1971 Mustang ram air hood paint scheme

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stLove

Reaction score
My Car
71 J-code/SCJ 4-speed sportroof
72 Q-code/CJ C6 convertible
Quick question - did ALL 1971 Ram-Air cars get the two-tone hood scheme? I've been looking through photos of 1971 non-Mach 1 429 cars and almost all seem to have it. Question because we peeled back the paint on our 429 sportsroof's hood and did not find argent under the layers of paint. There is a possibility that the hood is not the original, but it certainly looks like it was a factory Grabber Blue Ram-Air hood, though there are no date code stampings to confirm what it originally came on. The hood hinges on the car are likely not the original, as they are dated September, 1970, while the car was built on August 14, 1970 and was released by Ford on August 17, 1970. The hinges and Mach 1 grille were probably lifted from the assembly line by the Ford worker who bought the car and installed (long story). The C-Code 429 cars all got the Ram Air hood, but did not have the argent or black treatment, so a Ram Air engine, Mach 1 package orTu-Tone option are presumably the 3 options that would get the black/argent hoods.

Our hood which is Grabber Blue (matches car but doesn't have argent), for reference:

WUdXggt.jpg

The following 429 Ram Air sportsroofs all have the hood effect:

mecum-indy-429stang-5.jpg

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/the-plain-package-this-1971-ford-mustang-429-scj-was-optioned-to-hurt-feelings/

1971-ford-mustang-scj-drag-pack-car

https://www.charliesclassiccars.com/vehicles/93/1971-ford-mustang-scj-drag-pack-car

1971_mustang_sportsroof__429_scj__drag___pack__1_of_1__rarest_4_lgw.jpg

http://tenwheel.com/view/32768-1971_mustang_sportsroof__429_scj__drag___pack__1_of_1__rarest.html

e7bULHY.jpg

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-269804/1971-ford-mustang-fastback/

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19680/lot/338/

19267_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-429-SCJ-FASTBACK-19267

maroomSprtsroof1a.jpg

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/gallery_8.htm

boblovell70.jpg

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/gallery_2.htm

This car is the lone standout - 429 sportsroof without the hood treatment. Looks like a pretty correct car?

102296_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-429-SCJ-FASTBACK-102296

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an original 73 with TuTone hood. 1971 was sort of the odd year for options. Different from 72 & 73. I am not up to speed on what was included in each option package. You need to find a copy of the 1971 Ford Facts Book. I know there is a 72 & 73 copy on here that I think Ray posted. 

Like in 72 if you got the Q code engine you got the NASA hood. You had to pay more for the TuTone hood and locks. In 73 you also got the NASA hood and the TuTone and hood locks cost you $18.00 more. 

With the variants of engines in 71 I do not know what came with what. You had the 429, M code, Q code and R code. The Ford Facts Book will tell you what came with each package. 

We have determined that all of the current available stencils are incorrect for the layout of the hoods. I did a rub off for a member who is working on getting it back to CAD so it can be made correct. Most people the the front area all wrong on the corner radius and how it goes back to the wider section. No current paints really duplicate the originals. 

BTW there is a date code on the hood has to be. Ford required date codes so if there is ever a recall or an issue you can segregate the parts. We even had to change for what shift they were ran on. I think it is on the rear on the inner reinforcement. Will see if I can find. I know on Mach 1 trunks the screwed up and stamped on the wrong side of the material on some and you cannot read.

Also the rear underside of all hoods got flat black to hide it better while sitting in the car.  Here are couple pics of my original car. If you go back and do a search hoods have been a hot topic last couple years.

I had one hood I could get to without lifting which I cannot do right now. I found the part number stamped on the inner before assembly it is at the rear right in front of the hose going through the hood for the windshield washer hose. 

I did find the assembly date code on the L.H. side about half way up the hood on the bump in the reinforcement. I never could find the number on my brown Mach 1 that has never been painted. For sure they hung the hoods on their side lots of runs under every hood going from drivers side to passenger side. Here are pics. I am pointing to where the stamp was for the inner before assembly and you can see the stamp in the middle part of the hood on L.H. side. 

