1971 Coupe resto-mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, love what you have done to your Coupe and great to see more of them restored and in many cases modified or improved.

An update on where we are. Rear Jag IRS now in place and not far off being ready to weld in fully. Luckily I have access to a very trick/brand new laser wheel alignment piece of kit that when we have the front suspension updated and in place (Street or Track Bilstein kit) we can check, measure and adjust accordingly to ensure straight and true. Scott made a up a jig/bracket to adjust and looks and measures up very well at the moment.

Recent work has been on fabricating the rear suspension/shocks using the original Jag top hats. Some really nice and strong fabrication that looks great and gives the car the original Jag layout in the back of the Mustang! Perfect wheel placement and suspension travel. We lowered the car down on Thursday night and sits really well on its own weight.

Last week we removed the old auto box from my donor engine and have now attached new gearbox spacer and manual box. Scott yesterday then managed to trial fit the engine and gearbox to measure up and it fits really well and almost sits on the original engine mounts!! Had to cut out a hole in the firewall for clearance but this will be covered over when all in position.

Great progress and the largest fabrication jobs are being ticked off!

Photos and pics to follow!

Floor opened up to fabricate and locate Jag rear strut/top hats.

DSC02219.JPG

DSC02220.JPG

DSC02224.JPG

Rear brace fabricated and welded in with Jag mounts for shocks and rear mounts fabricated to be adjustable.

IMAG1171.jpg

IMAG1172.jpg

IMAG1173.jpg

IMAG1174.jpg

IMAG1167.jpg

IMAG1168.jpg

IMAG1169.jpg

Manual box attached to engine and stripped on ancilliaries to help ease access and fitting. A great fit and engine mounts are not far off!

DSC02246.JPG

DSC02247.JPG

DSC02250.JPG

DSC02251.JPG

DSC02252.JPG

DSC02253.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Your just banging it out. Looks solid. Keep the pictures coming!!

Wow. Your just banging it out. Looks solid. Keep the pictures coming!!
Thanks! Yes some really good progress daily. Trying to figure out best option for rack and pinion change, trying to look at alternatives to the 'kits' available and come up with a solution. A few more panels ordered from the states but good progress on the front sheet metal and rust repairs.

DSC02289.JPG

DSC02293.JPG

DSC02294.JPG

DSC02297.JPG

DSC02301.JPG

DSC02306.JPG

DSC02315.JPG

DSC02334.JPG

DSC02339.JPG

I personally do NOT like the original Ford shock towers. Depending on how good you are with a welder, I went with with a complete new front member made by full tilt street rods. removed the shock towers all together, made new 3/16" thick front frame rails. This set up is much stronger than the original sheet metal towers and does not require top cross bracing which IMO always looked like an after thought when Ford realized the towers would flex without it. It also frees up around 20" of space int he engine compartment. Space I need for batteries (EV project).

I bought the entire front end with 12.6" slotted and drilled rotors, 4 piston Willwood brakes AND rear end (FAB9 with same brakes + Emergency brake) for $6K.

I also put in coil overs in the rear, 2 way Viking Adjustable shocks all around. Triangulated rear suspension that's much nicer than the original leaf springs.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Total-AUTOmation-Works-LLC/599825060053495?ref=hl

If you like what you see, Like the projects FB page.

Tell Clay with Full Tilt Phil sent you.

It does take a lot of work but if it was easy, everyone would do it. Worth it in the end IMO.

Going to be a unique engine bay with that Jag motor. Keep those great shots coming. As for the EV project, I have to agree with the export brace being some kind of afterthought but by now were used to seeing them there lol. With the crazy power the EV is going to make your going to need those brakes.

Going to be a unique engine bay with that Jag motor. Keep those great shots coming. As for the EV project, I have to agree with the export brace being some kind of afterthought but by now were used to seeing them there lol. With the crazy power the EV is going to make your going to need those brakes.
Thanks, good progress on your car too, really keen on buying one of your front ends when available! I have been looking at other fibreglass parts from darkhorse racing? I need new wings and the cost of them here in the UK is sky high so started looking at alternatives but not sure of their fit and finish for a road car... Keep up your good work I will keep the updates and photos coming!

Front facia is pretty much ready for order. It's probably the only piece I can send to someone and it would be installed and painted way before I'm at they stage myself lol. If you want one fire off a private email to me and we can get it happening. I need to set up a paypal account still and things like that but at least it moves me into action if I know you need one.

