1971 Coupe resto-mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Lars, I am in the UK and luckily we can do quite a lot to modify. An original car is great and to see cars like yours in original trim is great! Since the start I have always wanted the 6 cylinder engine and am so pleased to see the Jag engine in the engine bay! I know less powerful than some choices but it is supercharged and 320+ bhp is a good starting point!! With some tuning and extras I can aim for more when on the road and finished.

Well I'm so jealous of what you can do with your car's in America! [WINKING FACE] Wee can't do much to them. Wee shall keep them as originall as possible. But I am inspired by how many people are given us there version of the Mustang 71-73 ?[THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73 ?

Hi ups sorry for the wrong Country:shootself::huh: Hobe it's okay... But yes i am glad to own my original Mach 1.... Which i am renoveting slowly Because i am ild. But it help Mee to have the Mustang... But wee in Denmark Must only do one thing whit Oure Car's... Because of regulation on Classik Car's... But as I did on My car is My engien which i did stroked whit all the best part's. From 351"-408" so it Now has all the power as it was a bigblock!!! That is so awesome engien :whistling::cool: But i Love your Work on yours!! Regards Lars

Haha! No problem Lars, most cars here are in the US but great to see lots of people from around the world with 71-73 Mustangs!

A few more photos from yesterday.

20151116_133313.jpg

20151116_184042.jpg

20151116_184117.jpg

20151116_184217.jpg

20151116_133326.jpg

Hi ups sorry for the wrong Country:shootself::huh: Hobe it's okay... But yes i am glad to own my original Mach 1.... Which i am renoveting slowly Because i am ild. But it help Mee to have the Mustang... But wee in Denmark Must only do one thing whit Oure Car's... Because of regulation on Classik Car's... But as I did on My car is My engien which i did stroked whit all the best part's. From 351"-408" so it Now has all the power as it was a bigblock!!! That is so awesome engien :whistling::cool: But i Love your Work on yours!! Regards Lars

Yes getting closer and more trial fitting of everything back in place now it is a rolling shell.

Most of the Jag bits fit but a few modifications required where the Jag inner wings/fenders meet the original Mustang panels. A few more photos...

20151119_190024.jpg

20151120_131245.jpg

20151202_132501.jpg

20151202_132517.jpg

Wow, after looking at some of the build threads like this on this forum mine looks pretty lame. I'm basically just building mine back to the way it was, not much fabricating. I'm really impressed with your skills and courage for taking on a project like this. Your really thinking outside of the box with the Jag swap. Keep up the good work. Ryan.

Thanks. Great to see all styles and interpretations, some by choice and most of mine due to being in the UK the Jag parts are easier to source and the straight six is different. Need to load some more pics, more good progress this week and coming together.

More pics before being stripped back down to turn over and finish the welding underneath. Propshaft (driveshaft in the US I think?) has been sent away for shortening.

Modified inner wing to accept Jag aribox

20151201_140800.jpg

20151201_140932.jpg

Interior and dash fitment

20151203_182905.jpg

20151203_182924.jpg

20151203_182948.jpg

20151204_135916.jpg

20151205_180607.jpg

You are really moving on it. Wow! Those seats look like they're made for the mustang. Fit perfectly. Dash looks great too. Are those back seats heated? Noticed a lot of wires underneath. Left you a lengthy email. We will catch up at your convenience Stuart.

Thanks Angelo, really pleased with the look of the interior and the fit is excellent!! Scott had some trimming here and there to get the dash to fit but means it will have a fully working and modern (ish) dash. Most of the wiring is just the way Jaguar wired everything up! Although not heated there is provision for it in the loom but will not be adding heated rears. The fronts are heated and with memory function.

All things going well it will have most of the Jag comforts. Great progress recently.

You are really moving on it. Wow! Those seats look like they're made for the mustang. Fit perfectly. Dash looks great too. Are those back seats heated? Noticed a lot of wires underneath. Left you a lengthy email. We will catch up at your convenience Stuart.

Has been a slow summer for one reason or another but there has been progress and some photos below. We can now think about the build process and the mechanicals should/will all go together reasonably smoothly, biggest job now will be bodywork and interior. Famous last words!!

Using the Jaguar inner wings has meant that the Mustang hood hinges do not fit or work, I had always wanted a forward hinging bonnet and with the incredible piece of kit fabricated by Scott I have now have this!!

IMAG0731.jpg

IMAG0732.jpg

IMAG0733.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks! It is a custom frame attached to the hood and custom brackets attached to the radiator panel. There are a number of gas struts to support it and ease it lifting/moving. Very well balanced and weighted.

Very nice! How is that attached to the body? :)

Hi Daniel, really pleased with the hood and how it works! I had a deadline when I started.... This has now passed over 2 years ago!!

The end is in sight however and the goal is to be able to take the car on a driving holiday June 2017. There will be future modifications (more power) that I will want to continue playing with but the biggest hurdles have been passed.

How is your project coming along? I am looking forward to seeing your car completed too!

Okay, that sounds like a really nice setup! I am looking forward to see that car completed, do you have a deadline? :)

Yes and that is what you should be, that is so cool what you have done to it, I really like it! We are in the same boat then, I had deadline for a year or two ago too! But I was in a situation where I could'nt afford what my dreams was about the car!

But it sounds nice with your goal, I am hoping to have my car on the road next summer too! So I am really besy, I was invited to a huge show in Norway in May next year, it's a indoor show, so I hope I make it in time!! :)

I have all the suspension parts ready to install, I am waiting for the brake kits and other stuff to show up from the dealer in USA. I am also in the stage of planning the engine build with a guy in Finland. I am also talking with the dealer about how the interior will be. So the project are moving forward, I just need to get my self together and get the body done, but I think you know that situation :D

Everyone experiences delays for one reason or another, me included. I've enjoyed watching all your builds. Look forward to future progress whenever it is.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Small update on progress...

Work has commenced on the preparation and finishing of the joins to the inner wings and under the hood to tidy up the joins. It will confuse a lot of people when the engine bay looks so different!

20161118_172332.jpg

20161118_172313.jpg

20161118_172321.jpg

Back