity w/Ford was not a long affair) got them past the approval board, per se, before anything would stop production. Lee called them the 'Dinosour' or was it 'Dino-soar' If we would have continued that direction of big vs smaller, might have cost a little more to make a diamond out of rough per se, but my our my faith in our design, the 2015 Mustang would have been even closer to those $100g exotic cars and still be as economical to maintain and operate.

The original Mustang was cool but..

Some of Lee Iacocca's (other) dreams turned into reality...

(sorry Pinto-Mustang II fans)

lee_iacocca.jpg

Not my favorite Mopars either>

K-Car.jpg

Ray

Look at the size of the wheels on the '65 vs. the '74 M-II. Then look at the front wheel position.

Then ask yourself what anyone thought they'd achieve by putting the M-II on the Pinto platform - stretched in length to the maximum engineering limits - instead of the Maverick platform.

-Kurt

The Mustang II was a very succesful car overall, and the Chrysler K-cars invented an entire market segment. Iaccoca was a salesman, not a designer. His primary goals were always to create products that would appeal to the masses and sell in high volume. He is undeniably one of the most successful in that regard. He was never interested in primarily satisfying the small but vocal "enthusiast" buyer. He recognized that enthusiasts represented a smallportion of the market, and his focus was targetted elsewhere.

The II, the Granada, the Pinto, Maverick, K-car and the Caravan may not be remembered as "exciting" to guys like us...but they were phenomonally sucessful. That was his job: Sell cars today. The future "collectibility of any vehicle is of little to no interest to the manufacturers.

Kit - for the most part you are correct But-

You said, "The future collectibility of any vehicle is of little to no interest to the manufacturers."

I agree for mass-produced cars but-

What about the Ford GT's? Ford stated in many automotive magazines how the cars were developed to excite buyers for Ford products in general and they knew they were building instantly- collectable limited production performance vehicles

I guess that is what you meant by "little to no interest". :)

sad but true - the big manufacturers like sales volume and $$$$

The specialty car manufacturers are not mass producers...

Ray

Those cars are called "halo" cars by the manufacturers, are are never intended to be big profit-makers for the companies. You are correct: they are intended to increase interest in the rest of the line. They can be thought of as "loss leaders". Face it, if Ford couldn't sell a healthy amount of cheap coupes, the Mach 1s and convertibles wouldn't have existed.

The GT served no purpose to Ford other than to "shine up" its perception as a sophisticated manufacturer, which would then wash down to all the lesser products in potential customer's minds.

Enthusiast-oriented vehicles are a luxury afforded to guys like us only because Ford sells so many F-series and Focuses (Focii?).

Last edited:
I've owned two early mustang, a 1965 and a 1966 and having driven 1967 and 1970 mustang a lot and I have to say my 1972 is the car I prefer to drive. The 65 and 66 felt cheaply built and the 67 felt cumbersome and under powered the 70 was better because it was a Grande but almost too Grande for me. My Q code 4speed Mach1 is the perfect balance of both worlds comfort and performance. People who disrespect 71-73 mustangs have never driven one. Where ever I go people compliment my car. Young people stare at it and give me thumbs up. Don't get me wrong I love all mustangs but non more then 71-73.

A mate of mine has a 70 fastback and it gets a lot of attention, but since I've had mine it seems to get more. Maybe it's the flashy strip down the side, I don't know.

But I've always liked having underdog things, whether it be a 1979 Fender Stratocaster or an old Lotus. I've never felt like following convention. That's why I've a 71-73 :).

Kit - for the most part you are correct But-

You said, "The future collectibility of any vehicle is of little to no interest to the manufacturers."

I agree for mass-produced cars but-

What about the Ford GT's? Ford stated in many automotive magazines how the cars were developed to excite buyers for Ford products in general and they knew they were building instantly- collectable limited production performance vehicles.

Ray
Well, I still stand by my assertion that the manufacturers have no interest in the collectibility of thier vehicles beyond and advertising/ reputation standpoint.

The phrase "Instant Collectibility" shows it all: Ford is building a strong demand through inferred collectibility so thier current product can enjoy sales success.

This is much different than long term collectibility. Ford cares not a whit for what a '68 GT Fastback goes for at Mecum...beyond helping to maintain brand loyalty and legendary status.

Maybe it isn't fair for me to paraphrase and say they don't care at all...of course they do. But thier overiding primary concern is just selling thier current products and making shareholders happy.

I agree: the 71-73 is the best overall driving/ handling/ performing Mustang of all the classic "originals"...as should be expected: it was the most up-to-date design of any of them at that time.

