20" wheels on '71-'73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just my two cents from experience: The 18x10 o the rear will work fine because that's just what I have. Now up front, I have 18x9 inch and they give me some slight problems because the 255/45/18 tires would rub. (Ok, I admit, that it was after I lowered the car to todays level. With the one inch shorter coils alone there was no problem). Now I have a 245/45/18 and it is much narrower than the rim which does not really look good. It's a detail but I don't really like it. Plus if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, the tires will rub on the inner frame rail. That happens with the original Magnum rims too, so I think that's not a big problem.

But it leads me to the conclusion that a wider rim or tire will probably cause issues in the front. If I were to buy new rims, I would stick with 18s but I wouldn't go wider than 8 or 8.5 so that the tire looks good on it.

My fenders are not rolled by the way, so you may have a slight advantage on me in that field.

My rims are also for a 2005 up Mustang and have too much backspace. I use a 40mm adapter behind them which works like a charm and put the rim just where it's supposed to be int the wheel well.

Those steelies won't stay orange for sure... it was only a test paint. Orange would work with all blacked out car but with argent stripes doesn't work.

Am I the only one to notice the "U HO" white letters on the tire? LOL

If you were to paint the orange areas black - that would be pretty sick. ::thumb::

Am I the only one to notice the "U HO" white letters on the tire?
Nope. I did too :)
Glad that you did noticed… UHO = undentified horsing object…:dodgy:

Noup, actually UHO comes from two different things.

UHO is translated in English as a “bluster”! Yes, it’s all about the spirit of the Mach 1…

Secondly in 2012 when I painted the U HO - I celebrated my friends Street C class drag racing national Championship for the year 2012. My friends nickname is UHO = bluster… He’s a true Ford partisan and full of blue Ford bluster!!!! He drove his fox bodied Mustang to low 8s until it flipped at the dragrace strip in Kalajoki at Finland. He walked away but the car was bruced, he’s building a new Ford at the moment.

$(KGrHqUOKoYE10FPUd)7BNuMFl6zzw~~_12.jpg049-7.jpgC85121.jpgphat1.jpg19s.jpg54f5_3.jpg325_190421_27eb1929-90cf-426c-afd9-92c6a3a80cce.jpg8142006%20140.jpg

here are some I've found over the years with 20 inch wheels. the orange and black convertible has 22 on the rear and 20 on the front. the black fastback has 19's. the red and black fastback has 22 in back and 20 up front.

I like the black and orange convertible because it has that Chip Foose vibe. The others don't cut it for me. The fastback with 22 looks ridiculous. IMHO.

And the guys here know that I do dig big rims...

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks,

Just wanted to throw my 2 cent's worth in and make a point in passing if i may. We all know very well that when i comes to choosing wheels and tires for our Mustangs, it's always a matter of personal preference as to what people like or dislike for themselves personally.

The age old argument of "I hate that look or I love that look" could go on forever. I have my own personal opinion as to what i like and don't like, as we all do.The main thing for people, is to give ground and respect for other people's preferences that we ourselves don't like or care for.

So to get to the point,and being an old fart myself:D, one of the big design style looks of the Sixties and Seventies fashion for wheels and tires, that i loved back then, and still do today very much, was how wide the rubber was and how wide and deep the wheel was. Overall wheel and tire diameter sizes, were not the big issue back in those days, as opposed to how wide the setups were. Popular fashion back then was the wider the wheels were, and the deeper the front dish was, the more fashionable and popular they were.

As the decades have gone on, the fashion has drifted into the emphasis being on wheel diameter size as opposed to wheel width. Wheel diameter size seems to be in fashion today, especially with the younger folk. The old deep front dish look has made way for a more shallow, flat faced design in wheels.The new style 20inch wheel look with the pencil thin tires on, reminds me of the old Roman chariot wheels that went on the chariots.:)

So my point is, that on our old clasic Mustangs, i really believe that the old school wide,deep dish wheels look beautiful on our cars, and compliment them very much. But as i said before, that's just one man's opinion, and nothing more.

Below are examples of what i'm trying to say.

aloha68camaro-01-02.jpghero1.jpg243.JPG20-3.jpg

Greg.:)

attachment.php
I'm no big tire fan, but whoever did this one really pulled it off well. Stance is perfect.