If someone had done a delete on anything it will show up on a Marti and if it is special to paint or trim will have a six digit DSO code. Your Build sheet will also show anything special on the lower half. There were hundreds made each year. Marti has all the Special Paint cars listed in his book Mustang by the Numbers but he cannot tell you what was special he did not get specific info was destroyed by each District office. Should be 3 pics. 

Quick question - did ALL 1971 Ram-Air cars get the two-tone hood scheme? I've been looking through photos of 1971 non-Mach 1 429 cars and almost all seem to have it. Question because we peeled back the paint on our 429 sportsroof's hood and did not find argent under the layers of paint. There is a possibility that the hood is not the original, but it certainly looks like it was a factory Grabber Blue Ram-Air hood, though there are no date code stampings to confirm what it originally came on. The hood hinges on the car are likely not the original, as they are dated September, 1970, while the car was built on August 14, 1970 and was released by Ford on August 17, 1970. The hinges and Mach 1 grille were probably lifted from the assembly line by the Ford worker who bought the car and installed (long story). The C-Code 429 cars all got the Ram Air hood, but did not have the argent or black treatment, so a Ram Air engine, Mach 1 package orTu-Tone option are presumably the 3 options that would get the black/argent hoods.

Our hood which is Grabber Blue (matches car but doesn't have argent), for reference:

WUdXggt.jpg

The following 429 Ram Air sportsroofs all have the hood effect:

mecum-indy-429stang-5.jpg

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/the-plain-package-this-1971-ford-mustang-429-scj-was-optioned-to-hurt-feelings/

1971-ford-mustang-scj-drag-pack-car

https://www.charliesclassiccars.com/vehicles/93/1971-ford-mustang-scj-drag-pack-car

1971_mustang_sportsroof__429_scj__drag___pack__1_of_1__rarest_4_lgw.jpg

http://tenwheel.com/view/32768-1971_mustang_sportsroof__429_scj__drag___pack__1_of_1__rarest.html

e7bULHY.jpg

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-269804/1971-ford-mustang-fastback/

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19680/lot/338/

19267_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-429-SCJ-FASTBACK-19267

maroomSprtsroof1a.jpg

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/gallery_8.htm

boblovell70.jpg

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/gallery_2.htm

This car is the lone standout - 429 sportsroof without the hood treatment. Looks like a pretty correct car?

102296_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-429-SCJ-FASTBACK-102296

Factory ordered ‘71 J Code car’s came with the factory NACA hood paint scheme and chrome hood lock’s. I guess, back in the day one could ask the factory to delete the hood paint scheme as part of a special order request, but, there would be paperwork to back this up. My ‘71 J Code Vert has this hood paint/lock set up and this is the only additional colour on the car besides the body Pastel Blue colour.

WUdXggt.jpg

FWIW, all this could be answered by finding the date code stamp on the hood. IIRC, the stamps on mine were on the hinge pad location and are not visible installed. If it doesn't fall within the window prior to assembly, it's not original. The later date code on the hinges supports this theory.

Keep in mind that dealers can and did do whatever was necessary to make a sale. You don't like that goofy silver paint on the hood? No problem - we'll swap it with the plain one on that other car and put the locks and ram air in. for ya!

jowens.. if u go to "more" and search for "hood paint" there is a pic with some measurements. there is another one that's better info. it's a yellow hood with the measurements on it. that's what I used and gave to painter. I don't like matte on the hood for I wax it . mine is gloss

Mine is going into paint in the next month, do you have measurements?
There are pictures of my hood with scale showing measurements. There are no accurate measurements of the radii on the front. I just did a rub off and sent for another getting painted now. When he is finished he will send me the pattern back. Do a search should be on here several times.

WUdXggt.jpg

FWIW, all this could be answered by finding the date code stamp on the hood. IIRC, the stamps on mine were on the hinge pad location and are not visible installed.  If it doesn't fall within the window prior to assembly, it's not original. The later date code on the hinges supports this theory.