I feel the same about the 2nd gen Camaro/Firebird ( 70-81). Those cars are very similar to our Mustangs in handling finesse and comfort. As GM continually improved that chassis, the handling and braking just continued to improve by leaps and bounds. Credit for that goed mostly to Herb Adams, a near-genius suspension and handling engineer at GM at the time. He went on to form VSE and sold some tuner-versions of TransAms in later years.

If our big-body 'Stangs would have survived production up to 1980 or so, I think they would have experienced a similar continual improvement in handling along the way. Imagine factory-designed radial-tuned suspension on Radial GTs, 8" aluminum rims, N/gas shocks, variable-rate springs, Durometer bushings, 4-wheel discs...

It kinda' breaks my heart a little that our ponies weren't given the opportunity to reach thier full OEM potential like the GM twins.

A lot of the modifications I have done over the years to my car are pretty much in line with that philosophy: improve the existing platform as much as possible unnoticeably( is that a word?) with today's improved technology.

Last edited:
Back in high school I wanted a 69 or 70 Gt500 bad and really bad,,,, could not find one I could buy and ended up with a 73 coupe, still have the coupe,,, if I could just get a chrome bumper for the front of that sucker without changing the fenders I'd be happy
Hi,

I did it to my 73. You don't have to change the fenders. You only have to get the metal bracket that goes under the 71 bumper. You also will need to get the brackets for the 71 bumper and cut and weld modify the two brackets.
I..... I want pics :D

Back in high school I wanted a 69 or 70 Gt500 bad and really bad,,,, could not find one I could buy and ended up with a 73 coupe, still have the coupe,,, if I could just get a chrome bumper for the front of that sucker without changing the fenders I'd be happy
Hi,

I did it to my 73. You don't have to change the fenders. You only have to get the metal bracket that goes under the 71 bumper. You also will need to get the brackets for the 71 bumper and cut and weld modify the two brackets.
I..... I want pics :D
would not mind the hood -n- ducktail once a bi turbo was installed on cleveland but a way to go with the AC AND BREAKS

I believe the reason the '71-73 bodystyle is the least liked is because it was just too exotic in it's looks for back then. The almost horizontal rear roofline, Kamm back rear, and NACA hood scoops were unusual for their time. The claim that they do not handle as well as the older ones is just untrue, they were one of the best handling cars of their time. Personally they are my all time favorite car. My first love was a Medium Gold Yellow '73 Mach 1. I hope to one day own another!

I was in High School for those three years.....'71, '72, '73. When these cars first came out, they were absolutely a departure from what Ford offered previously. They offered Boss cars, and a big 429 wedge for the first year at least. Still, the car looked "big" compared to what we were used to. Ford guys were still racing 427 side-oilers. A kid who could save up some money , could only afford a used car, an older car, something from the fifties or sixties. ( My first car in 1972 was a 1930 Model A Ford, for example, a 42 year old car! ) I can remember walking home from school one day, and seeing a brand new 1/2/3 Medium Yellow Gold coupe in a neighbor's driveway. I thought it's shape was the ugliest POS I'd seen, and that American Cheese Yellow......it sucked. I was 18. Most kids, who had cars, didn't have A/C, didn't have power steering, our cars didn't have pcv valves! Most guys preferred four-speeds over an automatic "slush-box". Back then, there were every year of Mustang, Camaro, Falcon, GTO, GTX, Firebird, AMX, Vettes, Roadrunners, El caminos, Rancheros, running around on the streets in every neighborhood, in every town. Hemi Cudas, Boss Fords, Z-28s, W-30s, Stage 1/2/3 Gran Sports prowled the streets too. Ram Air? Hell, lots of guys had fibreglass hood scoops added to their cars, if not holes in the hood where the two carbs with velocity stacks on your tunnel ram stuck up through. And, don't forget, there were still a lot of fast and flashy '30s and '40s Ford Hot Rod coupes and roadsters being driven daily that could kick your arse in the quarter mile.

So,.....as cool as we think our 1/2/3 Mustangs are today, back then, they were kinda "business as usual", and weren't the standouts they are in todays world.

Fast forward to today.....I own a 1971 Mach 1, Medium Yellow Gold.....a 44 year old car, and I believe it's one of the best cars, I've owned. I even think the color is cool, now.

Check this out..... 35 years old, 60 years old, and my first car when I was 18.

Annie with '32 grille.jpg

With 442 Olds.jpg

IMG_3112.JPG

Back