The rocket-ship styling of the Sportsroof lends itself to being slammed, I'll admit that. Very Thunderbirds (and by that, I mean the animated show).

-Kurt

I like the black and orange convertible because it has that Chip Foose vibe. The others don't cut it for me. The fastback with 22 looks ridiculous. IMHO.

And the guys here know that I do dig big rims...
That's pretty much how I feel about the pics above as well... however, I agree with Kurt that the lowered blue FB looks much better than the other FBs.

I'm right there with Greg, being a bigger fan of the old school look. However, it's all a matter of personal taste (until I see a '71-'73 DONK, that is - then, look out cuz there's a bashin' comin'). rofl

I had oldschool on my car and I was certainly no fan. MY car had atleast 12 inch wide American racing solid wheels in back that hung out past end of the fender. They were 15's in the rear and 14 up front. I now have 17's front and back. The car has not been lowered in the pic but when it is it will just need a little taller tires to be perfect. The old tires provided a softer ride for sure and I bought tires with 40 sidewall height and I plan to go to 50. The original tires were 75's up front and 65's in the rear.

20140319_145553_zps62e152e5.jpg

car wheels.jpg

20140319_145541_zps9cbae5de (2).jpg

mustang wheels2.jpg

I'm no big tire fan, but whoever did this one really pulled it off well. Stance is perfect.

The rocket-ship styling of the Sportsroof lends itself to being slammed, I'll admit that. Very Thunderbirds (and by that, I mean the animated show).

-Kurt
This purple car belongs to a guy in norway, the car is acually painted white now. it has airbags,thats why it sits so low.

its all a matter of taste I guess, the older guys like those 15 cragers or magnum 500 wheels. Us young guys like the bigger wheels. However, the larger wheels create alot more problem with the car stance because these older stangs have very low wheelwell openings. In my opinion a 17" wheel is the largest wheel that fits comfortably to these cars. once you go bigger, the car sits even higher from the ground, the wheel starts to tuck into the wheelwell. Which really looks like crap when the car is sitting high off the ground. so, you go from the classic tug boat look to the donk look. The real way to put larger wheels on these car and make it look correct is to bring the body down closer to the ground and raise rear wheelwell openings. That way the larger wheels fit the car. On my car I'm going to run an 18 on the front and 20 on the back. But, I used NOS quarters and didn't want to cut them up. So, I added metal to the bottom of the car and tapered it from 1.25 in the front to 2.00 inches in the back. With same size wheels the car it looks like its sitting lower in the back but, with the larger rear wheel raising the cars height,that levels the bottom of the car with the ground, creating a natural raked look. I also have airbag suspension,narrowed rear and custom wheel house so, everything tucks when its dropped. Another good thing about adding the metal to the bottom of the car is that it hides subframe connectors and exhaust,etc.

CAM00224.jpgstill do www.7173modstangs.com

I've been working on the interior when I get time between other customers cars. I just completed the dash board. Its completely custom built from scratch. Using a 2010 steering wheel, billet round a/c vents, autometer gauges, double din screen with backup camera,etc.

Modstangs, thanks for the excellent post. So far I have not received a single picture from 20” wheels, so thanks a bunch – take o cup of coffee on me! And feel free to download the pic of my stang with 20” Magnum 500 wheels. I would need to lower the front again to receive the good stance & rake for the 20”. Let see where it goes.

Yellow, grabber blue and the poly blue metallic versions do work as does the Norwegian & convertible. They are all has low standing height – they look good. The few of those has the donk look due to big wheels and practically unlowered suspension.

Take a look at this selling add. It’s a Finnish webpage selling cars. There’s a ’71 Sportsroof for sale, it’s a wheel companys car, so there are few pictures in the add with wheels from 18” – 20”. It doesn’t look bad even with 20” wheels when the front is low enough.

Take a look at the pictures from the adds:

http://www.nettiauto.com/ford/mustang/3216555#yritys=isojoenmotors

still do www.7173modstangs.com

I've been working on the interior when I get time between other customers cars. I just completed the dash board. Its completely custom built from scratch. Using a 2010 steering wheel, billet round a/c vents, autometer gauges, double din screen with backup camera,etc.
Nice custom dash, good to see someone getting creative with a project. I'm going with a double din and custom 6.5 kick panels.

Back