Keep in mind that dealers can and did do whatever was necessary to make a sale. You don't like that goofy silver paint on the hood? No problem - we'll swap it with the plain one on that other car and put the locks and ram air in. for ya!
No date codes anywhere on the hood or doors of this car, it's a very early build and built for FoMoCo usage. There are April, May, June and July, 1970 date codes on some of the parts, a few others are undated. It's full of anomalies despite never seeing a dealer. The door centers were cut by a later owner for weight reduction, so we tried to find a pair that matched up date-wise to replace them. After finding we had no date to match to, we had to buy another pair of donor doors to replace the chopped metal on the originals. The hood on this car has got the Grabber Blue base and it was painted a darker blue with the rest of the car, I figure it's a 50/50 chance it's the original. If it's not the original, it was lifted (along with the hinges) from the assembly line in September, 1970, as the Ford Technical Center employee bought the car on September 15, 1970, two/three weeks after the engine & trans were removed from the car by Dearborn Steel & Tubing (and the drag program cancelled). Whether the Ford employee got the original hood from DST, I guess we'll never know.

Our 72 Q convert is pretty straight-forward; body-colored ducted hood, no pins. Easy after some research. This 429 car needs a microscope for everything. Going with the theory that it was going to be a factory drag car, it would have looked totally different in 'finished' form, too (the 1970 Ford drag cars in blue got a white hood). Either way, the scales are tipped towards slapping the argent on it, since we have no concrete proof otherwise and a bare hood would therefore be seen as incorrect. Myself, my gut says the hood is the original and the stencil should stay off. The argent effect is beautiful, but we don't want to be adding something that wasn't installed at the factory.

WUdXggt.jpg

FWIW, all this could be answered by finding the date code stamp on the hood. IIRC, the stamps on mine were on the hinge pad location and are not visible installed.  If it doesn't fall within the window prior to assembly, it's not original. The later date code on the hinges supports this theory.

No date codes anywhere on the hood or doors of this car, it's a very early build and built for FoMoCo usage. There are April, May, June and July, 1970 date codes on some of the parts, a few others are undated. It's full of anomalies despite never seeing a dealer. The door centers were cut by a later owner for weight reduction, so we tried to find a pair that matched up date-wise to replace them. After finding we had no date to match to, we had to buy another pair of donor doors to replace the chopped metal on the originals. The hood on this car has got the Grabber Blue base and it was painted a darker blue with the rest of the car, I figure it's a 50/50 chance it's the original. If it's not the original, it was lifted (along with the hinges) from the assembly line in September, 1970, as the Ford Technical Center employee bought the car on September 15, 1970, two/three weeks after the engine & trans were removed from the car by Dearborn Steel & Tubing (and the drag program cancelled). Whether the Ford employee got the original hood from DST, I guess we'll never know.

Our 72 Q convert is pretty straight-forward; body-colored ducted hood, no pins. Easy after some research. This 429 car needs a microscope for everything. Going with the theory that it was going to be a factory drag car, it would have looked totally different in 'finished' form, too (the 1970 Ford drag cars in blue got a white hood). Either way, the scales are tipped towards slapping the argent on it, since we have no concrete proof otherwise and a bare hood would therefore be seen as incorrect. Myself, my gut says the hood is the original and the stencil should stay off. The argent effect is beautiful, but we don't want to be adding something that wasn't installed at the factory.
The date codes on the doors would have been in the part they cut out I would guess would have to go look. One of our members found the other factory Boss 351 drag car that was being built in California in a warehouse. Had all the paperwork with it. Another departed member here built the Ford backed drag race engines and he still had the one built for the Boss 351. Since it had been on the shelf for over 40 years they tore it down. The only cylinder that was within NHRA spec. was the Right Front the one they measured. Also the front two cylinders were the only stock stroke the other 6 had been stroked and it had a hidden internal Nitro system. I haven't heard anymore about it. The builder of the engine also did Bob Glidden's engines. 

I am sure you have tried to contact those that worked at the place doing the race prep. Maybe just anyone that worked there.

jowens.. if u go to "more" and search for "hood paint" there is a pic with some measurements. there is another one that's better info. it's a yellow hood with the measurements on it. that's what I used and gave to painter. I don't like matte on the hood for I wax it . mine is gloss
Thanks for the guidance, Jowens. I found the reference in "more" under "hood paint" with detailed measurements. Your preference for gloss over matte due to waxing considerations is noted, providing helpful insights for those following suit.Nrega

Last edited:
Back