As for my project I decided to do all the body and paint in my shop so I picked up a large compressor to run the sanders and lay paint. Never could say I painted a car myself but that needs to change. Still under the guidance of my good friend Danny at CFD

Not sure what Wings are.

Thanks, I will send an e-mail. Sorry forget the terminology here, wings are fenders in the UK.

With parts harder to buy off the shelf here in the UK and the time it can take to receive parts Scott has put his skills to the test and come up with these! Excellent work and impressive to see some amazing fabrication work!!

DSC02342.JPG

DSC02344.JPG

DSC02345.JPG

DSC02346.JPG

DSC02351.JPG

DSC02354.JPG

DSC02355.JPG

DSC02356.JPG

I have been looking at other fibreglass parts from darkhorse racing? I need new wings and the cost of them here in the UK is sky high so started looking at alternatives but not sure of their fit and finish for a road car...
Just last week there were some fibreglass wing moulds for '71-73' Mustangs on Ebay UK. May still be up? Given your fab skills you could surely make your own with the moulds? Maybe sell a few more on MOCGB, Classic Mustang etc?

I have been looking at other fibreglass parts from darkhorse racing? I need new wings and the cost of them here in the UK is sky high so started looking at alternatives but not sure of their fit and finish for a road car...
Just last week there were some fibreglass wing moulds for '71-73' Mustangs on Ebay UK. May still be up? Given your fab skills you could surely make your own with the moulds? Maybe sell a few more on MOCGB, Classic Mustang etc?
Wish I had those skills and can not claim as my work. Very lucky to know Scott who is working on my car. I am trying to help when I can but all the fabricating and welding is Scott's handywork.

Just looked on eBay and can not see them. Would have been amazing to get hold of them!! I joined MOCGB when I first got my coupe but have not spent much time since finding this site, will need to take a look again and share my project now I have some good progress to show.

Hi your skills are werry good and your going to have a special Mustang[emoji2] So keep up the good work[emoji6] Regards DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73
Thanks but my skill was getting lucky in knowing the guy Scott with the fabrication skills. Have always had a goal and idea of how my car will be and so pleased with the progress so far. Still a long way to go....

Hi Duncan, thanks for the heads up, found them and looks like I may have just purchased them... Would be interested to know how many people would be interested in them? I know it would depend on the quality and price but will need to find out and need to get a set produced to see how they turn out.

Hi yes it's great to have a good friend to help you with the things that are hard? But your are the owner and it's you who have been planning what he should produce? Regards DK73
Thanks DK, yes it is a great help! It has been my plan/idea (mad or otherwise to change to an IRS) and have always known what I want the car to be with the Jag parts and the appearance, especially for it to be an updated and more modern staight six. As with all plans they can and do change as the project evolves and with Scotts input and technical knowhow it is taking shape.

Hi, sorry not had much to post recently having had to wait for some parts to ship and trying to work out an alternative to the standard steering box. I know these are better than earlier cars but really would like to convert to rack and pinion and seem to have an answer. Waiting for a rack to arrive to confirm that it can be made to work, I will update with the results.

Scott has been working away and now have nearly all panels required to be rust free.

DSC02390.JPG

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02395.JPG

DSC02387.JPG

Hi thank you four your feedback ;-) Your Mustang is gona be one off a kindB-) What you are doing would newer be posibel ind Denmark:-( Becaus wee have to keep it originale as it whas when it left the manifaktor. Regards DK73

Regards DK73

Hey Stewart. Got your email thx. These shots are cool. I don't know what your plans are having to do with the final stance of the car or even your choice in wheels and tires but I was wondering if your going to mount the inner wheel well tubs in the stock position or are you going to raise them an inch or two so you can hunker the car down in the rear and still have travel?

Hey Stewart. Got your email thx. These shots are cool. I don't know what your plans are having to do with the final stance of the car or even your choice in wheels and tires but I was wondering if your going to mount the inner wheel well tubs in the stock position or are you going to raise them an inch or two so you can hunker the car down in the rear and still have travel?
Hi Angelo, thanks. Great looking progress on your car too, it will look truly awesome and perfect styling and enhancement!

Will be mounting the inner well tubs in the stock position as the ride height and stance has been calculated with the positioning of the Jag IRS. I will need to order/choose the offset to fill the arches and have a few wheel styles/designs in mind but not yet decided on the final size/width until all back together and back on the ground.

A few shots to update with repairs and strengthening to the rear section before stitching back together in the New Year.

DSC02456.JPG

DSC02458.JPG

DSC02463.JPG

DSC02464.JPG

DSC02473.JPG

DSC02425.JPG

Back