1973 Mustang non tilt wheel. Trying to install a tilt one . Don’t have the coupler or plate I have the turn signal switch OEM . Anyone has the parts .

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you referring to the rag joint? Or an internal column part? I just replaced my standard column with a tilt column so just lived that reality but I wasn't sure which part you are asking about.

The rag joint on the tilt column I bought was shot. I purchased a new rag joint for the tilt column from Rock auto for about $20.00. You will need to know if the input shaft diameter on your steering gear is 3/4" or 13/16". My '71 Mach 1 had the larger 13/16" input shaft, and the Loren brand part number 201 fit very well. You can measure your input shaft diameter and order the steering coupler from them. Yours is a '73 so I checked rockauto.com's website and '73's have the same part numbers so it should be the same.

Here is a pic of the new and old steering coupler:

Tilt column rim blow wheel  22.jpg

Here is the steering column and the steering coupler installed:

Tilt column rim blow wheel  36.jpg

As far as the firewall plate I think they are the same from the standard to the tilt column at least they look the same to me. Admittedly, there are far more Mustang-knowledgeable members on this forum than I am, but they sure look the same to me. Here is a pic of my standard column out of my car and the tilt column before I installed it in my car. Note that the small 1" wide 2' long plate across the opening was broken off the plate on the tilt column and hanging on by a thread, so it is missing in this picture. The large opening on the plate looks even larger without it going across the middle of the opening, but it was there originally like the standard column has. Also the plates look different because they are at different clock positions in the pics. If you turned the tilt column's plate in the picture counter-clockwise a little less than half a turn, they would match up. You should be able to use the plate from your standard column. I think that the only way to get the plate off without pulling the steering shaft would be to break that litle bridge off the plate. I think that may have been how mine was broken. I bought the seal for the plate from NPD.

Tilt column rim blow wheel  39.jpgMach 1 798.jpg

Mach 1 799.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much it gives me a lot of hope swapping mine with a tilt one will work I had no idea I would run into these issues because I’m thinking ok I have a 73 with no tilt and I had just bought a tilt column out of a 73 . I’m sending the tilt column to be gone through by a shop that rebuilds them in the Sacramento area . I also have a turn signal switch for a tilt column. I also bought the exact same rug joint from CJ pony than the one you showed in the photo. BTW great pictures and I’m amaze how clean your car looks. As soon as I get my tilt column back I’ll remove the non tilt so I can compare parts . Again thank you very much.

I did the same, although couldn't find anyone local to me that did Ford tilt columns so I had to do it myself. I went through the column cleaned and greased where necessary. I painted the bowls while I had the column apart and reassembled with new turn signal and ignition switches. That way I knew I was starting out fresh with everything in good working order. I installed the column a couple weeks ago, I just need to install the wheel yet. I need to finish the restoration of the wood blow steering wheel that I bought with the tilt column and my steering column project will be done. I detailed the the column and steering restoration in my build thread here. It is named "71 Mach 1 Resto Project" in the build forums if you're interested.

BTW, your car looks amazing! I love that color combination, the paint looks flawless. Did you lay that down yourself? Just wondering, either way, it looks great!

Tilt column rim blow wheel  37.jpgTilt column rim blow wheel  38.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Jorge and a warm welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.
Glad you joined us on the forum. You'll get far more help here than on FB to solve the issue.
If your PS box is the original Saginaw 800, the input shaft will be 13/16". The problem is getting something to fit the tilt end shaft. As I said on FB, why the two were made differently, I have no idea, but they are.
Here is a link to just one of the threads on the subject.
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/ne...ilt-column-rag-joint-please.42562/post-441939
Anyway good luck moving forward.
Geoff.

Last edited:
Don't forget to buy the foam rubber gasket for the steering flange to the firewall....elsewise you'll have road spray water and debris penetrating into the cab and all over your feet.

I did the same, although couldn't find anyone local to me that did Ford tilt columns so I had to do it myself. I went through the column cleaned and greased where necessary. I painted the bowls while I had the column apart and reassembled with new turn signal and ignition switches. That way I knew I was starting out fresh with everything in good working order. I installed the column a couple weeks ago, I just need to install the wheel yet. I need to finish the restoration of the wood blow steering wheel that I bought with the tilt column and my steering column project will be done. I detailed the the column and steering restoration in my build thread here. It is named "71 Mach 1 Resto Project" in the build forums if you're interested.

BTW, your car looks amazing! I love that color combination, the paint looks flawless. Did you lay that down yourself? Just wondering, either way, it looks great!

View attachment 85463View attachment 85464
Glad you did it yourself I was going to take apart but found a shop in the Sacramento area so I Hopi can have the tilt column soon. I had a body shop do all the painting and metal work he did a great job for a very cheap price. You car looks very clean inside. What color is it?

Glad you did it yourself I was going to take apart but found a shop in the Sacramento area so I Hopi can have the tilt column soon. I had a body shop do all the painting and metal work he did a great job for a very cheap price. You car looks very clean inside. What color is it?
Thank you, it is going to be Wimbledon white, I have been restoring it for the last two years or so. It is mechanically done and all the sheet metal work and body work are completed. I painted the inside and now I need to get it in to a friends body shop when he can fit it in. I am hopefully going to use his spray booth to paint the car. I am hoping I can squeeze it in in the next month otherwise I have another friend that owns a body shop but he would want to paint it. He Is an excellent painter so it will probably come out better, but I like being able to say I did it all myself if possible.

Thank you, it is going to be Wimbledon white, I have been restoring it for the last two years or so. It is mechanically done and all the sheet metal work and body work are completed. I painted the inside and now I need to get it in to a friends body shop when he can fit it in. I am hopefully going to use his spray booth to paint the car. I am hoping I can squeeze it in in the next month otherwise I have another friend that owns a body shop but he would want to paint it. He Is an excellent painter so it will probably come out better, but I like being able to say I did it all myself if possible.

That sounds great . It’s hard for some people to understand the satisfaction you get when you know and do most of the work. I’ve done a lot of the work myself too right now I’m working or trying to make the console clock work again I got two one works sometimes the other one has burn wires on the coils , I installed new wires and tries to work but I think something in the movement is stock . Keep up the good work.

Are you referring to the rag joint? Or an internal column part? I just replaced my standard column with a tilt column so just lived that reality but I wasn't sure which part you are asking about.
Yes I was referring to the rug joint/coupler fortunately I already found one, my other question is I heard the floor plate is also different i haven’t removed my non tilt column yet because I sent the tilt column to be rebuilt. I found a plate for sale on classic west coast cougars which share parts with mustangs but the description doesn’t say if it is for a tilt or non tilt column . I appreciate any information. Thanks

Yes I was referring to the rug joint/coupler fortunately I already found one, my other question is I heard the floor plate is also different i haven’t removed my non tilt column yet because I sent the tilt column to be rebuilt. I found a plate for sale on classic west coast cougars which share parts with mustangs but the description doesn’t say if it is for a tilt or non tilt column . I appreciate any information. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1591.png
    IMG_1591.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
That's the piece I was saying looks the same to me on my standard and my tilt columns. Unfortunately, my tilt column is installed now otherwise I would take a pic of both of them lined up next to each other for you. I did use a caliper to measure the lower tube of each column and they are same diameter, so the clamp will fit both and the firewall is the same with or without tilt so the bolt pattern is the same. I can't see any reason why you can't just remove the one off the standard column you removed from your car and reuse that plate on the tilt column that your are installing. In retrospect, I wish that came to mind before I installed my tilt column. I would have used the one off of the standard column, it was in much better condition.

That's the piece I was saying looks the same to me on my standard and my tilt columns. Unfortunately, my tilt column is installed now otherwise I would take a pic of both of them lined up next to each other for you. I did use a caliper to measure the lower tube of each column and they are same diameter, so the clamp will fit both and the firewall is the same with or without tilt so the bolt pattern is the same. I can't see any reason why you can't just remove the one off the standard column you removed from your car and reuse that plate on the tilt column that your are installing. In retrospect, I wish that came to mind before I installed my tilt column. I would have used the one off of the standard column, it was in much better condition.
Thanks and yes until I remove mine I’ll know if it’s the same. Have a great day

Back